Battlefield 3 announced

Also I like my idea of varying control points that are either controlled by the server, or by an admin at the beginning of a game.

I think UT's control point implementation is the best, where you're not all focused on the same control-point, but you can't sneak a single soldier behind the lines to capture a point on his own.

I liked Frontlines too, just loved the weapons & sound effects !
The nuclear level where you ride the tank was amazing.

Nice to see Frontlines get some love,
It was £4.99 in my local shop so I thought i'd give it a chance
and then i was like "wow why have I never heard of this before"

I've always wondered, does Frontlines actually have a good single player campaign? I skipped it completely because it sounded like another pseudo play against the bots string of scenarios like the BF series has had rather than an actual campaign.

Regards,
SB

The SP is really well done...its a sham though that very few people know that Frontlines is a game with a good SP.

I summon repi to this thread! Tell us about Stuff (tm) and Things (tm) that relate to the tech in this game.

Details from Game Informer:
Aiming for CY Q4 2011 release
-Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together
-Frosbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written
-Lighting sounds neat, one "probe" contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.
-Level destruction is going to be "believable" but basically everything is destructible.
-Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.
-AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets
-No more "gliding" animations that look off, animation realism is a focus
-Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism
-Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats
-Plan on better, more immediate post release content
-More unlocks than BFBC2
-Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having "pink rabbit hat(s)"
-4 classes
-Will talk about squads "later"
-Looking into a theater mode but can't talk about it
-Will have co-op
-There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off
-BF3's team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2
-They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.
-Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah - Iraqi Kurdistan.
-"Fuck" will be used often, so M rated for sure
-There will be an earthquake in a level. The destruction sounds very impressive. 7 story building collapses, looks very well done
-Significant narrative that goes with the SP mode
-More than one setting, you're not in the middle east for the whole game
-PC version is lead version
-Why 64 players for PC only? No complains from the console crowd.
-No mod tools at release. Maybe none down the line either. Frosbite 2.0 is complex and mods tools would have to be dumbed down, so does Dice really want to put their time to that or would it be better spent elsewhere?
-Original story, not based on Bad Company at all.

Significant narrative? Singleplayer campaign should completely be redundant in a true BF game. EA sure wants to take on CoD.

Squad/commander talk "later"?

Four classes only? Medic OP again?

No mod tools? Didn't they say that Frostbite 1.X's toolchain was a nightmare to work with, but since a lot of EA studios are using Frostbite 2.0, they\ve spent huge ammount of money and man-hours making the tools easily usable. Well, I guess they want to sell stuff post-release.

What Battlefield 3 needs to avoid

Top 10 things we wish to see in Battlefield 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs:
-128 player MP
-Decent view distance &/or a visibility/camouflage system
-Bolt action weapons
-Sub-machineguns that can't snipe you from across the map
-Machineguns that have a chance of hitting anything
-AA weapons that have a chance of hitting anything
-Spitfires, Me109s & Yak9s
-Moving ships & subs

Or in summary to be cancelled & a proper sequel to 1942 made instead :p

To be honest, mod tools isn't a big deal to me anymore. Vaporware mods are pretty common, because to make a mod that's of the same quality as a professional studio takes an incredibly long time. If they feel they cannot properly support them mod community with free tools, then it's probably best they skip that. The last thing you want is some crappy free tool set that can't properly deliver the same quality as the tools they use in house. If they can divert those resources to making the game better, then I'm ok with that.

Oh so whats this? I only knew of Battlefield 1942 and that futuristic version. Are you guys saying that some other Batlefield series existed?! WOW.

No modding tools is disappointing. Everything else sounds good, though.

EDIT: From the magazine:

"Destruction 3.0

With the Frostbite 2 engine, nothing on the battlefield is safe from destruction. In the demos we watched, an earthquake ripped apart the city streets, and a seven-story structure collapsed in a plume of dust particles and rubble. When an RPG is fired at a building, the force of the explosion causes rippling splash damage as it would in real life, breaking windows throughout the blast radius and tearing the facade into hundreds of pieces.

All I can say is: O M G :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back