Batman Begins

Natoma said:
You should watch it again. ;)

I thought that Batman '89 was maybe a shade under BB. After watching it again, good lord. There's just no comparison.

Heh i watched all 4 the week leading up to batman begins

Batman is much better than begins.

There is so much wrong with batman begins thats its not even funny . Its the same people who love spiderman that doesn't understand that the movie was not about spiderman at all . Just some knock off dumbed down for hollywood

Natoma said:
What, iyo, was wrong with Batman Begins?

1) No one knows who killed Bruce Wayne's parents

2) The character of Katie holmes doesn't exist anywhere in comics history

3) Bruce Waynes father did not build a huge transportation system in gotham .

4) Ducard (Sp? ) Is not rah alguls (Sp ? ) they are diffrent characters .

5) Scarecrow did not exist at that point in batmans career . Scarecrow actually came after the joker . The joker himself didn't apear for ibelieve the first 10 years of batman's run

jvd said:
Natoma said:
What, iyo, was wrong with Batman Begins?

1) No one knows who killed Bruce Wayne's parents

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Chill

Joe Chill was introduced as the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman #47, in 1948. ;)

The Joker had no grounding as the murderer of the Wayne's whatsoever.

jvd said:
2) The character of Katie holmes doesn't exist anywhere in comics history

Noted. However, there is enough room in the backstory of Batman in Canon (TM) for the character of Rachel Dawes. Numerous writers from Sam Hamm to Frank Miller have taken license with certain aspects of his backstory and enriched them.

I feel the Goyer/Nolan script did the same in this regard by tying in Bruce's parent's death with his fear of bats. That's something we've never before seen, and it works.

jvd said:
3) Bruce Waynes father did not build a huge transportation system in gotham.

Noted. However I have no issue with it for the same reasons I don't have issues with the Rachel Dawes character.

jvd said:
4) Ducard (Sp? ) Is not rah alguls (Sp ? ) they are diffrent characters.

Ducard is correct, and it's Ra's Al Ghul. You are right, they are two separate characters. However, in the film, he never introduces himself or calls himself Henri Ducard. Just Ducard. Nit pick, yes. But very important.

As he said in the film, he has aliases, of which Ducard was most definitely one. Is it possible that he's not the real Ducard? Certainly. We'll never know. The guy does have a penchant for lying. ;)

jvd said:
5) Scarecrow did not exist at that point in batmans career . Scarecrow actually came after the joker . The joker himself didn't apear for ibelieve the first 10 years of batman's run

The Joker appeared in Batman #1 (1940) according to Wikipedia, and The Scarecrow appeared in World's Finest #3 (1941).

I won't begrudge the film for this bit since it did play nicely with the overall script. And they did allude to the joker for part 2.

I'll save the problems with Batman '89 for my next post.

Batman '89 problems:

1) Repeat After Me: The... Joker... Did... Not... Kill... Bruce... Wayne's... Parents. Never Never Ever Ever. In ANY comic or backstory ever written.

2) Bruce Wayne isn't a balding, out of shape, in-need-of-glasses, 45 year old when he first puts on the suit.

3) The Joker isn't pushing 60 when he gets dumped in acid.

4) Alfred would NEVER let someone in on Bruce Wayne's secret without explicit permission from Wayne.

5) Batman isn't an executioner. That's what separates his character from, say, The Punisher. He tried numerous times to kill the Joker directly towards the end of the film, and deliberately killed a lot of henchmen in the process.

6) Batman never killed The Joker. Ever Ever Ever.

The plot changes in Batman '89 completely deviated the character and spirit of Batman from what is established Canon. The plot changes in Batman Begins enhance the character and add quite honorably to Canon imo.

Big difference.

Joe Chill was introduced as the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman #47, in 1948.

Wrong . Go ahead and pick up a comic . Actually pick up the stellar hush that won rave reviews , You will see that bruce still doesn't know who killed his parents .

