Best 939 AGP mobo?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Oh, and the best CPU cooler for an AMD64 3000+ that will fit it. :)

I'm stubbornly sticking to AGP, so please don't try and talk me into PCI-e. ;)

Might be worth it to check out DFI's S939 AGP solution...

I'm in the market for a good 939 cooler, one that'll fit on a A8N SLI Deluxe mobo and doesn't cost over $40. I've looked at the Zalman's but not sure the CNPS7000 model would fit.

John Reynolds said:
I'm in the market for a good 939 cooler, one that'll fit on a A8N SLI Deluxe mobo and doesn't cost over $40. I've looked at the Zalman's but not sure the CNPS7000 model would fit.

It sure fits. Even 7700 fits in A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium.
Link -> http://www.zalmanusa.com/product/cooler/7000(AB)_754-939-940MBlist_eng.htm

I'm more interested in this HSF.
http://www.releasereview.com/Zalman-CNPS9500-LED-CPU-Cooler.aspx?d=0101000310211062005
Release date September

Be warned that the Nforce3 250 boards could well have issues with your 6800gt if you ever plan to use that card with the your new board. I have an Epox 9NDA3J which I got on the cheap and other than compatablity issues with my 6800gt it has been a great board. No problems at all with my x800xt-pe and runs my 3000+ winchester with a 270mhz fsb at x4HTT for 2.43ghz with stock cooling and about 1.57v.

Oh yeah, as for the Nforce3 250 issue, if you want more infor just search google for: Nforce3 250, 6800 and hitching or pausing and you will find plenty of frustrated people on forums and only some partial solutions.

John Reynolds said:

http://www.zalmanusa.com/product/cooler/7000(AB)_754-939-940MBlist_eng.htm

FYI, the Zalman 7000B-AlCu is $29 shipped at Amazon. There are bigger and better coolers (see recent SPCR reviews for some real towers of power), but it seems a good, quiet price/performance part.

I use an Asus A8V Deluxe (rev 2.0) with a Zalman CNPS-7000 and have nothing to complain about. It uses a VIA KT800Pro chipset. It's the only 939 board I have ever used so I don't know if I am missing out on much. BIOS support has been good, with full X2 support since the last two BIOS updates.

I was looking at Nforce 3 boards and other VIA boards and I settled on this one for the following reasons:

* No mainboard chipset fans (I hate extra fans...well, the noise and the worry)
* Clean no-nonsense layout
* I trust Asus (more than I trust MSI and many others. It really came down to Asus v Gigabyte last time and the Gigabyte boards failed for the reasons mentioned above)
* I should reiterate that it is an Asus. I have been buying their boards for some time and I am biased (customter satsfaction = rebuy for me).

Abit has a very similar board in the AV8, but I am not sure I trust Abit.

If you have any specific questions about the Asus A8V, I will try to answer them.

Ok, slight change in plans for me....

I need memory too, I want 1Gb...should I get PC3200 or go for some PC3500 for better overclocking?

I've kind of decided to go with a "FUCK IT!!!" attitude, I'm eliminating all the variables at once then I'll go back and figure out which of the pieces are bad and will build a system for someone cheap around 'em. :)

This $120 3000+ Venice and this $56 refurbed GIGABYTE GA-K8NS Ultra-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra ATX AMD motherboard that Snipe was kind enough to find for me would leave me room to pick up a decent 1Gb stick for that set-up....

....but I'm clueless about the whole AMD64 thing and what memory would be good for it. I usually end up getting cheap memory and I ALWAYS regret it, I'd really like to get some decent stuff this time without spending an arm and a leg.

Oh, and more cooler suggestions please! ;)

Double-oh; I've been having a really, really, really shitty day today IRL in additon to Bubbles dying on me....thanks for all the help, it's been a real bright spot for me.

grouphug.gif

If you wanna overclock and don't want to run your RAM out of sync, get some good RAM. I just bought 1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS PC4400 which is guaranteed good for 2.5 4 4 8 timings all the way up to 275MHz (550DDR) w/ 2.8V. I think i was only $109 at Newegg. For a Socket 939 chip, you wanna go with a matched pair of DIMMs instead of just a single one. Also, I've heard that the SATA controller can cause problems in overclocking on nForce3 if you don't use the ones closest to the CPU socket. Apparently, everything gets synched with the locked PCI bus except those external SATA ports, so you could lose stability if you use them.

I just got an S754 nForce3 250gb setup the other day, but if I had known I could have gotten a Venice for so cheap, I would have gone with that instead. That's how much I paid for my 2800+ Newcastle. I'm using a Thermalright SI-97A Cu and Al heatpipe which takes a 92mm fan and is compatible with Socket A, S754, and S939. Works pretty well to keep the chips cool, too.

Iron Tiger said:
I just bought 1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS PC4400 which is guaranteed good for 2.5 4 4 8 timings all the way up to 275MHz (550DDR) w/ 2.8V. I think i was only $109 at Newegg.
$216 at Newegg was the best I could find a set of those for...and that's WAAAAY out of my pricerange. :(

I'm looking for under $150, and even that is probably pushing it hard. :?

Thanks for all the other advice though, it'll come in damned handy when I put the thing together. :)

John Reynolds said:
Only bad thing is having to pull the mobo back out of the case for that backplate.
I HATE that, I had to do the same thing for my northbridge cooler and you basically gotta take your whole PC apart. :?

Another reason I'm going the whole CPU/mobo/memory route. :)

EDITED BITS: Wow, I'm not gonna have to write "EDITED BITS" anymore...mebbe this software don't suck. ;)

Oh, I have that Zalman cooler sitting next to my monitor but the all copper one....that would work with a 939 too, wouldn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
digitalwanderer said:
Oh, I have that Zalman cooler sitting next to my monitor but the all copper one....that would work with a 939 too, wouldn't it?

It should work fine, just so long as it fits on the mobo. If I'd been buying a new cooler for my Intel box I definitely would've gone with the more expensive, all copper Zalman, but the one I bought was $33 and should work just fine with the FX-55 or 4800+ (or FX-57, if I get one to review here soon).

On the downside, swapping CPUs won't be as easy as the standard, clipped heatsink/fan is pretty painless and quick to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well damn it man, recomend some great/cheap memory to me already so I can order all this crap and quit fretting over it! :rolleyes: ;)

I think I'm gonna go whack some fireplace tiles with a 40lb destruction bar I just borrowed off a friend who is being kinder than hell and watching my son for me...I'm too tense. :oops:

Pete said:
Again, for anyone else contemplating a Zalman 7000B-AlCu purchase, it's $29 shipped at Amazon ($10 less than NewEgg).

I read your post and did a search for Zalman on Amazon before ordering from Newegg but it didn't find anything. Read this post, tried the search again and it brought up a plethora of items. The site's search engine/function must've been horked earlier today. :(

Back