big 3d hdtv recommendation request.

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I'm probably going to be moving to a new house with the family and I managed to convince my wife that the new house won't work without a ridiculously large 3d hdtv.

So I'm looking to replace my (non 3d) 40" lcd with a 60"ish plasma or led tv.

Budget ~3000 euros

Not sure of the cost in europe , but samsung has a 63inch plasma in the states that is 600hz and is 3d and comes with 2 sets of glasses and costs $2800 .

Otherwise if you want a 60inch led tv here in the states your looking at $4k for it

okay, well. Let's relax the price a little as I think I'll be buying it no earlier than january, which is when I'm hoping prices will come down a little such that what is now 4k will be 3k then. :)

Cleveland Plasma carries the Panasonic TC-P65VT25 for $3,800 right now. That is the best TV currently being sold. The 58" version is $2,800, and the 54" is $2,550.

They carry the Samsung PN63C8000 for $3000. That is another great choice and I don't think the 65" Panny is worth the extra $800.

Sorry I don't know how the Euro prices compare.

Wow, the EU market is really getting stiffed here ... we can't get the latest generation a half year after it's introduction and the prices are way higher than VAT can justify. Too much inventory?

Hmm, Samsung the same thing ... god damn collusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleveland Plasma carries the Panasonic TC-P65VT25 for $3,800
<snip>

Sorry I don't know how the Euro prices compare.

The P65VT20 Panny is 31.695 DKK here in Denmark, which equates to $5935 ($4748 without VAT). We can't even buy the VT25 yet.

:cry:

Cheers

How's the LG 60PX950? They aren't fucking their EU customers, so that speaks in their favour.

The P65VT20 Panny is 31.695 DKK here in Denmark, which equates to $5935 ($4748 without VAT). We can't even buy the VT25 yet.

:cry:

Cheers

Holy crap :oops:

FWIW the VT20 is essentially identical to the VT25 so no reason to worry about that.

Panasonic have like different models and sizes for different regions. Even the similar model will have different features in different regions. I think there is also Mitsubishi Laservue in that size.

For your budget I think the recommended Samsung is your best bet. The Panasonic isn't that much better.

Does Samsung PS63C7705XXE ring any bells to anyone, would I be making a huge mistake if I bought that? Is it old? loud? very very hot? It's 3200 euros as of now...

I've never had a plasma tv and the only way to get it would be delivered to home so with no comparisons or anything I feel like buying a pig in a sack.

I would be using it for console games and 3d blu rays.

Alternatively I could get 55" led tv LG 55LX950N.

I kind of feel like bigger is better though.

Kinda hard to tell, but that looks to be the equivalent of the 7000 series plasmas they offer here in the states. I use the 50" version of that to demo 3D to customers, and it is definitely a great TV.

The differences between that and the 8000 series are few but important IMHO. For example, the 7000 do not have the "Cinema Smooth" mode to display 24Hz material correctly. 7000 series also lacks the "Real Black Filter" found on the 8000 series that preserves black levels better in high light conditions. The other key feature missing from the 7000 series is motion interpolation like you get with 120+Hz LCDs, also found on the 8000 series. Personally I would only use this feature for sports, but it's nice to have.

It is worth noting that Samsung lists the Real Black Filter on the product page for the PS63C7705, although this could be a mistake.
http://www.samsung.com/fi/consumer/...SXXE/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

P.S. here's a tip. The 7000 series and 8000 series plasmas are physically identical aside from the Real Black Filter. It is possible to go into the service menu on the 7000 series and change the model # to 8000 series, and get all the features of the 8000 series. Yes I have done this and it works.

As for plasma vs LCD, I cannot think of any reason to get an LCD these days unless you plan to use it primarily as a PC monitor. Plasma offers more value at every price point, and IMHO even the midrange plasmas look better than the über expensive LED-backlit LCDs, aside from the über über expensive full array local dimming LED-backlit models which are actually quite difficult to find these days.

Talk about confusing product names...

So maybe 8000 series is 7000 series in europe, just rebranded?

I would be surprised if the thing didn't have that real black filter feature if its marketted like that.

also they seem to list cinema smooth on the specs page http://tinyurl.com/3yo3xj3 (Kyllä means yes in Finnish :))

The biggest 8000 series in Europe for Samsung seems PS58B859, no 2010 models yet though ... and we are pretty fucking far into 2010.

PS. hell, Finland seems screwed worse still than over here.

Talk about confusing product names...

So maybe 8000 series is 7000 series in europe, just rebranded?

I would be surprised if the thing didn't have that real black filter feature if its marketted like that.

also they seem to list cinema smooth on the specs page http://tinyurl.com/3yo3xj3 (Kyllä means yes in Finnish :))

These companies have been known to have erroneous product pages, so I would check into that on AVS forum or something. I know they listed the C7000 as having Cinema Smooth for a while and I can confirm that it does not.

But in different region the features maybe different though. That's why the model number is different. It's like Panasonic S2 for America and S20 for Europe. They are the same S series comes with similar features but there are some difference, AFAIK. And as for Samsung C7000 is flagship model in other regions so it may have all the features of the C8000 like Cinema Smooth.

Yeah I'm not saying for certain that it doesn't have those features, just that you might want to check around and make sure the product page is correct.

Well I fired up a question directly at Samsung. Let's see if I get a response. Meanwhile I'll still look out for other options.

Back