Yes batman was wrong on the joker . But at least in 87 a few years before it was made there was a huge comic story where the joker was taking credit for it . As you pointed out Joe chill is from 1948 way before crisis rebooted everything and made joe chill never exist in comics .

Noted. However, there is enough room in the backstory of Batman in Canon (TM) for the character of Rachel Dawes. Numerous writers from Sam Hamm to Frank Miller have taken license with certain aspects of his backstory and enriched them.
Neither writer writes in the current countinuity (sp ? ) Thus it doesn't matter what they write . Its not part of batman's cannon

Ducard is correct, and it's Ra's Al Ghul. You are right, they are two separate characters. However, in the film, he never introduces himself or calls himself Henri Ducard. Just Ducard. Nit pick, yes. But very important.

As he said in the film, he has aliases, of which Ducard was most definitely one. Is it possible that he's not the real Ducard? Certainly. We'll never know. The guy does have a penchant for lying.
I just don't like it at all . Using another famous characters name is bull . Its like jean grey being the doctor of the xmen thus taking away the beasts role .

1) Repeat After Me: The... Joker... Did... Not... Kill... Bruce... Wayne's... Parents. Never Never Ever Ever. In ANY comic or backstory ever written
Except in 87 when the joker claimed responsiblity for it and bruce wayne chased after him . Then agian in the late 90s the joker took credit for it again .

2) Bruce Wayne isn't a balding, out of shape, in-need-of-glasses, 45 year old when he first puts on the suit.
The original batman takes place way into his career . As for batman's vision problems . I never saw him put on glasses , as bruce wayne yes , but then again bruce wayne is a cover. Clark kent never needed glasses yet he wore them .

Joker's age isn't known . So its hard to say they are toying around with him being a meta

4) Alfred would NEVER let someone in on Bruce Wayne's secret without explicit permission from Wayne.
Actually in the comics its alferd who tells vickey vale (yes a real comic character ) who batman is .

5) Batman isn't an executioner. That's what separates his character from, say, The Punisher. He tried numerous times to kill the Joker directly towards the end of the film, and deliberately killed a lot of henchmen in the process.
He allways uses excessive force and I never saw one dead henchmen .

As for the joker batman has been pushed to the edge many times in the comics and once almost killed him before Gordan stoped him . (See hush for a recent example ) Even nitewing (original robin ) tried (see jokers last laugh)

Your right. Then again the way the movie ends we don't know if he is dead or not . A cliff hanger used in the comics with the joker many times before .

e plot changes in Batman '89 completely deviated the character and spirit of Batman from what is established Canon. The plot changes in Batman Begins enhance the character and add quite honorably to Canon imo.
I think your a person who doesn't have the first clue about the character actually . I see it because you don't even know what the crissis is or any of the storys in which the joker was blamed for his parrents murder .

I admit I don't know alot about batman , i only have 900 comics of batman and many of his run in jla . But its alot more than someone who has to look up out dated info

jvd said:
Your right. Then again the way the movie ends we don't know if he is dead or not . A cliff hanger used in the comics with the joker many times before .

Joker does get killed in Dark Knight Returns. Although Batman all but kills him, it's actually the Joker himself who finally does the deed.

jvd said:

Joe Chill was introduced as the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman #47, in 1948.

Wrong . Go ahead and pick up a comic . Actually pick up the stellar hush that won rave reviews , You will see that bruce still doesn't know who killed his parents .

Yes batman was wrong on the joker . But at least in 87 a few years before it was made there was a huge comic story where the joker was taking credit for it . As you pointed out Joe chill is from 1948 way before crisis rebooted everything and made joe chill never exist in comics .

And you forget to mention that not everyone accepted Crisis. My brother collected DC and Marvel religiously until about 5 years ago when he started selling his collection on eBay. I remember the mid-80s epic storylines quite well.

jvd said:

Neither writer writes in the current countinuity (sp ? ) Thus it doesn't matter what they write . Its not part of batman's cannon

Look at this from a Starwars perspective. Stellar books like Dark Force Rising, Heir to the Empire, and The Last Command, by Timothy Zahn, aren't part of "official" Canon in that they weren't made by Lucas. But fans by and large have accepted them as part of Canon.

