Best AGP Card for Under $300?

jon3k

Newcomer
Just give it to me straight. I don't play video games, but I've been playing with Maya PLE a lot recently and I've got a few bucks to burn.

I assume its going to be either the RADEON 9[7/8]00 or an NVIDIA GeForceFX of some nature? Honestly I don't follow video cards that closely.

Anyone got a link to any decent reviews comparing the two? Do I really have any other options to consider in that price range?

How about this, does the GeForce 6800 GT seem like the best bang for the buck? Judging by the reviews and pretty charts, it seems to be well worth the money. Spending any less and you take a pretty bit hit in performance, but you've got to spend quite a bit more to get an even marginally better card.

london-boy said:
S3 Virge 2MB Vram.

Wow, postcount++, congrats.

But I guess if you were actually funny maybe you'd be doing standup comedy instead of trolling message boards from your mom's basement.

o_O

Wow, who'd have thought i'd be involved in a discussion like this in the Hardware-NobodyLooksAtMe-Forum...

You know what matey,
Seeya!!

PS: Good start on your posting history by the way. Keep it up!!

jon3k said:
o_o =O :-X omgbbq! :D ;) =( o_O

I'm not here to make friends. I've got plenty of real ones.

Good for you! I could argue that someone who is willing to spend 300 quid on a graphics card really has no social life, but i think that would attract more people in here...
I gave you the links. You're welcome.

london-boy said:
Good for you! I could argue that someone who is willing to spend 300 quid on a graphics card really has no social life, but i think that would attract more people in here...

Or maybe that $300 was part of my tech budget for the month?

Again, you've proved your argumentative skills are seriously sub par.

I gave you the links. You're welcome.

They sucked.

PS - We should have never let England on the internet. Sheesh.

jon3k said:
Or maybe that $300 was part of my tech budget for the month?

Again, you've proved your argumentative skills are seriously sub par.

Errm, the argument is all yours, you started it and you will end it.

They sucked.

That's too bad.

Let's see if we can lock the first ever thread in the Hardware Forum!! :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
Errm, the argument is all yours, you started it and you will end it.

Wanna recap the thread?

I posted a simple question, you gave a sarcastic answer.

That's too bad.

Let's see if we can lock the first ever thread in the Hardware Forum!! :rolleyes:

No, its ok, I'm done.

jon3k said:
Wanna recap the thread?

I posted a simple question, you gave a sarcastic answer.

Yeah let's recap, a person who doesn't like to talk to people asks a question, he quickly answers himself, and i happened to be around and happened to make a joke-y post since you didn't seem you needed that much help. I deserve to be banned.

No, its ok, I'm done.

Back to your Maya PLE yay! :|

london-boy said:
Yeah let's recap, a person who doesn't like to talk to people asks a question, he quickly answers himself, and i happened to be around and happened to make a joke-y post since you didn't seem you needed that much help. I deserve to be banned.

When did I say I didn't like to talk to people? :?:

A joke would imply humor. Maybe its your dry, british humor that threw me off?

Back to your Maya PLE yay! :|

No, back to setting up sendmail and spamassassin.

You're like the king of assumptions.

jon3k said:
How about this, does the GeForce 6800 GT seem like the best bang for the buck?

Yes. A better performer than previous generation Quadros (e.g. FX1000) and much cheaper than the latest ones. AFAIK anyway... probably best you check out Maya/CGI forums.

Quadro FXs are sux, period.

I have dozens of FX3000 and doesn't really worth anything - NV stopped making Maxtreme driver for long time and since they restarted they couldn't really make one frikkin bugfree and fast driver for max.

For gaming they are utterly sux - even an old 9700 Pro was waaay faster than FX3000.

T2k said:
Quadro FXs are sux, period.

I have dozens of FX3000 and doesn't really worth anything - NV stopped making Maxtreme driver for long time and since they restarted they couldn't really make one frikkin bugfree and fast driver for max.

For gaming they are utterly sux - even an old 9700 Pro was waaay faster than FX3000.

I have to agree that for the price, the Quadros are embarrassing. And isn't a FX3000 a GFFX5900 level card? In that case, yeah a 9700 might be faster sometimes. Considering the Quadros have weird drivers, i can see how thay could be slower than they should be.

Back