Beyond new Quantic Dreams game

Havent you watched Akira? ;)

Oh, yes, was my first Anime (back in the VHS days)!

But, even though the story is sometimes a bit strange for me, it is a real story and you do not feel any "lets put in x to put in x" or "lets put in x because I like x". I know you were kidding a bit, but nice to remind me of Akira. Need to watch it again...

Now, if in a video game the writer manages to make me jealous of a different character and then live out certain feelings with gusto, wow! But just to make a path to "next time I will kill all of you", pretty please :rolleyes: .

But, enough of my rambling, maybe all of my fears will be unfounded and all the great parts of Heavy Rain will be improved on (no classical game over screen, story branching (too bad this is so unused)) and the bad parts are gone or not so obvious (voice actors with thick accents, some cardboard characters, way too much below average writing, stupid "lets turn everything around to make a surprise ending").

Arwin, damn I read that spoiler, thought it is not much of an info, hopefully I will forget it until the game is out ;) .

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:
The graphical improvements will definitely have a big impact in a game like this. It allows the actors to do what they do best - act. It isn't just voice acting. You can see a real performance in the characters face, and in their movements. It made a huge difference in LA Noire, and I believe it will be the same case here. My only disappointment with the footage is that it seems to be less an adventure type game, and more a long QTE like Dragon's Lair. There is a place for those types of games, but I'd prefer a game a little heavier on puzzles or mechanics. Maybe it's just what they chose to show. Either way, if it's an entertaining story, and the acting is pretty good, then it might not be a bad experience.

Erm.. this looks like it could be "played" by a blu-ray deck?

I really liked how they nailed the reflections in the eyes. Companies should really take in consideration this kind of eye details for future consoles (in case it´s a tech limitation), specially in sport titles. We have seen sport titles advance a lot during this gen, like the MLB the Show series, but the lack of reflection or realistic behaviour of the eyes of the players bring some kind of uncanny valley feeling when playing them.

Hm, I am just not sure about the super natural stuff...I liked Heavy Rain, the mood, the music and for being real grounded with good and interesting story...similar to say 'Seven'.

Now this looks to be kind of mystery, X Files, superhero game watching those few available scenes...I have difficulties at the moment to adjust to this, feels not right at the moment.

I'm staying away from all the promo materials for Quantic Dream's games from this point onwards.

Titles like The Last of Us and Beyond are interesting because they are "like movies". I wonder if Sony can sell them as (inexpensive) movies by scripting the player's action for the entire game. At the same time, gamers can play the title from scratch, or change the movie's ending.

Hm, I am just not sure about the super natural stuff...I liked Heavy Rain, the mood, the music and for being real grounded with good and interesting story...similar to say 'Seven'.

Now this looks to be kind of mystery, X Files, superhero game watching those few available scenes...I have difficulties at the moment to adjust to this, feels not right at the moment.
I remember QD's Indigo Prophecy (or Fahrenheit) being flawed for a lot of people because of it's left-field transition from something realistic to the sci-fi/supernatural stuff later-on.

I think Quantic might've went back to the fantasy-based stuff for more potentially interesting gameplay ideas. Think about Heavy Rain with Norman's ARI glasses, and how it sits on that sci-fi/fantasy edge of things.

As long as they create a proper balance between the realistic and non-realistic elements, it shouldn't be too difficult to be immersed within Beyond's story.

I'm staying away from all the promo materials for Quantic Dream's games from this point onwards.

Titles like The Last of Us and Beyond are interesting because they are "like movies". I wonder if Sony can sell them as (inexpensive) movies by scripting the player's action for the entire game. At the same time, gamers can play the title from scratch, or change the movie's ending.

This is not a future of gaming I wish to live in. :p

We should be encouraging these devs to move away from the scripted design, not towards it.

We are more likely moving towards a future where we ditch scripting entirely and forget about AI path finders and just replace all characters with real people...

We are more likely moving towards a future where we ditch scripting entirely and forget about AI path finders and just replace all characters with real people...

Screw that royally!

I don't want racist 14yr old americans griefing me in my SP games.:devilish:

Back on topic, I'm intrigued by this game, not yet excited (they haven't shown enough to excite me yet). However, a part of me wishes that QD had developed the Kara demo into a fully fleshed out game. The premise and design of that demo was astounding. I would have loved a game where you play as a sex android that mysteriously becomes self-aware, in a futuristic dystopian setting. Anything with a far future setting would have me sold, hence why I can't wait to see more of CD Projekt Red's new game cyberpunk.

Although I know they are making 2 games simutaneously, so perhaps they are making Kara for the PS4 :D

This is not a future of gaming I wish to live in. :p

We should be encouraging these devs to move away from the scripted design, not towards it.

They are not mutually exclusive. The same thing can be scripted for the movie crowd, and fully playable with a story line for gamers. That's the beauty ! ^_^

That's today ! It's called Reality TV or even Reality gameshow.
... which is why I have not tuned in to a TV channel for a long time now.

Since it hasn't been posted in this thread: Some direct feed HD stuff (no ugly compression this time).

B-roll footage that contains parts of the 25 minute gameplay demo. HUGE quality difference between that and the ugly off-screen video.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rov4iniaanc562l

idCqKBVj8I5An.jpg

E3 Short Trailer in 720p:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/beyond_two_souls/download/beyond_two_souls_trailer2_hd.html

Some no spoiler facts I gathered from various interviews:

-More direct control over the characters. The spirit/ghost Aiden can basically float to every point he wants (even through objects). Since he is linked to Jodie, there is distance limit

-In over 90% of the game you can switch freely back and forth between Aiden and Jodie whenever you like. It's only set in stone in some action scenes for a higher degree of tension or if it makes more sense plot wise

-Jodie is also way more directly controlled in action scenes compared to Heavy Rain (kinda similar to the chase scenes in Uncharted now). You can choose how fast and where to run. Depending where you go, QTEs are dynamically triggered or don't appear at all. Increases the replayability, since no action scene plays out the same twice

-There is no game over situation (like in Heavy Rain). Jodie can't die, but the story can change drastically if you fail too much

-There are multiple endings (not as much as in Heavy Rain, since it's only one main character this time), depending on the choices you made. It's likely that you can die in the epilogue

-Slow paced Heavy Rain like moments are also part of this game. The action scene was chosen specifically for E3

-Dialog trees and moral choices from Heavy Rain that can alter the story are also in Beyond

-Bigger areas to explore than Heavy Rain

-The story is grounded in reality for the most part. Aiden is reportedly the only supernatural element. Definitely not Fahrenheit again. Just a mix between the strengths of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain

Looks really nice.
http://i.minus.com/iHPSqU839KOvt.gif
http://www.abload.de/img/animation2jwygg.gif

Don't know about the gameplay though
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/g1bahr/beyond--two-souls-gc-2012--sandbox-walkthrough--cam-
Looks quite slow , I don't find the gameplay that " interactive at all" the kind of freeze happening is make things slow. I would ve liked if the game was not stopped and that you could stop the waves of soldiers in that scene while they were in constant movement. But looks kind of boring to me from that demonstration.

The game looked almost nextgen visually, but seems to be running with two huge black bars, not sure if it's for the cinematic feel purpose or just plain rendering at sub HD ?

Absolutely FANTASTIC ! This is the new adventure game ! Loving it. And need more of such ames from other devs too. David Cage isn't the only guy with interesting ideas, lets have more devs bring out engaging tales in this format !

Back