I have never EVER seen anyone accept Batman '89 as part of Canon while Batman Begins is already reaching that vaunted status.

jvd said:
1) Repeat After Me: The... Joker... Did... Not... Kill... Bruce... Wayne's... Parents. Never Never Ever Ever. In ANY comic or backstory ever written

Except in 87 when the joker claimed responsiblity for it and bruce wayne chased after him . Then agian in the late 90s the joker took credit for it again .

Key word: Claimed. Not did.

jvd said:

The original batman takes place way into his career . As for batman's vision problems . I never saw him put on glasses , as bruce wayne yes , but then again bruce wayne is a cover. Clark kent never needed glasses yet he wore them .

Wait. So when it's not ok, you say the original Batman doesn't matter because Crisis rebooted the franchise. But when it suits your argument, you reference the original batman? C'mon Joe. :)

As for the glasses bit, Bruce Wayne in Batman '89 was wearing glasses when he was in the Batcave! Why?? :LOL:

jvd said:

Joker's age isn't known . So its hard to say they are toying around with him being a meta

In every comic made afaik, his physical activity is certainly far more spry than that of someone pushing 60. I'd say he's easily in his 30s, and no older than late 40s.

jvd said:

Actually in the comics its alferd who tells vickey vale (yes a real comic character ) who batman is .

I know vicky vale is a real comic character, and that she had an on again, off again romance with Bruce Wayne. I didn't begrudge that in the original script or I would have noted it. ;)

And you'll have to clue me into where Alfred told Vale, or anyone else, without talking with Wayne first. ;)

jvd said:

He allways uses excessive force and I never saw one dead henchmen .

As for the joker batman has been pushed to the edge many times in the comics and once almost killed him before Gordan stoped him . (See hush for a recent example ) Even nitewing (original robin ) tried (see jokers last laugh)

Batman fired missiles at the henchmen while he was in the Batwing. Not only that, but he threw one of the henchmen down the belfry shaft. In Batman Returns, he threw a few off a high rise bridge. One of them he strapped a piece of dynamite to their waist. In Batman '89, he blew up the Axis Chemicals factory that had lots of people in it.

jvd said:

Your right. Then again the way the movie ends we don't know if he is dead or not . A cliff hanger used in the comics with the joker many times before.

Oh come on. He drops like 100 stories and creates an imprint in the concrete from the force of his landing. His face is covered with blood and smashed in. He's not walking away from that. I think the movie made that very clear. ;)

jvd said:
e plot changes in Batman '89 completely deviated the character and spirit of Batman from what is established Canon. The plot changes in Batman Begins enhance the character and add quite honorably to Canon imo.

I think your a person who doesn't have the first clue about the character actually . I see it because you don't even know what the crissis is or any of the storys in which the joker was blamed for his parrents murder .

I admit I don't know alot about batman , i only have 900 comics of batman and many of his run in jla . But its alot more than someone who has to look up out dated info

So because I didn't mention Crisis beforehand I all of a sudden don't know anything about the character? Hello. I did mention Frank Miller in particular, who wrote his seminal piece on Batman (Batman: Year One, Dark Knight Returns, et al), right after Crisis.

And as I said before, the Joker taking blame for the murder and actually doing it, or that being accepted as the knock down drag out truth (as opposed to Joe Chill doing it) in fan accepted canon, are far different things.

I was reading comics before either of you two Yancy Street punks were born and I'll say Batman Begins is the better film translation of the character and his backstory than Burton's could ever hope to be.

