Best Android / HTC Desire apps?

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Since there's no really appropriate forum for these softwares (I think?), I figured to do this thread here.

I just got great deal for HTC Desire, which will be my first Android phone, and I honestly have no clue what are the essential / necessary / great software available for it

If you're not aware, and if it makes any difference, Desire uses Android 2.1, but is getting 2.2 update soon

I would appreciate separating the free from the chargeable :cool:

That's a pretty generic question. What do want/need? There's hundreds of apps in the Android Market covering pretty much everything.

About 2.2 it's all about speed improvements. They finally enabled JIT on the Dalvik VM and JS engines. There's some other new goodies but JIT is the big story in 2.2

That's a pretty generic question. What do want/need? There's hundreds of apps in the Android Market covering pretty much everything.

About 2.2 it's all about speed improvements. They finally enabled JIT on the Dalvik VM and JS engines. There's some other new goodies but JIT is the big story in 2.2

I know it's quite generic, but usually there's few apps for everything that everyone thinks are something no-one should miss, regardless of what they want/need :p

But what I want? Good browser (is there good one included?), couple good time killing games are the top of my list

The browser included is probably the best. I tried opera but opera on android still seems to lack a lot of options other browsers have.

Apps you need? non I think. It's impossible to find anything decent by just using the market, you will need to search the web to see if apps actually are anything decent and so far I havn't really thought of a app I would need on my Legend. Well, there is one. Displaying appointments on the lockscreen but there seems to be no SDK for lockscreen development so that is a no go.

Maybe you want a notepad app or something as it doesnt seem to be possible to create documents with the openoffice thingy.

Good live/hotmail support would be great too but that is more a android thing than a app thing (plus there are no apps for this either). Syncing still sucks balls. Deleted and read/unread messages don't get synced properly while this already worked yeeeears ago on WM.

I think you might want to try juicedefender to autodisconnect your data connection as it has a big impact on your battery.

Other than that I can't really think of anything that you really need. Seems android/htc made their phones pretty well rounded.

3Bananna, Sprite Backup, UniWar, eBuddy, Flight Director, Mixzing, and that backup-SMS-to-Gmail app are basically my fave Android apps. HTC sense covers a lot of functionality but it just can't go all the way.

I love Sprite for a reason- flashing ROMs and such, you get all your data restored quite quickly. Much faster than the WM6 version at least.

Live Hotmail *now* supports IMAP I think- my mail has been coming in proper! Have not checked whether it is proper push email, but if you really want that functionality you can forward your Hotmail inbox to Gmail...

No it doesnt. I searched for it and all I can find is that hotmail does not have imap. The thing is, like I said, you do have perfect 2 way syncing on windows mobile. I searched everywhere trying to find out why it works on WM but not on Android but there doesnt seem to be a anwser to this... forwarding to gmail is a halfassed solution. I'm not going to maintain 2 mailboxes just to get something to work that already works on a old OS. Its just bull that in 2010 people still have to put up with shit like this.

Does android have a good, standalone POP3/IMAP client yet? I think there was something called K9 a few months back but it was really rough. I hate all these email apps that really use intermediary servers.

Not that I know of.

Xiialive is a really nice app too btw. Its for streaming internet radio and it has a really nice interface and a good built in search engine.

If you want some games I think bonsai blast, robo defence and doodle jump are fun to play if you got some free time on your hands.

Other than that I also use Aedict often but that is only if you have a use for a Japanese dictionairy so I suppose that doesnt really have much of a mass market appeal hehe.

Hotmail IMAP isn't a solution for Enterprise email or for offline viewing, composition etc. - the mainstay of business travelers. Android needs an app like Profimail for Symbian/Windows Mobile.

It doesnt mention IMAP and the comments all say IMAP wont be there. The only thing MS talks about is"
Hotmail supports push email on the web, PC, and now also on the mobile phone. Using Exchange ActiveSync, available on nearly 300 million phones

Now I dont know what they mean with exchange activesync but it sounds a lot like it wont work with any normal mail client and will require extra software. I hope that won't be the case.

Also no mention of a release date?

Exchange Activesync is MS' push protocol. Works with any Android phone that has HTC Sense or Android 2.0+.

Sorry, was wrong about IMAP, but seems to me that Exchange is actually more functional when I use MS Outlook- everything is done automated compared to IMAP mail that requires me to download folders (like GMail).

And MS has nothing to be worried about honestly- the best 2 mail clients on the PC are Outlook (paid) and Windows Live Mail (basically Outlook Express, now bluer) and they both support Exchange. Even Thunderbird supports it with tweaking here and there.

Back