Battlefield 3 announced

OK I re-installed windows and reinstalled Origin and pointed it to the same folders as before and the game installed fine. but now everytime I try to join a game, I get a "Battlefield 3 stopped working" message from Windows :???: ! WTF Man, is this game just not letting me play or what ?!?!?! :mad:
\

EDIT:

Ok the issue seems to be with an Ati file.

Fault Module Name: atidxx32.dll

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf3.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ece50fa
Fault Module Name: atidxx32.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.163
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5be09b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00064a17
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I have already lowered all settings from the BF3 config tool, but it own't run. Earleir it gave an error regarding the file atidxx32.dll so I downloaded the drivers again,re-installed them. that error is gone, replaced byt this one:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: bf3.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ece50fa
Fault Module Name: bf3.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ece50fa
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00cf9b9e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

its basically the same one your link mentions, but it ain't getting fixed by lowering settings.

Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? How much RAM? Have you tried reinstalling the ATI driver (long shot, but still)?

I have already reinstalled the drivers, as mentioned above, and no luck. I have 64 bit Win 7 ultimate SP1,4Gb Ram, HD4850 and a quad core Q9450 2.67 GHz and this same system was running BF3 fine untill I reinstalled my windows . I have uninstalled all firewalls and antivirus apps(Bitdefender) but still no luck.

WOw , it turns out its an issue with the settings folder. I have to delete it everytime I plan to play the game. I remove the folder, do not restore from cloud and the game works :rolleyes: !
Awesome fix, ain't it ? Now back to reinstalling all the softwares I uninstalled to get the the damn game to work.

Running fine now. I have to say 64 player Conquest on Caspian Border is pure bliss ! Earlier I used to hate Grand Bazaar, but today I found a way to enjoy it a lot. Chose not to shoot but to provide Med kits to all those squads stuck crazy choke points and enjoyed :cool: !

Oh yes, Bazar is kind of like Metro in that regard. I will have to play tonight again some more, so close to doing all Assignments :D

Running fine now. I have to say 64 player Conquest on Caspian Border is pure bliss !
Caspian and firestorm (and to a lesser extent kharg island) are the only maps I can play 64 player on since they are large enough that it doesn't get excessively crowded. 64-player caspian is a good density and balance of vehicles to infantry, and honestly caspian is one of the best maps in the game.

Bazaar I can enjoy with 16-24 players, but ideally no more. Metro pretty much always sucks ;) The game gets silly when it's just an attrition battle with rocket and grenade spam down choke-points. There's no skill in that and it just normalizes everyone's scores to around 1.0 KDR, which is boring.

I enjoyed the B2K maps for a while but honestly there are just too many vehicles that respawn way too fast on those maps. I love vehicles but as I complained about earlier, you simply have to be an engi on B2K if you want to be effective. Thus it gets really boring, really fast. Coming back to the standard maps I definitely think they got the class balance a lot better there.

PS: AN-94 is a rape machine. I can easily go >>2.0 KDR with it run-and-gunning without much effort at all. Even from the hip it clears rooms. Give it a try :)

PS: AN-94 is a rape machine. I can easily go >>2.0 KDR with it run-and-gunning without much effort at all. Even from the hip it clears rooms. Give it a try :)

If you think that gun is OP try the FAMAS before they nerf it. Regarding vehicles and B2k, I see what you mean. I was just remarking to a friend last night as we got in a tank that we tend to either go on a vehicle rampage or turn down a street with 15 enemy engineers on either side.

The FAMAS is a beast at close range, but rather unwieldy much beyond it. I unlocked it and used it to get my hundred kills to unlock the L85 and never looked back. Since then I played enough coop to unlock the G3, and I'm digging the extra power of that, though the small magazine and massive recoil require a more deliberate play style to make effective use of the gun.

Finally started playing it again, and loving the maps from the B2K pack. It brings back memories from BF2 and BF1942 with Wake, and are a true joy to play when you can find a good squad.

Agree that B2K can easily descend into a vehicles only map, but it depends on the teams.
Played 3 rounds with 1k ticks, 64-player server, and 2 out of 3 rounds was not dominated by vehicles, as they were taken out too quickly and people chose other styles.

Also, the map-pack seems to have brought back the real BF feeling for me, where the BF3 maps didn't quite have the same effect.

The FAMAS is a beast at close range, but rather unwieldy much beyond it. I unlocked it and used it to get my hundred kills to unlock the L85 and never looked back. Since then I played enough coop to unlock the G3, and I'm digging the extra power of that, though the small magazine and massive recoil require a more deliberate play style to make effective use of the gun.