I have not read the comics...since I grew up all over the globe and never really had a chance to grow my collection of comics besides Asterix and Tintin...they both rock! But the point is that i have been a big fan of Batman ever since I saw the animated series the old school one from WB. I read up on stories and so on and the overall essence of what I got from it was that here was a very tortured man suffering since his parents died and he travelled around the world searching for something and he finally realizes what it was...and he uses his fear to put fear into others...master ninja skills, stealth, etc etc...my point of this rather long post is that the movie Batman Begins did the best in capturing the "essence" should I say of the Batman. I never enjoyed the original Batman series to the fullest because there was always something missng and yeah...Bruce Wayne was never a nerdy looking gray haired guy I dont think. He always conveyed to me a man at the top of his game...and so extremely physically fit...Batman Begins just does great in capturing the mood and the darkness and makes you feel the rage that Bruce Wayne felt...I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was way better than what Xmen 2 was able to convey and honestly that was the better of 2 movies. Spiderman was a great movie as well...Spiderman 2 had too much of him cryign and so on...for crying out loud man ITS ONLY ONE GIRL!!!

Anyway once again, Batman Begins while not being completely true to the comicbooks, I know it isnt...but I dont think that was the point of the movie. The point was to show Batman as a bada** to show how he came about and to convey the rage...and kind of like an intro to the new series of Batman movies that are going to follow...hope all I said makes sense.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
jvd said:

Joker does get killed in Dark Knight Returns. Although Batman all but kills him, it's actually the Joker himself who finally does the deed.

You talking about the new one or the original ? In the original the joker isn't in it . In the second one its dick grayson as the joker . Not the real joker

nd you forget to mention that not everyone accepted Crisis. My brother collected DC and Marvel religiously until about 5 years ago when he started selling his collection on eBay. I remember the mid-80s epic storylines quite well.

Wtf does this have to do with anything . I don't except hal jordan's return , does this make it not true ? Of course not . Crisis happened . Its done .
Thus everything before it has changed. Not to mention a slew of storys aside from crisis that modified his origin .

Look at this from a Starwars perspective. Stellar books like Dark Force Rising, Heir to the Empire, and The Last Command, by Timothy Zahn, aren't part of "official" Canon in that they weren't made by Lucas. But fans by and large have accepted them as part of Canon.
Actually all star wars novels are part of star wars canon acording to lucas .

There is an offical time line and universe for dc . Storys that don't fall into it are either elseworlds or one shots . Kingdom come like Dark knight returns are not part of cannon. They are what ifs . Nothing more

I have never EVER seen anyone accept Batman '89 as part of Canon while Batman Begins is already reaching that vaunted status.
Neither films are canon. Neither can ever be canon . Doesn't matter what the nerds say . Batman begins is not accurate to modern day batman .

Key word: Claimed. Not did.
key word , the story went on till the early 90s . It was an on going story in which the joker claimed to have done it . So thus when the movie was made and the script was made the joker was still claiming to be the murder . Joe chill was known not to have done it . Today no one knows who is killer is . So what they made in the movie is wrong .

Wait. So when it's not ok, you say the original Batman doesn't matter because Crisis rebooted the franchise. But when it suits your argument, you reference the original batman? C'mon Joe.
What are you talking about ? Crisis rebooted all of dc . However characters didn't start over and not everything about them was changed. Its very complicated and thus its hard to talk to you about it because you don't know about crisis. Some events still happened pre crisis like bruce waynes parents dieing , others like bruce marying selina and having kids and growing old did not happen .

But that is getting to alot of shit like the multi universes and the changing of origins .

As for the glasses bit, Bruce Wayne in Batman '89 was wearing glasses when he was in the Batcave! Why??
Why not ? Batman should be in his late 20s early 30s . Why wouldn't he ? Lasiks wasn't made yet .

In every comic made afaik, his physical activity is certainly far more spry than that of someone pushing 60. I'd say he's easily in his 30s, and no older than late 40s.

If you want to get into it batman should be in his late 40s also . He adopted dick when he was 12 . now he graduated college many years ago in comics . The whole time line is screwed up to keep batman and superman in thier early 30s

And you'll have to clue me into where Alfred told Vale, or anyone else, without talking with Wayne first.

