Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, or you could just, you know, read the reviews to understand the context of whatever scores the reviewer has given.
In those cases, it's more meaningful not to have a score. Scores exist for at-a-glance comparisons, often as a filter to then find which subset of products you'll read the reviews of. Personally I have no problem with the tiered scores because I know they're tiered. Kinda like Football League scores. Tranmere Rovers scoring 95 in the National League doesn't mean they're a better team than Manchester City with 78 points in the Premier League, and I don't know anyone (not even a girl!) who'd find this confusing.

The 2017 Vizio M series is reviewed on Rtings

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2017

The highlight for me by far is the peak brightness is much improved. That makes it a contender for me. The negative is the input lag is only so-so, around 40 ms, vs some truly incredible measurements of around 15 ms on the TCL. I could actually care about this even though I'm sure it's mostly placebo effect at these levels, given Destiny multiplayer.

Really not sure what to do now, given I'm not certain how much I want to pay, if I must have a 65", etc. I think I will just wait for now. I think the M Series is now up there with the TCL as a contender, but OTOH the higher input lag is troubling. The good thing about the Vizio's is they are available right now, even the 65".

If I play NHL17 online, if I have game mode on my tv turned off, I'll lose pretty much 90% of faceoffs, which is a pure twitch mechanic. You press down on the right stick when you see the referee move his hand to drop the puck. If I turn on game mode, I'll win closer 75%+. On my tv, I think the difference is in the range of 30ms between game mode on and off. In a really twitchy shooter type game with fast kills, I would actually expect 30ms to affect most players.

If I play NHL17 online, if I have game mode on my tv turned off, I'll lose pretty much 90% of faceoffs, which is a pure twitch mechanic. You press down on the right stick when you see the referee move his hand to drop the puck. If I turn on game mode, I'll win closer 75%+. On my tv, I think the difference is in the range of 30ms between game mode on and off. In a really twitchy shooter type game with fast kills, I would actually expect 30ms to affect most players.

The problem is that even the best TVs these days can't get below 21ms. And the vast majority of the "very good ones" hover around 25ms.

The problem is that even the best TVs these days can't get below 21ms. And the vast majority of the "very good ones" hover around 25ms.

True. But specifically referencing the Vizio vs the TCL, if the numbers are true it's a 25ms difference in input lag favouring the TCL. I think it'd be noticeable in twitch games.

Also, I'm considering going back to using a monitor with my next console to avoid that issue precisely, because they can be in the sub 10ms range. I'll just have to grit my teeth and deal with calibration issues.

Lol, or you could just, you know, read the reviews to understand the context of whatever scores the reviewer has given.

I think if they used ratings in several categories including value, then reviewers would consistently consider these other categories when they review electronics.

Rather than give some kind of a composite grade which may or may not be considering value in a given review.

It's improved hugely though. When I first started paying attention to input lag some years ago, most LCD's were awful, 60-120ms. Now 40 ms in game mode is considered average, a few years ago it was great. 15ms was unheard of on an LCD back then.

I sincerely doubt you can even notice 25ms.

The Leo Bodnar device made testing easy, and manufacturers started paying attention as a it became a selling point. I remember in the dark ages of input lag people had to test with very unreliable two monitor testing method.

It's interesting since I've been looking at TV's, I've been going back and finding out details of mine (Vizio 550i-B2) to see how it would compare. I love the picture on mine, it really comes out on Gears 4, looks fantastic. The brightness of mine appears to be around 250-300 nits. One interesting thing I found was it apparently does have FALD (10 zones)! Even though it's an ancient 1080P. I did always notice the blacks looked great, and maybe that is why. I remember one main reason I chose it was the input lag was good for the time, but I dont remember what it was. Googling I think I found one claim (using unreliable 2 monitor method) of around 30 ms and another of 40ms for my set. So I want to at least not step down in that stat, which makes the 2017 M Series acceptable.

Last edited:
Yeah 15ms for a big 4k TV is insane. I'm personally not very sensitive to input lag so I'm not sure I'd feel the difference between 15, 25 or even 40ms. Thank god.

True. But specifically referencing the Vizio vs the TCL, if the numbers are true it's a 25ms difference in input lag favouring the TCL. I think it'd be noticeable in twitch games.

Also, I'm considering going back to using a monitor with my next console to avoid that issue precisely, because they can be in the sub 10ms range. I'll just have to grit my teeth and deal with calibration issues.

I use GTA 5 as my lag benchmark. If I don't play the game for awhile the lag shows itself when I go full speed through the busy streets of los santos. On the Eseries with its 40ms lag, it would feel like skating on ice until I could accilimate.

