Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4,XO]

Cars + fighting reminds me of Sleeping Dogs.

BTW: Who the hell is still living in Arkham after the events of the first 3 games?!

Iron(bat)man. Don't really think I'm looking forward to batmobile challenges and the sort, tbh.

I can't help but wonder if he'd look a little more nutty with white paint around his eyes instead of black. Edit: On second thought, maybe not.

There is some difference between shots that are clearly actual gameplay, and most of the trailer, which seem to be cinematics. Both are in-engine, but the quality changes.

Ingame Batman:

image_batman_arkham_knight-25050-2899_0012.jpg

Ingame Batmobile:

image_batman_arkham_knight-25050-2899_0009.jpg

Lighting and shading are very different, and maybe even the character model is a more simple one. Perhaps the cinematics are pre-rendered from UE?

Looks 1080 height at the very least.

Lighting and shading are very different, and maybe even the character model is a more simple one. Perhaps the cinematics are pre-rendered from UE?
Kind of weird considering the game informer article mentioned no more pre-rendered, "all in-engine", but I mean, cut-scenes in the previous games were already in-engine (pre-rendered), so it shouldn't have meant the PR-speak of "in-engine including pre-rendered" for AK. :???:

It would certainly be more understandable if they cheated a bit with black bars for cut-scenes, but that's evidently not the case... Maybe they're just being conservative for gameplay framerate?

Old-school station wagons in Gotham. Love it. Reminds me of my childhood and scalding belt buckles on summer days. I'm a little disappointed that they don't have physically-based shading for wood side panels on that thing.

I apologise for my noobness in Batman lore, but isn't the city supposed to be called Gotham?:eek:

It's still Gotham. Arkham is a walled and quarantined zone of Gotham that was subsequently called "City" after the escape of the inmates of Arkham Asylum.

But really, every single guy you find in the "city" is a bad person and wants to hurt you. Kinda reminds me of Far Cry 2.

it'll be easy to find the pre-rendered cinematics if there are any. just put on a different costume and see which scenes if any default back to the normal one

I was completely Wowed last night, when I saw it on youtube , and thought this is what you get when u are unshackled from PS360.

Now that I have seen the Gamersyde footage, the gameplay scenes are nothing to go gaga about :( !

Looks 1080 height at the very least.

Kind of weird considering the game informer article mentioned no more pre-rendered, "all in-engine", but I mean, cut-scenes in the previous games were already in-engine (pre-rendered), so it shouldn't have meant the PR-speak of "in-engine including pre-rendered" for AK. :???:

Cut-scenes rendered in-engine by the console/pc can still look substantially better than the actual gameplay graphics. Just look at all the MT Framework games from Capcom. RE5 is a pretty decent looking game. RE5's cut-scenes, however, look absolutely terrific. A couple of carefully placed extra light sources, tightly controlled color grading and other post processing effects, some added shadows here and there, and non-player controlled image composition are just as important as more easily quantifiable features such as texture resolution and image quality.

I think the game looks terrific, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case, the actual lighting looks on a completely different level. I mean, sure, if they cheated a bit with black bars, it'd be easier to reconcile (Halo 3/4 etc.). That's on the presumption of pushing the in-game framerate @ 30Hz though.

Fair enough. :)

As I was saying, it wouldn't make any sense for the article to point out there was nothing prerendered all in-engine unlike previous games while ending up pre-rendered in-engine (the usual PR twist), when all the cut-scenes in-game for the others were already in-engine/pre-rendered.

tl;dr - there'd be nothing worth bragging about if it were the same as previous games, so yes, realtime.

Back