Baldur's Gate III announced!

Bg2 is one of my fav game of all time but Im not so excited with bg3 made by Larian studio, I just didnt like their turn base system in divinity.
Well then we cannot be friends.

Seriously though, I think DOS1+2 have some of the best turn based combat ever. It's not perfect, but with the level of depth and interactions they've developed, along with the handcrafted encounters, it really is just so amazingly fun.

These 'requirements' are not anything these devs actually rigorously test. They are basically always just rough guesses, and never accurate.

Also, they don't have to have split screen multiplayer work on those minimum specs, if that's the issue on XSS.

These 'requirements' are not anything these devs actually rigorously test. They are basically always just rough guesses, and never accurate.

I doubt they are rough guesses. I am sure they tested with equipment and either moved backwards in time for hardware until performance was an issue or forward . It's bad marketing if the game doesn't run on those specs.

People defend the S because it's very defensible. It's a nice console. Devs seems to be able to accommodate dozens of "SKUs" on PC, but can't seem to find the time to code for two Xbox. Of course it has nothing to do with how powerful the S is and everything to do with other considerations like lead console, marketing etc... even though some people can't accept the obviousness of that argument. Oddly enough it's the same people that hate the S. :)

People defend the S because it's very defensible. It's a nice console. Devs seems to be able to accommodate dozens of "SKUs" on PC, but can't seem to find the time to code for two Xbox. Of course it has nothing to do with how powerful the S is and everything to do with other considerations like lead console, marketing etc... even though some people can't accept the obviousness of that argument. Oddly enough it's the same people that hate the S. :)
Technical limitations of the Series S is the entire reason this wont release on Xbox for a good while yet. It's not defensible because it's literal reality. It's not about 'cant seem to find the time to code for' a platform. The RAM limitation is so very obviously causing problems even with plenty of effort put into it. It's absolutely causing them big problem. This is not some incompetent team and they've been talking and working on this issue for quite a while now.

Anyways, I just wanted to raise this topic again cuz the game is out now and it's doing crazy numbers and everybody seems to be loving it. It's a huge moment for CRPG's of this ilk.

Technical limitations of the Series S is the entire reason this wont release on Xbox for a good while yet. It's not defensible because it's literal reality. It's not about 'cant seem to find the time to code for' a platform. The RAM limitation is so very obviously causing problems even with plenty of effort put into it. It's absolutely causing them big problem. This is not some incompetent team and they've been talking and working on this issue for quite a while now.

Anyways, I just wanted to raise this topic again cuz the game is out now and it's doing crazy numbers and everybody seems to be loving it. It's a huge moment for CRPG's of this ilk.

Yup for a game that will happily run on a PC with less RAM than the XBS-S, RAM is definitely the limiting factor. :p

Regards,
SB

Yup for a game that will happily run on a PC with less RAM than the XBS-S, RAM is definitely the limiting factor. :p

Regards,
SB
Maybe you've not been caught up, but the point isn't that the game cant run on Series S. It's that Series S cant run the game in its untethered split-screen local coop. Which isn't surprising. That is indeed a RAM-heavy sort of feature.

That is literally what the problem is. It's not a joke, that is what is going on.

The only thing I know, is that this is the first game that has me on sleep deprivation on a work week in years.
Bought the early access on Monday, and got hooked immediately.
Started getting my sleep time shorter there at the beginning of the week.
I've slept two hours yesterday because I couldn't stop playing.
Went to work, came back, and now it is 04:00 in the morning, and I still haven't gone to sleep yet...
I don't think I've had a week like this, (playing a game till the morning every day), for at least 20 years. :)
Maybe it's nostalgic regression to (good :p ) habits I guess.

I’d rather just wait until the game comes out. We still don’t know how much (if at all) the other consoles are held back relative to the PC version or if the S will even lack any features at release. They’ve only said that it takes more work which isn’t too surprising for a lower memory system.

Besides, it’s not like the X version cannot benefit from optimizations made for the S version. Especially if it’s memory bound on the bigger consoles in its current form.

I’d rather just wait until the game comes out. We still don’t know how much (if at all) the other consoles are held back relative to the PC version or if the S will even lack any features at release. They’ve only said that it takes more work which isn’t too surprising for a lower memory system.

Besides, it’s not like the X version cannot benefit from optimizations made for the S version. Especially if it’s memory bound on the bigger consoles in its current form.
we just have to see if pc has a co-op mode at all and what level of hardware is rquired to run it. Or we all just wait till next year when it magically runs on series s

Is this the actual situation? A quick check of Baldur's Gate III Steam PC requirements shows it requires a minimum of 8Gb main RAM and a minimum of 4Gb VRAM, so 12Gb overall. Series S has 10Gb but some will be reserved. The Series X this with 16GB and has 13.5Gb available to games, so assuming a slightly lower overhead (just because lets be optimistic) for Series S, it's probably only has 8-9Gb available to games at most.

8-9 vs 14Gb feels like difference that you can't over brush aside, even allowing for a more efficient game build on unified memory architecture console.

Is this the actual situation? A quick check of Baldur's Gate III Steam PC requirements shows it requires a minimum of 8Gb main RAM and a minimum of 4Gb VRAM, so 12Gb overall. Series S has 10Gb but some will be reserved. The Series X this with 16GB and has 13.5Gb available to games, so assuming a slightly lower overhead (just because lets be optimistic) for Series S, it's probably only has 8-9Gb available to games at most.

8-9 vs 14Gb feels like difference that you can't over brush aside, even allowing for a more efficient game build on unified memory architecture console.

Windows 11 requires a minimum of 4gigs of ram. How much does it use in practice without any other things running in the background. Just a fresh install of windows? Well I guess windows + steam

We might be getting much closer in ram amounts in actual usage.

But we don't know if the pc has co-op. They claim the steam deck has it disabled because no one would use it on a tiny screen which makes little sense

however there is a work around

The developers seem to be getting their foot stuck in their mouth a lot. Because of that I think this whole xbox series s thing just got away from them in the press and its really just them not having the time /budget/ skills to get it working in time for launch.

I can’t believe after all these years. The Baldurs Gate franchise has made it to the front of the pack. It says a lot about the way publishers and developers need to rethink the way they fund titles.

Really happy for all the success this title has, can’t wait to get started

this game is kinda making history because it is a CRPG, a genre not many people usually played. Oddly enough I don't have the game yet Divinity Original Sin series is one of my favourite series in videogames. Lots of people who had never played Divinity Original Sin -highly recommended game- are getting to know the genre thanks to this game. kudos to Larian, they are getting the praise they deserve

1691344046642.png

Here is co-op on the steam deck running at 30fps

Apparently the same way to get it to work on the deck also forces it on with other configurations. Anyone have a machince with less than 10 gigs of ram that wants to try it?

Apparently the same way to get it to work on the deck also forces it on with other configurations. Anyone have a machince with less than 10 gigs of ram that wants to try it?
The 10 GB is for RAM + VRAM, so I'm not sure how you would do a fair comparison. (Technically the S only has a 2GB pool of "slow RAM" intended for storing the game logic)

Back