Haven't played in months so when I got the KS8500 and it's 20ms of lag. GTA 5 was the second game I threw in. No skating or acclimating required.

The TCL 55P607 is about to ship for me from Amazon, says arriving June 10-15. I'm going to cancel it.

Either I'll get a 65" later or hopefully at least find a better deal on that same 55P607. It just doesn't make much sense for me without so much as a One S currently.

Editz: It says cancellation isn't guaranteed, so i hope it works! If not maybe I'll simply refuse delivery.

does someone knows if there is any relevant upgrade in picture quality between this year MU6400 and last year KU6400.... ? Tv 4K Samsung

My 4k Tv search took an unexpected turn, I ended up finding a Leeco Super4 X55 on clearance for just $349 at Wal Mart, through a huge thread on slick deals https://slickdeals.net/f/10231916-5...x55-ecotv-349-b-m-ymmv-at-walmart#commentsBox

One typical review: http://www.pcmag.com/review/350226/leeco-super4-x65

This set doesn't have local dimming (I actually thought it did at the time of purchase) but other than that gets solid reviews for the price. It can hit 330-350 CD/M^2 brightness, which isn't spectacular but acceptable to me, and a lot better than the Vizio E series. Input lag in game mode is ~37 MS, again not ideal but acceptable for the price. I guess the main plus is the set does have wide color gamut.

The slickdeals thread is huge because evidently Wal Mart is clearing out a LOT of these, so a lot of people have been able to get one unlike many "YMMV" WM clearance deals. The 4 WM's in my town, none had any, but a WM 40 miles away showed 12 in stock online, so that's where I went.

Again I dont know if there are many here in the USA or interested in budget TV's but if you are definitely worth checking out. A decent (by my low standards, anyway) 4K HDR 55" TV for $349 is a steal. The price is so low that I wont mind much if I find a much better deal this fall. Considering I plan to sell my current set for at least $150-200, my investment is almost nil. I will need to spend probably another $100 in the transaction to upgrade my Xbox One to an S model, though.

I haven't actually unboxed the TV yet, I've been very impressed with 4K TV's on display in stores though, so I hope it lives up to that.

I think I'm more excited to try to play DF's Forza HDR videos than anything (since I dont have an Xbox S yet anyway!)...

Still waiting for the LG B6/7 series to come down in price. Is that a bad idea? Or is there something that is better priced? Damn you OLED!

The B6 series has pretty much civil prices now for this class of products. If B7 reaches these prices it's probably the right time as there's not any other fab competition to LG yet as far as I know to really force the prices down.

My 4k Tv search took an unexpected turn, I ended up finding a Leeco Super4 X55 on clearance for just $349 at Wal Mart, through a huge thread on slick deals https://slickdeals.net/f/10231916-5...x55-ecotv-349-b-m-ymmv-at-walmart#commentsBox

One typical review: http://www.pcmag.com/review/350226/leeco-super4-x65

This set doesn't have local dimming (I actually thought it did at the time of purchase) but other than that gets solid reviews for the price. It can hit 330-350 CD/M^2 brightness, which isn't spectacular but acceptable to me, and a lot better than the Vizio E series. Input lag in game mode is ~37 MS, again not ideal but acceptable for the price. I guess the main plus is the set does have wide color gamut.

The slickdeals thread is huge because evidently Wal Mart is clearing out a LOT of these, so a lot of people have been able to get one unlike many "YMMV" WM clearance deals. The 4 WM's in my town, none had any, but a WM 40 miles away showed 12 in stock online, so that's where I went.

Again I dont know if there are many here in the USA or interested in budget TV's but if you are definitely worth checking out. A decent (by my low standards, anyway) 4K HDR 55" TV for $349 is a steal. The price is so low that I wont mind much if I find a much better deal this fall. Considering I plan to sell my current set for at least $150-200, my investment is almost nil. I will need to spend probably another $100 in the transaction to upgrade my Xbox One to an S model, though.

I haven't actually unboxed the TV yet, I've been very impressed with 4K TV's on display in stores though, so I hope it lives up to that.

I think I'm more excited to try to play DF's Forza HDR videos than anything (since I dont have an Xbox S yet anyway!)...

Yeah. A pretty low-risk choice at that price and if your viewing this as a stop-gap, cheap with acceptable performance is the right metric. Just be aware that this company is exiting the US market, so support may be a problem. They badly over-extended themselves and are now having to pull back and regroup. This is the company that was supposed to buy Vizio as part of their big push into the US market. Needless to say, the whole thing exploded on the launchpad and caused a bunch of collateral damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back