Battlefield 3 announced

I ate too many chili cheese fries and my stomach's upset, but I'm just gonna sit here and shit myself. This is too much fun.

It looks incredible with everything on high no MSAA. And runs very smoothly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got in a round on Caspian and the map is HUEG, xbox hueg. It is very disorientating since you can't bring up a big map, you can only upsize the minimap and then display a little bit of it. The huge maps need full screen maps!

Other than that, I can see that map being awesome, much more open and interesting than Metro.

Too bad I just got 1 round and then the server "timed out." What a bunch of bollocks.

Resolution?

1440x900 :p I'm actually glad that's all my monitor supports, it gives me an excuse to not upgrade.

This is a very glitchy beta. I get weird graphical artifacts sometimes and falling through the map is never fun.

But damn when it works it is beautiful and just good old fashioned FUN.

BTW I know DICE has been competing in the Worst Server Browser Ever contest for some time now, but they've outdone themselves here. It is a huge hindrance to the game.

Well the game isn't really playable on my old comp, which is a S939 X2 3800+ @2400MHz and 8800GT that I managed to get working. I have no right to be surprised or disappointed, but that rig should still be a fair bit faster than the XB360. :???:

BTW I know DICE has been competing in the Worst Server Browser Ever contest for some time now, but they've outdone themselves here. It is a huge hindrance to the game.
Lies. It's fast, filters work, friends work, parties included. It's still kinda buggy (especially party join and servers keep crashing) but the infrastructure is already objectively better than any of their previous games (and pretty much most other games too). Do you even remember the BC2 server browser? Or BF2? Or any other ones? Oh yeah the ones that made us wait 2 minutes to refresh an outdated, broken list with filters that randomly decide to work or not work... it's a clear step forward and it'll be great once the bugs are ironed out.

I'm sorry but it's a freaking joke. I can click through 10 games that show 2+ open slots and they all come up with a server full message. My brother was actually laughing at me when I was trying to show him the game. Totally broken.

Functionally it seems okay, but I can't ignore the fact that it doesn't freaking work.

1920x1080p all settings on Ultra except post process AA (I felt it was useless)

I'm getting 50-70fps.

GTX570 SC @ 820Mhz

I'm sorry but it's a freaking joke. I can click through 10 games that show 2+ open slots and they all come up with a server full message. My brother was actually laughing at me when I was trying to show him the game. Totally broken.

Functionally it seems okay, but I can't ignore the fact that it doesn't freaking work.

I only had that experience the first day, because Queues are disabled. Now I'm just joining servers with 5+ free slots (since they fill up in no time) and which have nice low pings (<20)

As I said, once you realize that the queues don't work and that there's MILLIONS of people that want to play, the server browser works.

and yes, they need to add join IP/join friend etc. but it's already a lot better than the bc2 server browser ever was!

I have do agree with the innefficiency of the browser in the browser, there's nothing preventing to have an in-game browser queue system, since the handling is all on the server side, also there's the resource bloat it adds, origin + browser are taking around 200MB of ram, memory the game could definitly make better use of, specially for systems with 4GB or less. Who the hell tought of all this? An ex-HP manager? :(

There's other few annoying things but they'v already been spoken of as well.

We have distributed a server side update with the following changes:

- Terrain destruction disabled, because it causes problems with people crawling around under the map. We have a proper fix for this in the retail game, but chose to simply disable it for the OB

- Preround is fully activated: 8 players required to transition from preround to in-game; when 8 players are reached, the start-timer is set to 10 seconds

- Fixes for the most common game server crashes reported over the past 48 hours

- Fixes for end-of-round progress reporting to Battlelog (so players will see their progress more detailed on Battlelog)

The Server Providers have been instructed to deploy before Fri Sep 30th, 0800 UTC (when it impacts players the least).

Downtime should be minimal.
Apparently the beta build is quite old-ish, i.e. buggy. :???:

I am getting a lot of graphics corruption on the initial large outdoors spawn area when running with crossfire on with my 5870s. Doesn´t seem to be temperature related because it happens even when downclocked and running fans at 100%. Only happens with resolutions bigger than 1440x900. Doesn´t seem to be affected by graphics settings. I´m puzzled.

Crossfire off and neither card will individually show any corruption. It doesn´t happen anywhere else on the map either. (there´s another outdoor area where there is no corruption)

11.10 preview driver.

no such corruption with other games and benchmarks that I´ve tried such as Witcher 2, Crysis 2, 3dmark 06,vantage, 11, unigine heaven...

