5. Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst
  6. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End**
  7. NBA 2K16
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  9. Destiny: The Taken King
  10. Minecraft**
  • *No Battle.net sales
    **No digital sales

So evidently now NPD ranks by revenue (yet Minecraft stayed!). And they no longer give platform rankings either. So, even less info.

Edit: Minecraft must be even more impressive if they're not including digital. I would assume the majority of that titles sales are digital.

I do like that they're apparently, if I understand correctly, ranking digital+retail vs just retail for titles whose publisher wont give them digital data...this should pressure those companies to give it or make their games look like they sold worse. For example, if Doom might have been 2nd if digital were included.

I'm guessing sales were just AWFULLLL this month, at least at retail, shown by Minecraft placing. Slow month plus down YoY all over.

- This is a revenue ranking. Previous threads were unit rankings.
- “Poor comparisons for new launches were a major reason for the software sales decline seen this June,” said Callahan. “June 2016 launches decreased 67 percent, translating to 1.8 million fewer units, and nearly $114 million fewer dollars.”
- “Specifically, the top new launch of June 2015 was Batman: Arkham Knight, which sold over five times the amount of unit and dollar sales generated by the top June 2016 new launch, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” said Callahan.
- “May 2016 launches sold 84 percent more in June compared to May 2015 launches last June, when looking at dollar sales. April launches fared poorly due to a comparison to the performance of April 2015 launches like Mortal Kombat X with a drop of 70 percent in June sales.”

Oh and PS4 #1 platform. When did all the XBO discounts to clear out for Xbox S? start? Middle of June? Had to have been right after E3 right?

Last edited:
Wow, no digital sales and Minecraft is still in the top 10.

It's a shame that now once they have some digital sales figured in they place new limits on what information they release.

Xbox One discounts never stop so it's a bit difficult to pin down exactly when a promotion starts.

Ehh, they were nothing, maybe normal price + a 50 GC or something, like they have been after S announcement.

I've seen brand new Xbox Ones with Kinect as low as $215. I cant remember all the other deals but lots of ridiculous ones. Just checked for deals on Amazon and see 1TB XBO+Rare Replay+Ori+Gears UE for 284...and that's just a ho hum. I think there was a similar deal plus a $50 Amazon GC and maybe even an extra controller on top of it recently.

So so far: Old model XBO discounts didn't win June. Gets one more try in July.

S gets it's first try in August. Judging by Amazon pre order sales it should win the month, but we will see, plus only the 399 version officially has a date yet which I suppose could nerf August S sales.

Wow, no digital sales and Minecraft is still in the top 10.

Not too mention everybody said Minecraft would drop out of the top 10 anyway once they ranked by revenue since it's like $15. So this is like two hands tied behind it's back and still placed. OTOH the fact it placed makes me think software sales must be really pathetic!

Not sure why the title was "professionalized" given several already goofy titles in the forum (like
PS4K NEO Speculation (Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)
) but whatever :)!

Hopefully Aqua continues her tradition of leaking good hardware numbers this month.

Last edited:
It's going to be even more important to start including Digital as at least one publisher is over 50% for digital for full game revenue (not including DLC, subscriptions, micro-transactions, etc) on console. And that's even before PC is factored in.

Regards,
SB

Aqua posted this

Total Hardware Revenue: $181.5 million

Granular Hardware Revenue:

PS4: $82.63 million

XBO: $63.23 million

WIU: $10.22 million

360: $2.69 million

PS3: $1.73 million

=

Total for 5 platforms: $160.505 million

Ergo...

Total hardware revenue for 3DS + Vita + Wii (assume 0) = $21 million

Total Full-Game Console Software Revenue (Physical Only): $240.0 million

Total Full-Game Console Software Revenue (Physical + Digital from Participating Publishers): $322.0 million

Total Full-Game Console Software Revenue (Digital Only from Participating Publishers): $78.0 million (24.2% of the total)

I would have thought XBO could have won the units race based on a (presumably) much lower ASP, regardless perhaps it's close then. If we take PS4 price as 349 and XBO as 299, that's PS4=116%. The revenue was around 130%. But I'd expect XBO averaged less than 299.

Regardless even if their price was the same then PS4 should have won by just 30% according to revenue, so it'll probably be very close.

Every month I think "I must be the last person on earth who hasn't purchased this game" and every month I'm amazed by its sales. Is the online portion that good?
I bought it from Steam last month having already bought it for PS3 and PS4.

I guess hardware sales were posted by Aqua and I didn't even notice it?

PS4 234.5k
XBO 211.9k
Wii U 34.6k
360 15.9k
PS3 8.2k

Everybody down pretty big YoY in hardware from June 15. Industry continues to struggle.

Not horrible for PS4/XBO, but I guess a 5 week month helped. That's in the high 100's in a 4 week month.

The numbers have not been yet posted in the GAF NPD thread at all. I am wondering if the mods maybe banned mention of Aqua/Chartz there being the reason?

BTW, here's June 2007, for people like Shortbread who dont see the problem with these numbers

June 07
DS 561,000
Wii 381,780
PSP 290,100
PS2 270,760
360 198,440
GBA 113,870
PS3 98,470

And I'm sure I could have picked better months, I just noticed that one at random.

Aqua didn't give DS this month but I believe it was outed as "over 100k". PS Vita should be about nonexistent.

About ~2 million total hardware in June 07 vs about ~600k in June 16? Even granted the total destruction of the handheld market. And we cant blame this on digital.

Yet still, XBO and especially PS4 are still overall very fast sellers. So there's many ways to slice this cake. Still, I cant imagine they aren't losing ground pretty fast in generation comparisons right now.

Last edited:
Everybody down pretty big YoY in hardware from June 15. Industry continues to struggle.

The anticipation of new hardware has likely led to some people pausing on purchasing a PS4/XBO. That and the fact that it's summer, which is a predictable seasonal slow period and has been for 30 years.

BTW, here's June 2007, for people like Shortbread who dont see the problem with these numbers

I'm not sure what you're looking at here? PlayStation and Xbox numbers are up, mobile platforms are down. Hardly surprising compared to 2007 when Android and iOS weren't a thing. And again, it's summer. Sometimes you get cracking games that will drive summer sales like the Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight in late May last year. This year? Not so much.

Yet still, XBO and especially PS4 are still overall very fast sellers.
How do you reconcile "industry continues to struggle" and 'the consoles are fast sellers' ? :???:

I guess hardware sales were posted by Aqua and I didn't even notice it?
PS4 234.5k
XBO 211.9k
Wii U 34.6k
360 15.9k
PS3 8.2k
The numbers have not been yet posted in the GAF NPD thread at all. I am wondering if the mods maybe banned mention of Aqua/Chartz there being the reason?
Aqua numbers were posted in that another(now old) gaf npd topic. It remains to be seen if hardware numbers are revealed in a future at all even by Aquamarine. Aqua does not write in gaf, I don't know a forum numbers were copied from.

Back