big 3d hdtv recommendation request.

actually my previous tv was a dlp and it had a lifetime of about two years, after which I would have had to change a lamp but I sold the whole piece of shit instead. Didn't like it.

If you want projector, go with JVC, I think they just had a line of 3D projectors released recently. I am going the 3D projector route if 3D ever takes off. At the moment contents are just too few for all the trouble and money.

Ohh also glasses comfort, I like Samsung best. Pansonic's not so comfortable. But I really wished they make them glasses bigger and lighter and less nerdy looking.

It's not entirely impossible that LCDs will actually overtake plasma in cross talk.

The state of the art in plasma phosphor decay time seems about 4 msec, the state of the art response time for LCD is about the same. It's a lot easier for LCD to use segmented backlights to hide the transition than it is for plasma though. At 4 msec to completely get rid of ghosting Plasmas would have to essentially stop using half their refresh period (so PWM in 4 msec, phosphor decay for 4 msec ... then frame for the next eye). Which means driving the backplane at 1200 Hz ... not easy.

2 clicks on my link there you go:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283907
with the test pattern you can judge it yourself.

I don know if less hold time is the answer... DLP has 8 msec hold time, this means that you always see with one eye, I consider this an advantage, add that to zero ghosting and field sequential color , honestly I don know whats not to like. Maybe Im lucky I dont see RBE at all ( nor jaggies @ 720p s3d).

Sure LCD will be around, OCB LCD looks better tech to me than AMOLED. PMOLED might looks cool too. Its early to judge.

DLP has 8 msec hold time
Actually DLP has ~0.5 msec "hold time" ... it uses PWM, just like plasma. Just without any decay time and at higher frequencies since it's colour sequential.
this means that you always see with one eye
Nope, DLP is only sample and hold for binary patterns. LCOS is sample and hold in grayscale, but no one is making projection TVs with that any more I think.

DLPs are hard to come by these days. The stores in my city only carry plasma/LCD.

at the moment 60" plasma without 3d (LG 60PK250N) sells for 1500 euros while 63" plasma with 3d goes for 3200 euros. I'm thinking whether or not it even makes sense to insist going for 3d at this time. On the other hand I could argue that buying a non 3d tv at this point makes no sense either. I can't make up my mind. There's like 1 3d blu ray available but there are many 3d playstation games and I think future ati cards could output games too...

So is projector technology worthwhile for screen sizes above 60"? How much are we looking at for a decent setup which can be useable during the day with the curtains drawn?

If you can wait until the Xmas sales that would be the best time to buy.

The LG plasma is highly rated by the way, and having had first hard experience with the Panasonic and Samsung plasma's they are both very decent sets.

Personally not interested in 3D TV until back end of 2011 for me - if you think you will be making use of the feature extensively I guess it would be worth it for you, otherwise you are just paying the "early adaptors" tax.

So is projector technology worthwhile for screen sizes above 60"? How much are we looking at for a decent setup which can be useable during the day with the curtains drawn?

Three solutions.

1. (obvious) rear projection ,whole lot of work, 600+

2. (very expensive) front projection screen with dark finish, instant gratification for 2000+ bucks

3. (diy) front projection plus (ultra) high gain screen , lot of work.

Many manufacturers market this third variant, for example: http://www.alltecstores.com/Project...ABRIC-HDTV-FORMAT-PROJECTOR-SCREEN-49343.html

Ambient light is the mortal enemy of front projection, and most projectors and projection screens create washed out images with the curtains are open or when the lights are on,” said David Rodgers, marketing manager, Elite Screens, Inc.
Elite’s StarBright 7 advanced HCF multi-layered material focuses light into a concentrated 90 degree half-gain cone that is ideal for use in a tough ambient light presence. Its primary impression layer enhances video color balance to produce an even spread of light and brilliant colors for a consistently bright image across the whole screen. All audience members see a consistent, bright image, even with ...
MOCOM, Vutec also make screens like this. Also you can ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Complements well with this one.

Customer reviews of that are legendary.

Transmission of music data at rates faster than the speed of light seemed convenient, until I realized I was hearing the music before I actually wanted to play it. Apparently Denon forgot how accustomed most of us are to unidirectional time and the general laws of physics. I tried to get used to this effect but hearing songs play before I even realized I was in the mood for them just really screwed up my preconceptions of choice and free will. I'm still having a major existential hangover.

Would not purchase again.

Spooky

Another great review ;)

I knew my day was going to improve when the truck pulled up at my home with this cable deep within. No ordinary truck, this one was Holy White, and the gold Delivery logo sparkled like a thousand suns reflected through shards of the purest ice formed with unadulterated water collected at the beginning of the universe. The driver, clad in a robe colored the softest of white, floated towards me on the cool fog of a hundred fire extinguishers. He smiled benevolently, like a father looking down upon his only child, and handed me a package wrapped in gold beaten thin to the point where you could see through it. I didn't have to sign, because the driver could see within my heart, and knew that I was pure. Upon opening the package, an angelic choir started to sing, and reached a crescendo as I laid this cable on my stereo system. Instantly, my antiquated equipment transformed into components made from the clearest diamond-semiconductor. The cable knew where to go, and hooked itself into the correct ports without help from me - all the while, the choir sang praises to the almighty digital god. With trepidation, I pushed "play," and was instantly enveloped in a sound that echoed the creation of all matter, a sound that vibrated every cell in my body to perfection. I was instantly taken to the next plane, where I saw the all-father. I knew with my entire soul, that all was good in the world.

But then I realized the cable was blue, so I only gave it one star. I hate blue.

Back