Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you getting HDR from youtube?

On my Xbox One S these are the sources of "UHD" I'm aware of:

Netflix (limited content, by searching HDR, works on my TV)
Xbox S Blu Ra player (the one UHD disc I purchased wont trigger HDR on my LeEco, maybe some bug? at 25 bucks a pop I'm not going to be buying a lot of UHD BLu Ray to see if it was a one off)
Xbox store, there are a very few HDR movies. Typically pretty expensive, like 5 bucks even to rent for 48 hours. I rented one, Kong. It had issues triggering HDR on my set as well. Since the Blu Ray on my Xbox didn't work, I was going to chalk it up to an Xbox issue with my TV, but at some point Kong did start displaying HDR, I'm just not exactly sure what triggered it.

Youtube 4k/HDR, that's only through the ultra chromecast right? I dont have that.

Amazon Prime, can you do HDR through the S? I do have a monthly prime sub for another 2 weeks.

All these are through the native app on the TV. I'm waiting for a X1X for 4k UHD. The native TV apps are so good and fast, I don't see a reason to mess around trying to get them to work via other sources.

The native apps are good. BBC has HLG demo on their BBC app on the TV also. I haven't spent much time on it.

I watched some of those 4k "showoff your TV" channel videos on youtube, forget the name but they have a lot of gorgeous nature scenes, yeah you know, the super green frog and stuff.

Even though I dont believe the YT app on Xbox S has 4k or HDR, well, they look utterly fantastic. I would have assumed they are4k/ HDR even though I guess they are not HDR...which again makes me wonder what the deal is with HDR lol. Maybe they just super saturated those youtubes?

How are you getting HDR from youtube?

On my Xbox One S these are the sources of "UHD" I'm aware of:

Netflix (limited content, by searching HDR, works on my TV)
Xbox S Blu Ra player (the one UHD disc I purchased wont trigger HDR on my LeEco, maybe some bug? at 25 bucks a pop I'm not going to be buying a lot of UHD BLu Ray to see if it was a one off)
Xbox store, there are a very few HDR movies. Typically pretty expensive, like 5 bucks even to rent for 48 hours. I rented one, Kong. It had issues triggering HDR on my set as well. Since the Blu Ray on my Xbox didn't work, I was going to chalk it up to an Xbox issue with my TV, but at some point Kong did start displaying HDR, I'm just not exactly sure what triggered it.

Youtube 4k/HDR, that's only through the ultra chromecast right? I dont have that.

Amazon Prime, can you do HDR through the S? I do have a monthly prime sub for another 2 weeks.

Why are you running content through the XB1S? Does your LeEco not have Amazon and Youtube apps?

Input One on Xbox One?

After using my cable box via HDMI In I don't see how I would ever sacrifice quick access to my Xbox Guide or Home & use built-in TV apps. I never use my TV remote or cable box remote anymore. Even gave up my Logitech Harmony remote & just use Cortana or a controller. So I'd rather plug a Chromecast or Roku into the HDMI In before using the Smart TV apps. Yeah, I would have to start using a separate remote again for that device but at least I can still see any Xbox notifications that pop-up & respond to them using Cortana. There's a lot to be said for always being inside the Xbox interface.

Tommy McClain

Using an Amazon Echo makes me nearly never miss having Xbox controlls over TV but I do miss not being able to flip over to a game or app as quickly. I might change things up again when the Scorpio arrives.

Why are you running content through the XB1S? Does your LeEco not have Amazon and Youtube apps?

Sure but I run everything through Xbox, including OTA TV for free NFL games with the antenna adapter. This setup is pretty amazing. I ideally never need to switch from one HDMI (cord cutter BTW, so only apps/OTA needed).

I am not sure if the leeco YT/Amazon apps supprt 4k/HDR, I think no?

It's android TV OS on the Le Eco. As such, it's fairly complex and buggy. It can also be kinda amazing compared to old dumb TV's. But sure I've used it.

It is qualitatively comparable to DolbyVision (PC Version of Mass Effect Andromeda) and significantly better than HDR10. Some of the current TVs will support it via a firmware update but it will probably only work with streaming content..

I was the last 10 years at the IFA but not this time unfortunately.

