Battle Royale, Pentium 4 at 5.2GHz

swaaye said:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1787/

Well, would ya look at that. P4 @ 5.2Ghz catches up with a FX55! ( :LOL: )
BTW, the K6-III+ I'm posting on was not impressed.

heh its not just chip speeds the ram was overclocked too

Wonder what would happen if they put that fx 55 to 2.8 or 3ghz with its ram overclocked by 20mhz ?

I find it funny that you think it's so hilarious that one processor beats another processor by 10 fps in games. Especially considering gaming isn't the only thing a computer can do.

ANova said:
I find it funny that you think it's so hilarious that one processor beats another processor by 10 fps in games. Especially considering gaming isn't the only thing a computer can do.

You're right, I mainly care about games. I don't care about Winstone or Sysmark, or about 3D Rendering suites. I don't use them and Office runs just as well on a P2. I play games on my computer and it Folds for Tech Report (maybe this P4 is a demon at Folding?). Right now I'm running a AXP 2.5Ghz, and I can tell you right now that Netburst is not on the upgrade list unless they do some serious re-engineering of that damned literal barn burner.

Just look what it took to get it to 5.2Ghz and all it could put out when it got there!

Bring on the inevitable Pentium-M based variant chip.

ANova said:

I do find it funny , Why not ? I'm a gamer ... I like to game with my system and the fact is a much lower clocked athlon 64 can handle a highly overclocked p4 .

What this shows me is buying a normal athlon 64 of high clock speeds like the 3800+ or the 4000+ will be a better deal than buying a p4 at 3.8 or 4ghz as the athlon 64 of those speeds would be better and since i don't have a crazy cooling system like those the overclock on both systems would not affect the overclock

swaaye said:
I don't use them and Office runs just as well on a P2. I play games on my computer and it Folds for Tech Report (maybe this P4 is a demon at Folding?).
The P4 with HT remains the best choice for Folding in terms of points product per day.

Hmm. as a gaming cpu, it's pretty weak.
For everything else, it's usally about as fast or faster.
So if you don't just count gaming, the A64 looks silly sometimes, when a 4000+ can't beat an intel 6XX 3.2ghz cpu.
The P4 remains, and always has been, the CPU for video encoding, and 3d rendering.

but... honestly... I love gaming :(

This sucker of a cpu still is up to the task most of the times but if I ever considered going AMD, now was the time.

I'm going to wait for the double cores still, however...

Accord1999 said:
swaaye said:
I don't use them and Office runs just as well on a P2. I play games on my computer and it Folds for Tech Report (maybe this P4 is a demon at Folding?).
The P4 with HT remains the best choice for Folding in terms of points product per day.

How about two Athlon MP cpus? They must be fairly cheap by now.....

BTW, I haven't seen any 3ghz ahtlon 64 benchmarks, but how about a 533mhz 2-2-2-2 ddr benchmark?(is it single or double channel?)
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2369&p=9

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2369&p=11

Wonder how fast a 3.4 Ghz EE Socket 478 would fold and play games...anyone have any experience with that CPU?

suryad said:
DudeMeister that is seriously impressive. What kind of cooling are you using?
That's not DudeMeister's setup, it's OPPAINTER, a well known extreme overclocker (sorry Dude :p). He used cascade phase change cooling.

lol, I realised after the fact people might be confused by that post. As for his cooling afaik 2x PC-Ice 2 stage cascades at ~-100C each.

Back