Bob Colwell (PPro designer) interview

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Raqia, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Raqia

Regular

Here's a fascinating interview of Bob Colwell, one of the principal architects of the revolutionary and long lived P6 architecture:

http://newsletter.sigmicro.org/sigmicro-oral-history-transcripts/Bob-Colwell-Transcript.pdf

swaaye and Lightman like this.
  2. hughJ

Regular

There's more than a few interesting talks by Colwell from the past decade or so that can be found on youtube. He also has a book that covers his time as a project lead (The Pentium Chronicles?) that I've yet to read. He seems pretty outspoken and with a less than perfect end to his employment with Intel his talks made/make for some pretty candid reflections on the company and industry.

At a layman's level, reflecting on the shift to out of order and the natural byproducts of increased complexity always made me smile inwardly. While we dream about the future sci-fi possibilities of AI or having computers building themselves to the degree that the maker can no longer fully grasp the moment to moment behavior (or even the fact that one could justifiably use a word like "behavior" to describe an operating computer chip), in a lot of ways we've already transitioned through those changes, albeit unceremoniously.

Malo likes this.
  3. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

Thanks for posting this, I'll read it once I get some time.