Batman: Arkham Knight [PS4,XO]

I agree that the tank battles are a little out of place, and lacking. The batmobile is fun in other areas, just racing around and traversing parts of the city. No idea how many gadgets it gets.

The additions to the combat and takedown mechanics are pretty good. It plays very well. Basically an improved version of the last one, rather than a really big departure.

The city is not as big as I thought it would be.

The graphics are pretty nice. I like the art style a lot better than the previous ones, and the detail on Batman's armour and the Batmobile are fantastic. The city looks good.

Can't really comment on much else until I play more. The story is probably a slow build and I've only done about 3 story missions.

Is this the point where I need to drop out of this thread for fear of spoilers? I still didn't get the game yet. Life priorities. :(

Tommy McClain

Is this the point where I need to drop out of this thread for fear of spoilers? I still didn't get the game yet. Life priorities. :(
Nah, people will use spoiler tags. I didn't get a chance to play yesterday. By the time i'd installed the 48Gb game from Blu-ray, download the 3.5Gb patch and 1.5Gb of DLC I was well into the Witcher 3 again which I can not believe still has not ended, story-wise.

Well I got the game today. Now I have to wait ~18hrs for the update to download. Thank goodness for broadband <lol>!

Ploughed another five hours into Witcher 3 but I think I'm at the penultimate quest so I should be able to start Batman tomorrow.

I finished Witcher 3 and started Batman. I played for a couple if hours, mostly just messing around, and really like it so far. Just tackling street punks makes you feel really powerful.

I've played a few hours now and it is one good looking game. Play wise it's fun but very confusing sometimes, it's never very clear about what you're supposed to do next. But then I found that with the first one too so maybe it's just a design choice I don't gel with. I'm also not getting on very well with the Batmobile, it's just not that much fun to drive (handling especially) and I am dreading the inevitable 'it's there so we're going to force you to use it' racing sections. But on foot and beating down goons is very satisfying.

Just finished it.

Amazing game. I really liked the main story, the way Batman is now much better flyer, and even batmobile sections were fun. I mostly mainlined the central story, so there is still much of the stuff left for me to do.

I still don't like the combat and the many devices are a bit confusing, especially swapping via the wheel. I like the car and the gliding.

I've played a few hours now and it is one good looking game. Play wise it's fun but very confusing sometimes, it's never very clear about what you're supposed to do next.
This. I sunk about six hours into Arkham Knight today and enjoyed most of it but sometimes it's not clear what you're supposed to be doing. Waypoints can be too elusive and the things you need to interact with are often more prominent enough.

That said I've had a blast so far and the city looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. When you climb to the top of Wayne Tower you can see almost all of the city and the amount of detail is incredible. I wish there was less emphasis on the Batmobile though, it just doesn't handle well for me.

This. I sunk about six hours into Arkham Knight today and enjoyed most of it but sometimes it's not clear what you're supposed to be doing. Waypoints can be too elusive and the things you need to interact with are often more prominent enough.

I felt the same way about Arkham City.

As Shia Labeouf would say... "JUST DO IT!"

LOL

Can't wait to play. If I can finally sell my sell 7 game Halo collection on eBay I will finally have enough money to buy this.

Tommy McClain

You know, on day one, I played a bit and then put the game down for a couple of days. I thought to myself, "I guess my gaming days are over." Then the weekend game, and one hour turned into five hours. The addiction is real. This game is great. Easily the best in the series. They took all of the best parts, improved them, and then added the Batmobile, team fights, a huge city without loadings screens and seamless transitions into cutscenes. The graphics are fantastic, the control is great, the story and voice acting might be the best of the series. So far, very happy with the game.

So many Superman references around. I hope Rocksteady is working on a Superman game. I would love to play that.

I still don't like the combat and the many devices are a bit confusing, especially swapping via the wheel. I like the car and the gliding.

You can use the quickfire even when not in combat to switch between gadgets, it helps IMO.
The gadget whee lMO is an improvement over selecting gadgets using the d-pad, I always had problems to select gadgets that where assigned to the diagonals in the other games.

As for the combat I like what they changed and fixed even thoug they didn't fix the biggest problem I had in the previous titles which is that the game doesn't automatically detect a combat scenario and locks you in.
Monolith fixed that in Shadow of Mordor which resulted in zero combo breaking for me, aside when hit of course.

Last edited:

Nah the games tells you what you need to know, IMO you have been spoiled by the Witcher 3 which is super hand-holding and tells you literally everything you have to do, where to go, what/where to look and you barely have to figure things out by yourself ;)

Nah the games tells you what you need to know, IMO you have been spoiled by the Witcher 3 which is super hand-holding and tells you literally everything you have to do, where to go, what/where to look and you barely have to figure things out by yourself ;)
IMO the Witcher nails it with the amount of help it gives you in actually finding what it is you are looking for. Batman, on the other hand, gives you a vague map location (if it shows up at all) and then absolutely nothing from that point onwards. It'd be nice to at least have some kind of marker on the building you want for instance. It's the same in mission as well. There is no indication of what you are supposed to do next or where you are supposed to go. Obscuring the objective in order to make you spend time hunting for a solution amongst a myriad of options is great if you have the time but just very frustrating if you don't. And once it gets frustrating I kind of lose interest. It's just a game design decision that doesn't fit with me I guess.

IMO the Witcher nails it with the amount of help it gives you in actually finding what it is you are looking for. Batman, on the other hand, gives you a vague map location (if it shows up at all) and then absolutely nothing from that point onwards. It'd be nice to at least have some kind of marker on the building you want for instance. It's the same in mission as well. There is no indication of what you are supposed to do next or where you are supposed to go. Obscuring the objective in order to make you spend time hunting for a solution amongst a myriad of options is great if you have the time but just very frustrating if you don't. And once it gets frustrating I kind of lose interest. It's just a game design decision that doesn't fit with me I guess.
Quote an interesting thing I would like to try, coming from my experience of GTA or Ubi open world games where you do a lot of following markers on a map with little sense of exploration. Good to know.

Does anybody know how you save a game? I always end up having to do the same thing again each time I reload. I know it tells you that 'You last saved your game X minutes ago' but I haven't ever seen an option to actually manually save the game. Or is just on auto?

Back