Sure but I run everything through Xbox, including OTA TV for free NFL games with the antenna adapter. This setup is pretty amazing. I ideally never need to switch from one HDMI (cord cutter BTW, so only apps/OTA needed).

I am not sure if the leeco YT/Amazon apps supprt 4k/HDR, I think no?

It's android TV OS on the Le Eco. As such, it's fairly complex and buggy. It can also be kinda amazing compared to old dumb TV's. But sure I've used it.

Android TV OS supports 4k/HDR. What version are you running? Did you get the update to nougat yet? And you wouldn't need to switch HDMI inputs to run the TV apps, would you?

No idea what version I'm running or how to discern that. LeEco has been basically bankrupt though so my understanding is their support is currently not to be counted on to deliver any more updates. If they do it's gravy.

I'll check YT on the TV app. I dont believe it ever ran HDR though unless I'm missing something.

Isn't it the specific YT app that needs to support HDR? As of a few weeks ago when I was looking into this, I believe it was said the only way to watch UHD YT on your TV was through a chromecast Ultra.

Nope dont have to switch HDMI, but do have to switch inputs on the remote. They're all the same apps anyway, why switch? Usually if my TV's on I'm default on Xbox anyway.

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/16059/the-sorry-state-of-youtube-hdr-video

Does that mean you cannot see the HDR version? No. There is one way, and one way only: Buy the new $69 Google Chromecast Ultra. It will play HDR YouTube videos in HDR, on any wifi-enabled HDR TV. No other device will do that - not the Amazon stick, not any Roku, nothing. It is also possible that Google has made a deal with Samsung (license fee) so that the YouTube player on some Samsung HDR TV's will play YouTube HDR videos in HDR, but this is not confirmed.

Last edited:
As far as I can determine, it looks like HDR on Youtube requires Android 7.0 (nougat).

London-boy, your ZD9 is supposed to be updated at some time this year to 7.0 which should enable HDR Youtube, although I've heard different reports about whether or not the viewer needs to manually enable it as a picture mode when watching.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1483671117

If you're not getting auto updates, I imagine there's ways to manually update.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00014699

Should have started rolling out in the UK in May:
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how...gat-the-latest-android-tv-update/ba-p/2336297

Here's the main Sony TV Nougat update landing page:
https://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/welcome-to-android-nougat

Input One on Xbox One?

After using my cable box via HDMI In I don't see how I would ever sacrifice quick access to my Xbox Guide or Home & use built-in TV apps. I never use my TV remote or cable box remote anymore. Even gave up my Logitech Harmony remote & just use Cortana or a controller. So I'd rather plug a Chromecast or Roku into the HDMI In before using the Smart TV apps. Yeah, I would have to start using a separate remote again for that device but at least I can still see any Xbox notifications that pop-up & respond to them using Cortana. There's a lot to be said for always being inside the Xbox interface.

Tommy McClain

I now use my Samsung smart remote to control my Xbox. It's major failing is that it can't switch from the Xbox TV guide to Home. But I moved my cable setup box to the bedroom (Wifey request) and changed the Xbox to default to Home at startup instead of going straight to the TV guide.

Now I access my cable through several apps on the TV (Spectrum, HBO Go, Show Anywhere and others) so I can control my tv apps and the Xbox using one device without any extra investment. I need the controller to back out of a game into Home. But outside of that I rarely use my controller outside of its primary purpose.

It no longer makes any difference on whether I use the TV or the Xbox to drive a particular app. Samsung provides a custom Xbox One icon if you correctly rename the port. So the Xbox is more like a multi faceted app on my TV now. Or it can looked as if Home is pinned to my TV interface as well as other apps (I can launch most from the TV or the Xbox interface).

Even though everything is driven by two different pieces of hardware with their own separate apps. The remote allows almost everything to work seamlessly. If I could use my controller to control my TV and pin games to the TV interface, I would be in heaven.

I'm still hoping that DV or HDR10+ will eventually arrive on XE90 and other "lower spec" Sony TVs.

I'm not expecting that HDR10+ will get wide adoption anytime soon [both in TVs and in content].

Not that much, but still enough to cause confusion.

For games, streaming media and disc content:
HDR10 [static]
HDR10+
DV

For broadcast content:
HLG [static]

And then, there is that Technicolor HDR standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back