I am getting a lot of graphics corruption on the outdoors area when running with crossfire on with my 5870s. Doesn´t seem to be temperature related because it happens even when downclocked and running fans at 100%. Only happens with resolutions bigger than 1440x900. Doesn´t seem to be affected by graphics settings. I´m puzzled.

Crossfire off and neither card will individually show any corruption. It doesn´t happen in the indoors areas either.

11.10 preview driver.

no such corruption with other games and benchmarks that I´ve tried such as Witcher 2, Crysis 2, 3dmark 06,vantage, 11, unigine heaven...

Some have the same problem on Guru3d&co, so I guess it's come frome the game. It is still a beta after all.

I ate too many chili cheese fries and my stomach's upset, but I'm just gonna sit here and shit myself. This is too much fun.

It looks incredible with everything on high no MSAA. And runs very smoothly.

Interesting, thanks. I have a 6750 OC'd and a 5770 so I think I'll try it out.

Downloaded the beta and it runs surprisingly good in Metro. Everything on highest 'ultra'/FXAA except SSAO instead of HBAO which creates massive lag. 1440x900 on my old 4890. That said it was indoors but it was super smooth. Gameplay seems fine though lots of bugs but thats given. Gotta say it looks far more impressive than the shots I've seen at GAF especially with all the lights cast from bullet impacts and rockets etc.

Thanks for the code Neliz but it just could not join the plane/heli map. Either no server exists or 64 players are in.

I've played almost two hours so far and I must say it is really outstanding. I've just been playing on random low-ping servers with random folks, but the game really seems to force you into good teamwork. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I frequently find myself in pretty tactical, well-organized squads. The combination of marking enemies with 'q' and then pounding them with suppressive fire until somebody gets the kill really rewards cooperation.

Incidentally, I see a good deal of Mirror's Edge in the fluidity of the movement, and the way the levels are designed so you can kind of slide around. I really enjoy it on Metro when you finish an objective and everyone starts hauling ass across the map towards the next one.

If anyone wants to add me my Origin ID is Otto_Dafe.

Just FYI, they have shut down Caspian testing. What a crock of shit.

I am getting a lot of graphics corruption on the initial large outdoors spawn area when running with crossfire on with my 5870s. Doesn´t seem to be temperature related because it happens even when downclocked and running fans at 100%. Only happens with resolutions bigger than 1440x900. Doesn´t seem to be affected by graphics settings. I´m puzzled.

Crossfire off and neither card will individually show any corruption. It doesn´t happen anywhere else on the map either. (there´s another outdoor area where there is no corruption)

11.10 preview driver.

I get the corruption too sometimes with a single GTX260. No overclocking except the very slight core bump MSI gave it.

Interesting, thanks. I have a 6750 OC'd and a 5770 so I think I'll try it out.

The game should fine on those GPUs. What CPU? That seems to matter a lot in this game.

I've played almost two hours so far and I must say it is really outstanding. I've just been playing on random low-ping servers with random folks, but the game really seems to force you into good teamwork. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I frequently find myself in pretty tactical, well-organized squads. The combination of marking enemies with 'q' and then pounding them with suppressive fire until somebody gets the kill really rewards cooperation.

Yeah, especially as support, you now actually get rewarded for.. supporting!
I now fire at red triangles irregardless of whether I think a bullet might hit or not.

Incidentally, I see a good deal of Mirror's Edge in the fluidity of the movement, and the way the levels are designed so you can kind of slide around.

Yeah, that's what I noticed too, though I can't seem to do anything with the "slide" yet.

I also love the fact that I can now kill people with my knife AND do knife kills (two separate things)

I really enjoy it on Metro when you finish an objective and everyone starts hauling ass across the map towards the next one

Best part for me on metro is the huge brawl in the metro entrance hall. As defense, you're basically feeling like you're waiting for an invasion and you know you'll get flanked sooner or later, but all the bullets flying around and destroying everything really get you going preparing for the C4 an rifle kills.

Best part for me on metro is the huge brawl in the metro entrance hall. As defense, you're basically feeling like you're waiting for an invasion and you know you'll get flanked sooner or later, but all the bullets flying around and destroying everything really get you going preparing for the C4 an rifle kills.

Yeah, I haven't played as support yet but I definitely want to in those tunnels. Somebody on the beta forums suggested faking that your machine gun is out of ammo and then mowing the attackers down when they rush :devilish:.

Back