The way it went down as I remmeber it (and i'd have to get my uncles comics ) is that she woke up in the cave and startled alferd who was forced to tell her

Batman fired missiles at the henchmen while he was in the Batwing. Not only that, but he threw one of the henchmen down the belfry shaft. In Batman Returns, he threw a few off a high rise bridge. One of them he strapped a piece of dynamite to their waist. In Batman '89, he blew up the Axis Chemicals factory that had lots of people in it.
But were any dead ?

In batman begins he kills the guy pretending to be rhal or whatever along with anyone else who died in the fire at the temple

Oh come on. He drops like 100 stories and creates an imprint in the concrete from the force of his landing. His face is covered with blood and smashed in. He's not walking away from that. I think the movie made that very clear.
In batman returns selina is droped out of a sky scraper and gets up and walks home and gets slutty . Perhaps the joker will walk home and become a slut

So because I didn't mention Crisis beforehand I all of a sudden don't know anything about the character? Hello. I did mention Frank Miller in particular, who wrote his seminal piece on Batman (Batman: Year One, Dark Knight Returns, et al), right after Crisis.
Yet you bring up things pre crisis that are now diffrent post crisis .

That be fine if the move was made in the late 70s early 80s but now that its the 2000s they should have never made a mistake .

And as I said before, the Joker taking blame for the murder and actually doing it, or that being accepted as the knock down drag out truth (as opposed to Joe Chill doing it) in fan accepted canon, are far different things.

Except as I've said even in batman / superman comic started last year batman doesn't know who killed his parents . Its something he never finds out and he keeps striving to find out .

At least at the time of batman they were up to date with joker taking the credit for bruce waynes parents death . Batman begins is very off .

jvd, you seem to be saying that what was wrong with Batman Begins is that it wasn't exactly like the comic. As long as the story works and the movie is good then it shouldn't have to stick exactly to the comic. After all this is a movie not a comic and what works in one medium doesn't neccesarily work in another (look at the original Batman movies for evidence of that).

Batman Begins is the best action movie I've seen in god knows how long. All the changes made worked really well and made the movie more believable. When I first heard about the movie I laughed to be honest and pictured another peice of crap Batman movie. When I saw it I couldn't have been more shocked. Finally a Batman movie that wasn't so obsessed with Batman that they forgot to actually make it a good movie. I've only gone to the cinema 6-7 times over the last few years. But I've gone to see Batman Begins twice so far.

Oh and as for saying that people who like this movie are the same people who like the Spiderman movie and don't understand that its just a dumbed down knock off.. Firstly, I don't like the Spiderman movies much. The first one was a good super hero movie compared to most of the crap at the time, but nothing that great as a movie. I didn't like the second movie (rediculous story IMO). But anyway IMO your looking at things in a totally narrow way as if the comic is the only version that should be allowed. I understand perfectly well that Batman Begins isn't exactly like the original Batman comics, I just don't care. In fact I'm glad its not based to closely to the comic. Not because the comic is bad but because this is a movie not a comic.

Teasy the point is , you could have named him catman and the movie woudl have been the same because whats on the screen isn't batman .

Just like whats on the screen for spiderman , isn't spiderman

Whoa jvd...you cant be serious? Surely this is the best interpretation of Batman from comic to the big screen? So they took a bit of leeway and named Ras Al Gul Ducard...but that should not be the end all be all should it? You really cannot convince people to think thath the older Batman series captured and portrayed what it meant to be the Batman as well as this movie did!

suryad said:
Whoa jvd...you cant be serious? Surely this is the best interpretation of Batman from comic to the big screen? So they took a bit of leeway and named Ras Al Gul Ducard...but that should not be the end all be all should it? You really cannot convince people to think thath the older Batman series captured and portrayed what it meant to be the Batman as well as this movie did!

at the time of the movies releases yes , yes batman did a better job than batman begins .

suryad said:

jvd just hates being wrong. :rolleyes: :devilish: ;)

Back