Battlefield 3 announced

ProcessExplorer can't show the whole picture, you need something like ProcMon to see what Origin actually does, but I agree with you. It is just enumerating programdata.

Somebody please save my sanity.

I did the 6 hr download thing, seem to register with about 3 different systems. Got the game running in SP mode.

I run along a train, kill a guy or 2 get to the end of the carriage, swing outside, cinematically look back into the carriage I get shot and start falling down.

"PRESS SPACE" it tells me, I press it, character takes a jerk upwards trying grab, and falls back down. repeat the process twice more , and then character falls off..I'm dead.

I've tried mouse presses etc after hitting space, but clearly I'm going wrong somewhere. I want to play this game. I NEED to play this game, so far I get 20 reps of the first minute.

HELP !

Somebody please save my sanity.

I did the 6 hr download thing, seem to register with about 3 different systems. Got the game running in SP mode.

I run along a train, kill a guy or 2 get to the end of the carriage, swing outside, cinematically look back into the carriage I get shot and start falling down.

"PRESS SPACE" it tells me, I press it, character takes a jerk upwards trying grab, and falls back down. repeat the process twice more , and then character falls off..I'm dead.

I've tried mouse presses etc after hitting space, but clearly I'm going wrong somewhere. I want to play this game. I NEED to play this game, so far I get 20 reps of the first minute.

HELP !
I think you need to keep pressing space rapidly until you're on top of the train.

^Yes. I died there the first time also. It isn't entirely clear (at least it wasn't to me) that you have to tap space over and over.

I think they keyboard / mouse actions disappear after pressing them if you don't need to do it any longer (with combat scenes later, you just press each button once)

I think they keyboard / mouse actions disappear after pressing them if you don't need to do it any longer (with combat scenes later, you just press each button once)

no, the animation shows a rapid pressed/depressed mouse bar, by the time the visual cue disappears, you're too late.

the only thing that can go wrong (the second time you play it) in that train piece is that the train explodes before I finish the QTE.

Frame rate has been jumping around a lot, recently. The past few days it's been completely unstable. I've read that a lot of people are encountering similar issue. I play with Vsync on, and it usually dips 2-3 FPS every few minutes, which is odd, because I can usually maintain a constant 60 FPS. I read there's some bug fixes on their way, hoping to clear up "stability issues and rubber-banding" (I don't even know what that is). I've played with Vsync off and I get 100-130 FPS, but the frame rate is really jumpy. I'm hoping Nvidia releases new WHQL's, soon.

Rubber banding is when player's avatars appear to bounce back and forth.

Player Jim pushes his 'go forwards' key which tells the server 'I, Jim, am going forwards along this trajectory'. Server sends this message to your client software(and everyone else who's on the server). Your client uses that information to predict the movement of Player Jim up until the point that the server updates your client again with Jim's new trajectory. Your client has to use prediction as it is not getting updates from the server at anywhere near the same speed as it's internal logic is cycling. The rate that the player appears to bounce probably coincides with the rate that the server is updating your client with that player's location/movement data.

High latency between your client and the server means that a great deal is being asked of the prediction algorithms to get it right, and when they don't - at the point of the server update you will suddenly see Player Jim in a somewhat more correct position. What makes it even worse is when Jim's latency is also high.

re: Origin scanning files. I'm not freaking out, and I don't want to instill any uproar. I just thought it was prudent to block it, perhaps for a performance advantage aswell as I suppose a principle - the same one that requires people to knock and wait to be invited before they walk into my house and start examining the pictures on the wall, along with my book collection, before they go off to the nearest advertising agency with details of all my interests that they could find. I do realise that in the grand scheme of things it's not terribly important, and in a way targetted advertising actually is better for me as I don't get to see a bunch of Stannah stair lifts adverts et al. I just would rather be asked permission and given the opportunity to decline, before information on my personal computer is harvested. My main concern was whether I have some actual performance advantage/disadvantage from blocking this software, and after playing last night I can say that I didn't notice a bit of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I am being booted off servers with messages like "Server got disconnected ()" and "You got disconnected from server ()" or something along those lines. Seems like the latest update didn't do me any good. :(

re: Origin scanning files. I'm not freaking out, and I don't want to instill any uproar. I just thought it was prudent to block it, perhaps for a performance advantage aswell as I suppose a principle
Yup sure that's fine. I wasn't referring to you but rather the wider freak-out on the internet/youtube/twitter about this all because of someone who posted a ProcessExplorer trace that he (and most people apparently) was ill-equipped to interpret.

Awesome game, maps need some work 64 player conquest Subway is a spam fest, flash light is annoying, especially on a Sunny map like Caspian getting blinded by an enemies flashlight is not reality unless we have been able to generate more watts than the sun recently.

Not even close to true. Tactical flash lights are insanely bright and will definitely blind you even on a sunny day.

http://www.nerdbuster.com/2011/09/eas-origin-wants-to-scan-your-pc-and-invade-your-privacy/

Their TOS that you agree to allows them to transmit back to EA any software you install (does not have to be theirs), when you installed it, "how" you use your software, what hardware you install and how you use it. EA then has the right that you granted them, to share that information with anyone it wants. They also retain the right, that you granted them, to use this in marketing products to you, including products from any partners (presumably that pay them enough money).

The article compares that to Steam as well. Which unlike Origin is self restricting (only their own software or software distributed through Steam) and cannot be used for marketing or data mining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lGUOFjMuQA#!

A video showing just what stuff Origins is data mining and monitoring on your system. This includes Skype, IM clients (Messenger for example), and other things Origins should have no business monitoring. The monitoring of Skype (and I presume any other voice application, Teamspeak, Ventrilo, Mumble for example) and IM I find particularly disturbing. Especially as it allows them to track any and all conversations you have with anyone on the internet if they desire.

Regards,
SB
This is really disturbing. Why the hell EA needs to monitor my Skype activity ? :( I understand the need for marketing data to drive sales up but this is a bit too much. I agree with what bigtabs said that option to decline EA all this data mining would be the best solution. The problem is that until we will not create a bit of uproar about the issue nothing is going to change. I guess sandboxie will be the way to go till the issue is fixed.

Just look at Karkand.. LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT AND SEE!
Damn i am sooooo happy i pre ordered the LE edition and will not have to pay for B2K :)

Frame rate has been jumping around a lot, recently. The past few days it's been completely unstable. I've read that a lot of people are encountering similar issue. I play with Vsync on, and it usually dips 2-3 FPS every few minutes, which is odd, because I can usually maintain a constant 60 FPS. I read there's some bug fixes on their way, hoping to clear up "stability issues and rubber-banding" (I don't even know what that is). I've played with Vsync off and I get 100-130 FPS, but the frame rate is really jumpy. I'm hoping Nvidia releases new WHQL's, soon.

That command I was telling you about is "RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1". This will obviously disable triple buffering so I would disable vsync altogether if you use it. Fortunately this game doesn't hardly tear even without vsync from what I can tell.

On my GTX260 this smoothed out most (not quite all) of the wild fluctuations I was getting. More importantly it gave a sensation of having overall higher FPS. Hard to describe, but 30fps without the tweak feels more like 20fps. :???: I think they call this microstuttering.

Origin is fucked right now. Can't play online for the last hour.

It's back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just look at Karkand.. LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT AND SEE!

Enhanced Destruction. What?!?!? GTFO. This is definitely the best $42 I ever spent. I feel kind of guilty though, entertainment $/hr wise. Although I guess them punishing me with Origin kind of evens things out.

Back