Battlefield 3 announced

I see more value in modding single-player games for a custom offline experience. For an online game with Battlefield, which I guess they're saying will have a better single-player component this time around, you can't really do any modding unless it's a total conversion or a completely different branch of the game, with its own servers, and a fractured player base.

I know Counterstrike started as a mod, but that was ages ago, when you could make a quality mod much much faster than you can now. I'm sure Dice could provide modding tools. The question is whether the community would be able to deal with the complexity of the game engine and come out with anything worthwhile in a reasonable time frame. I'm sure the community could make something, but it's a question to Dice as to whether they feel it's worthwhile to develop a toolset for modders, or put those man hours into their game. I can see both points of view.

I know Counterstrike started as a mod, but that was ages ago, when you could make a quality mod much much faster than you can now.

I doubt that. Aren't tools much better and easier to work with nowadays and significantly more people are using them? Just look at the ammount of stuff released with Source, UE3/UDK, Gamebryo, Thief fan missions, racing mods, Civ and NWN2 stuff, Total War total conversions and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, it wouldn't kill you to man up and play some MP every once in a while (well, it might actually :LOL:).

Heh, perhaps I'll give the online FPS world a peek again when I get BF3. :) Part of not coming back to FPS multiplayer (versus something like DoW II coop) is that I know my FPS skills have been greatly dulled by age. I'll be a sad panda if I can't consistently get in the top 2-3 on every server. :(

Regards,
SB

I honestly had no idea Battlefield 1/2/3 as a series existed... :(

There was never a Battlefield 1, which was very strange. It went 1942, Vietnam and then Battlefield 2, I think. Then they did 2143, Bad Company, 1943, Bad Company 2 and now Bad Company 2: Vietnam, which is also very confusing. Heroes came out in there somewhere.

Bad Company 2 was the shit, basically. 64 players, classes, squads, commander role, huge maps, lots of vehicles.

I certainly shit the first time I played BF2. :D

The highlight for me however was Special Forces. I nearly shit the first time I got tear gassed and the screen got all woozy. Grappling hooks, zip lines, etc. Just pure awesome.

Or they could follow the Valve model of growing the community and which would keep people buying the full game for years instead of nickle and diming people with DLCs and map macks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/valve-wont-charge-for-dlc

But what about the Mann-Co store for TF2? My idea for mods wouldn't extend into the core BF3 experience. I personally have a problem with DLC if it cuts into the core multiplayer game, like map packs. Preferably, I think they should be planned to be included in patches to add more to the game over time for no cost to the players. DLC mods I would run completely separate of the core game itself like any BF2 multiplayer mod. I just think the option to allow people to sell their mods could work out pretty well if the creator chooses to. If they (mod creators) decide to release for free, DICE still gets some money for having the toolkit bought. It's possible to create word of mouth via the mods on the internet. For me, Mount & Blade Warband is a good example of me seeing a game on the net, and deciding I have to buy it. I'm very satisfied with my purchase :smile:

Preferably, I think they should be planned to be included in patches to add more to the game over time for no cost to the players

Yeah, I agree.

Implementing Man-Co-like stuff in any game shouldn't have an impact on the game's balance. TF2 is already enough "casual" as it is, and much less competitive oriented than TFC.

Oh and I forgot to mention, it was only on the internet that I found out about the mods I've played heavily for Battlefield 2: Forgotten Hope 2, Project Reality and AIX, all excellent mods.

I'm in taiwan and pre-ordered bf3 (english) with my EA account here. the price €27!

Heh, perhaps I'll give the online FPS world a peek again when I get BF3. :) Part of not coming back to FPS multiplayer (versus something like DoW II coop) is that I know my FPS skills have been greatly dulled by age. I'll be a sad panda if I can't consistently get in the top 2-3 on every server. :(

Regards,
SB

really? being a top dog is fun but especially in something like bc2 I often cherrish the experience of doing something awesome over actually being on top. that's just a side effect of enjoying your game.

Been playing some Bad Company 2 lately. Never was that big into the previous BF games so I don't know what I'm missing, but BC2 is total awesomeness IMO.

Now that Crytek has gone the CoD route with multiplayer BF3 will be the only game in town.

Been playing some Bad Company 2 lately. Never was that big into the previous BF games so I don't know what I'm missing, but BC2 is total awesomeness IMO.

Now that Crytek has gone the CoD route with multiplayer BF3 will be the only game in town.

Bad Company already went the CoD route, and looks like BF3 will too with the removal of commander featureand squad talk "later". And the reason given for the revomal of commander is a text book example of "dumbing down". Riccitelo already said they want to take on CoD, and by god they'll fulfill that promise do it along with map packs and no PC mod tools.

You forgot Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2 and Nuclear Dawn. To save us from the mediocrity of the lowest common dennominator and race to the bottom,

Riccitelo already said they want to take on CoD, and by god they'll fulfill that promise do it along with map packs and no PC mod tools.

You forgot Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2 and Nuclear Dawn. To save us from the mediocrity of the lowest common dennominator and race to the bottom,

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287426/news/battlefield-3-dev-you-cant-kill-cod-by-copying/

Speaking to fans via Twitter, Kertz wrote: "You don't kill COD by trying to be COD. You kill COD by making a better shooter."

The DICE man also promised a significant amount of depth over the last Battlefield instalment:

"BF3 will be deeper than BF2," he wrote. "That said we've paid a lot of attention to keeping depth while pacing the learning curve.

"BF3 is the sequel to BF2. It's not BC3. No, grappling hook and zipline are not in the plan."

Don't you think all the pessimism is a bit much at this stage?

Bad Company already went the CoD route, and looks like BF3 will too with the removal of commander featureand squad talk "later". And the reason given for the revomal of commander is a text book example of "dumbing down". Riccitelo already said they want to take on CoD, and by god they'll fulfill that promise do it along with map packs and no PC mod tools.

Have you play CoD lately? BC2 is nothing like it, and so much better. And like N_B said they're going for more depth in BF3.

Crysis on the other hand has jumped on the CoD train head over heals. They dropped everything that made their multiplayer great and unique.

BC2 beasts COD with it's pinky, period. COD is pure run and gun, BC2 is very tactical and requires more skills than just putting your crosshair at someone head and holding down the trigger for X sec.

I'm thinking most people here are afraid of "going COD" means more simplicity. And devs adding "more depth" is just the amount of unlocks and customization.

I suggest everyone to take a look at battlefield online (play4free variant) to see what is possible with a dumbed down (no squads, but assault has a squad leader like unlock) yet expanded BF2 would look like.

ofcourse, when you're in the beta, I'm neliz there... add me to the friends list.

Back