Beta testers needed

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Update:
Use this link instead, which points to the same environment in the final gallery. I've removed the original files.
http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=Pictures&category=Summer2006&item=66

Original post:

So I've lately been playing with shooting panoramas with my new digital camera, including full environment cubemaps. In my picture galleries on my website I have mostly pictures (of course), but also a few movie clips here and there. So now I was going to take it a step further and add a few interactive environments here and there as well. So in the last few days I've been writing a small cubemap viewer in Java using OpenGL through JOGL where you can use your mouse to look around. It now works perfectly on my system in both IE and Firefox, but I need to make sure this works for everyone else. It's supposed to "just work". Here's the link:

http://www.humus.ca/java/PanoramaViewer2.html

Please let me know if it worked for you and what machine, OS and browser you have. If anyone has an old crappy machine, even without OpenGL support, that would be useful to know how that works out (like if goes to software and if that path is usable at all).

Also, any other feedback on the functionality would be useful as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked great on Bubbles running Firefox 1.5.0.6 on a XP SP2 install that's been tweaked to hell. :)

(Bubbles 3000+ Venice @ 2.43Ghz, Asus A8R32-MVP, OCZ EL platinum rev 2 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200, 2xATi Radeon X1800GTOs, Audigy2, Altec-Lansing ADA885, , DVDR, 80GB, 200GB, 200GB )

Tested fine on IE6, FF 1.5.06 and Opera 9.01. Could be my imagination, but performance seemed slightly off on IE compared to the other two. Norwegian XP Pro SP2.

Worked just fine for me, Firefox 1.5.0.6 and Opera 9.01.

One thing, style wise I'd like is if it was centered and in the middle of the browser window. Not a must, but would be nice.

WinXP SP2 Firefox (latest) and IE: worked fine and like charm

BTW, is that your appartment?

Works fine here on IE6 and XP SP2. Seeing a goodly bit of banding here and there tho. Maybe it's my monitor (Dell 2405). Ceiling in particular.

Works fine on this ancient Dell OptiPlex GX1 (which does have 256mb though), using Opera 8.54 (this is my girlfriend's machine, an old phased-out machine I got from work, but the 17" CRT it came with still looks nice and it works fine for everything except games).

One thing, style wise I'd like is if it was centered and in the middle of the browser window. Not a must, but would be nice.

It's not intended to be just like this in the end, this is just a test page. So it should be at the same position as I have regular pictures now in the galleries.

Oh, style-wise from me I'd recommend the camera be a foot or two higher when taking the pictures.

Certainly. :) I only have a tiny table tripod right now, but I intend to buy a full-size tripod and a panorama head. For this picture I just put the mini-tripod on a office chair and rotated it.

That looks exactly like it does when I change desktop to 16bit. I think I may have found the problem (using 3 instead of GL_RGB8 (evil copy'n'paste error)). I've uploaded a new version, see if it works any better.

Bingo! :D

Works on my PowerBook under Firefox 1.5.xx. I get some tearing (looks like V-sync tearing but it's blocky), but basically it doesn't crash anything.

Back