I'm one of those weenies who always uses a suppressor so I can get decently ranged kills just by emptying a whole clip, but definitely the an-94 (especially with it's 2-round burst) and the G3 are better at distance. I want the L85 but the 5 squad DM wins requirement is quite onerous when you suck as bad as I do.

2 SDM wins was all of that mode I could stomach. I suppose I'll get that gun eventually, but I really can't be bothered playing that crap.

I've done my time with the F2000, AEK, FAMAS and others, but the overall winner for me has to be the M16A3+foregrip and a quick sight of your choosing. The others will beat it in close range, but it wins at everything else, including a super fast reload time and a very nice accuracy from the hip with no laser. I just can't seem to miss with it if I'm actually aiming on the target (I do my job and the gun does it's, unlike many BF weapons) - and the recoil is very manageable. My per round KDR has shot up since using it. I very occasionally pick FAMAS + Foregrip if I am certain that I'll be doing super close range stuff for a life or two. There is a big patch coming in Feb and one thing will be a nerfing of the FAMAS+foregrip combo... so make use of it while you can I suppose.

The patch is going to massively change how the attachments might affect specific weapons. The way it is now is that any attachment will have exact same effect on any gun it's placed on... the patch will mean that each gun has it's own specific reaction to each attachment. e.g. some guns will get really good recoil bonus with a foregrip, others not so much. I would anticipate that the AEK+foregrip combo will also be not quite as good as it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 SDM wins was all of that mode I could stomach. I suppose I'll get that gun eventually, but I really can't be bothered playing that crap.

I've done my time with the F2000, AEK, FAMAS and others, but the overall winner for me has to be the M16A3+foregrip and a quick sight of your choosing. The others will beat it in close range, but it wins at everything else, including a super fast reload time and a very nice accuracy from the hip with no laser. I just can't seem to miss with it if I'm actually aiming on the target (I do my job and the gun does it's, unlike many BF weapons) - and the recoil is very manageable. My per round KDR has shot up since using it. I very occasionally pick FAMAS + Foregrip if I am certain that I'll be doing super close range stuff for a life or two. There is a big patch coming in Feb and one thing will be a nerfing of the FAMAS+foregrip combo... so make use of it while you can I suppose.

The patch is going to massively change how the attachments might affect specific weapons. The way it is now is that any attachment will have exact same effect on any gun it's placed on... the patch will mean that each gun has it's own specific reaction to each attachment. e.g. some guns will get really good recoil bonus with a foregrip, others not so much. I would anticipate that the AEK+foregrip combo will also be not quite as good as it is now.

Nice info, I think I'll put some time in on the m16a3 in anticipation of losing my precious FAMAS. Despite the somewhat whack-a-mole nature of BF3 patches I suppose there is a silver lining in that it makes it worthwhile to work on and practice with various loadouts. Interesting that the picks in that video are mostly midway through each class. I have trouble assessing weapons because my play is really inconsistent, and actually even my expectations of what is a good or bad round tend to hinge on psychological factors, e.g. do I like my squad, did I get knifed in the back, etc...

2 SDM wins was all of that mode I could stomach.
I prefer conquest and rush, but got 3 SDM wins in a row playing with some friends who needed 3 more to unlock the gun, and had a good time doing it.Then, the next day I had no friends on, so I looked for a server running low ticket rounds as I figured that would make it more anyone's game, and found one set at 2 tickets where it took me about 15 minutes to get my final 2 wins.

I'm still sticking by the AN-94. Even from the hip that thing is a beast. Sure it shoots slow but that's hardly relevant when you only really need two shots. Close up you can literally spray and pray and win most of the time (even 1v2 or 1v3!) and long range it's probably the best assault rifle period due to the high damage and 2-round burst with basically no recoil/drift between the two shots. And you only need two bursts to kill... probably one on hardcore. Seriously if you haven't tried it, give it a shot. There are lots of other good guns too but this one almost gets its own kills.

Yeah agreed the M16A3 is pretty good, although I personally prefer the 416 by a hair. I typically use heavy barrel (I had a stint with suppressors - and I'll still use them in hardcore - but the heavy barrel is just too much damage to throw away). I swap back and forth between underslung smoke grenades (on attack) and medic pack fairly frequently.

For assualt rifle/smg scopes the holo is by faaaaaaar the best sight IMHO, with a standard red dot sight (not the awful "T" one) bringing up a distant second. "Chevron" scopes are trash... no idea why anyone uses them. For snipers I prefer just a standard cross. Simple and extremely effective. None of the rest of the fancy stuff (range finders, windage, etc) is particularly functional in a game anyways.

Overall though I'd say most guns are quite usable although of course you have to vary the styles. I guess that's sort of a testament to decent balance, but also to the normalization of modern weapons.

Back