Batman: Arkham City

plus the consolitis evidenced in health regen, lack of vertical gameplay, slow enemy reaction times and movement speeds which culminates in lower difficulty. Using a mouse on those games is like God mode.

Most of those are not because of the consoles' popularity alone, There are more causes for some of the modern design trends other than games being designed around twiddlesticks, especially the prevalence of RH. You are right about the verticality though, but it's also true to some extent for the PC side. It's not like you can have, say, conc. jumping like in TFC or Tribes' mid-air disc launcher shots while flying 300km/h in every multiplayer FPS designed for PC.

I have the steam voucher for this game that came with my gtx580 and I just bought Arkham Asylum from Steam sale for 10 and it looks like I´m going to enjoy this game and the newer one when it comes out... Even in Arkham Asylum there seems to be some cool Physx effects like the moving smoke effect.

nvidiaperformance.png

What to expect from GPU PhysX in Batman: Arkham City ?

no msaa :(

bac86idt6.jpg

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2239990

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the AA options includes MSAA? Seems pretty odd considering DX11.

And they had it for the last game in DX9... is that developer apathy I smell? I mean they literally already had it working and the performance hit was very small.

well GeForce.com says there will be csaa..

Along with the usual variety of PC enhancements, such as higher-resolution textures, more detailed models and higher screen resolutions, Batman: Arkham City also makes use of NVIDIA’s Coverage Sampling Anti-Aliasing technology to improve image quality by smoothing-out jagged lines to a superior degree than standard Multisample Anti-Aliasing is capable of without introducing a large performance hit.

So the game supports MSAA?

MSAA (2x/4x/8x) along with FXAA is supported as well as nvidia's CSAA.. Dx11 performance is crap though..

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
GPUs: 2x AMD 6950s @ 900/1350

DX9
- 2048x1152 - 8xMSAA - Everything maxed - Physx off
4M3oh.jpg

DX11 - 2048x1152 - 8xMSAA - Tessellation Normal - Everything maxed - Physx off
v5x4E.jpg
My AMD card(6950) in DX9 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-ufdsk.jpg

in DX11 with 8xMSAA enabled.

batmanac.exe_2011-11-rtc16.jpg
Specs:
2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 GB of RAM
Vertex 2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 570 @ 900/2050 (285.79 drivers)

Settings: Max everything, DirectX 11, 8x MSAA, Physx OFF, Vsync off

Minimum: 0
Average: 38
Maximum: 58
running i5 760 @ 3.8ghz
8gig ram
2 regular gtx560 1gig cards (1 dedicated to physx = High)

1080p/DX11
everything set to max except Tesselation is normal, and using FXAA (currently on medium, tried it on high and it didn't seem much different at all)

min fps = 1
max fps = 60 - vsync'd
average is 35

I wonder what kind of AA will run well with stereoscopic 3dtv play and physx on with a single GTX580 in 720p. It should be a little bit faster than 2d 1080p, right? (Because 2x1280x720 < 1920x1080)

Arstechnica on Batman: Arkham City pc version:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-the-version-gotham-needs-and-you-deserve.ars

Our testing rig is a beast, so I max out every available feature on every PC game I test and go from there. I also enabled the 3D effects, because they were an obvious selling point for NVIDIA. This was one of the first games that crushed our system like a can; I was pulling around 20 frames per second at 1920x1080 resolution, with all the DirectX 11 and PhysX options turned all the way up. Clearly, things needed to be adjusted.

Let's put it this way: if you've ever been interested in buying 3D equipment, or if you just picked up a 3D-capable monitor, I would start with this game.

I´ll spoil it no more. Looks like gtx580 isn´t enough for this game though :( Maybe with driver update magic.

Back