[360, PS3] Batman: Arkham Asylum

There's an article at Ars on how some people (including the author of the article) have had their 60GB PS3s die while playing Batman -- has that happened to anyone here?

Games consoles die, and when a title such as Batman is released, more are going to die while playing the same game at the same time. It doesn't mean any more are going bang than usual, it's just that all of those gamers are looking for a common thread and in this case it happens to be Batman.

It's the same as a lot of people posting that a firmware update killed their PS3 (or 360). "I updated to 3.0 and within a few days my PS3 died. Sony suck! Don't update your firmware!"

Their PS3 was going to die that day anyway, along with all the others that would have died that day. But again, a common thread can be defined by those users and it becomes easy to lay blame at the door of that, rather than just accept the reality of the situation.

Huh? You're asking if the free demo for the game of the year is worth downloading? You have something better do to with your time?

Some of us don't have uncapped downloads like you guys in the states, and there are plenty of other demos with more content I could be downloading instead.

And I doubt it will be game of the year.

5-page post-mortem interview for Batman: Arkham Asylum:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4152/rocksteadys_sefton_hill_unmasks_.php

Can you talk a little bit about the move from your first game, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, to Batman: Arkham Asylum? How did it all come to fruition?

Sefton Hill: We started the company in December of 2004, and started working on Urban Chaos for PS2 and Xbox. That project took just over a year, and after we finished that, we started to work on a number of different prototypes using Unreal Engine 3 for a next-gen game on 360 and PS3. That was the first time we'd used Unreal, and we worked on that for about a year.

Then, Eidos acquired the Batman license because of the deal they had with Warner, and they came to us because they liked the prototype we were working on. They felt that it looked great and played great, and asked if we could bring some of that attention to detail to Batman. They basically approached us and said, "Well, what would you do with Batman?" to come up with ideas for the project. We did a presentation for them, which Eidos looked at and really liked it, and that was how it all started.

Sorry to bump this oldish thread but I just finished playing this on my friends xbox.

Is there an behinds the scenes links that show how they did their texture work in this game? I only ask since I noticed it has some very sharp texture/bump/spec maps on some assets. Much more detail and some of the usual current console games.

Was it simply high res textures or clever repeatable UV maps or use of procedural textures also?

Some of the spec maps had a procedural look to them... e.g. Batsuit, vents, some floors etc...

Cheers.

Started this game last weekend. Love it. It took me a bit to get into it but now I'm close to the end (going to Croc's lair) and it's been awesome.

Got the PS3 version and finished it a few days ago, didn't quite solve all of the riddles though. I was currently playing some of the dlc and challenge levels (got to try that joker levels).

Overall fun experience, although it started to get repetitive after a while. By far the best Batman game ever.

Yeah, I've been meaning to do those combat trials, but I don't have the patience for getting high number combos to get over the threshold points. The stealth ones were pretty fun for the most part.

I finally got my hand on the game (second hand market). It's pretty good, I got caught in the game pretty much instantly.

Back