Baldur's Gate III announced!

This is unlikely to be the culprit here. Even XBO is capable of running Halo Infinite in split screen with its 6GB of available memory.
And if it were VRAM this wouldn’t affect Series X in this case, and the base specs for This title is fairly below Next Gen, which the recommended spec is 8GB VRAM.

I largely suspect there are viewport challenges here and how Xbox series consoles handle split screen or the tools around it vary significantly from what they expect. The only reason I’m hinting at this is because 343i can get split screen to work on Xbox, but failed to ultimately finish it due to PC. The reverse and they were working on split screen for years.

Regardless of what the issue is, there are a great deal of many challenges when it comes to split screen, and typically the challenges aren’t being memory bound. The reality is, split screen is tough to pull off and in the case of baldurs gate 3, tacking it on, is likely the reason why development has not progressed well here.

It may be a convenient excuse here to stagger releases because quite frankly they have been developing this one forever and the pre-release money has dried out and there is no time here to work on Xbox and they would rather get the game released and come back and focus on Xbox after.
You mean the mode they never released officially because there were technical issues? Anyways apple vs oranges as Halo Infinite != Baldur's Gate 3

No, jez actually deleted tweets of himself being conspiratorial about larian making secret deals to Sony and selling out and such. He even deleted a post that was screencapped implying he had secret knowledge about a secret Sony and larian deal in response to Larian initially saying there was no deal which I will link.
Not going to get into the ABK thing as that's a whole another can of worms.
Obviously a stupid tweet hence why he deleted it.

But I still think the blame lays more with the company and their responses.
Unlike a lot of the time, it's easy to see given the information why people came to the conclusions they did. Wasn't wild random crap.
Same with the Redfall empty disk case that's not actually empty.

Hell they've got people having philosophical discussions on the meaning of the word delay 😂

You mean the mode they never released officially because there were technical issues? Anyways apple vs oranges as Halo Infinite != Baldur's Gate 3
Was there technical issues?
I thought the line from them was they didn't want to spend the resources on it, given everything else that needed to be worked on.
From all accounts it seemed to work pretty well on XSS.

Was there technical issues?
I thought the line from them was they didn't want to spend the resources on it, given everything else that needed to be worked on.
From all accounts it seemed to work pretty well on XSS.

There were some bugs exposed only in split-screen that could be quite troublesome like game save corruptions or game crashes level of trouble from what I can recall.

There were some bugs exposed only in split-screen that could be quite troublesome like game save corruptions or game crashes level of trouble from what I can recall.
But that was on the XSX as well, from what I remember.
But yeah my wording could have been better.
More so that I believe they didn't want to commit resources to polish it up when they had other priorities, not that there wasn't any bugs.
And the majority of bugs didn't seem to be specifically related to XSS.

Not going to get into the ABK thing as that's a whole another can of worms.
Obviously a stupid tweet hence why he deleted it.

But I still think the blame lays more with the company and their responses.
Unlike a lot of the time, it's easy to see given the information why people came to the conclusions they did. Wasn't wild random crap.
Same with the Redfall empty disk case that's not actually empty.

Hell they've got people having philosophical discussions on the meaning of the word delay 😂
People should actually wait for official confirmation of anything before flying off the handle and embarrassing themselves. That comes before "devs should be cleared". Not every dev should have to be mindful of their wording to account for rabid person online or fanboys posing as journalists who will obfuscate situations and lie

Yea. That mode. Nxgamer shows it running on XBO.

Just because it’s not done, doesn’t imply there was a memory issue. Split screen really is a can of worms.

The official statement on why it was cancelled came down to just unsure if there was an end in sight.

—-
Something that Baron points to as an issue outside the technological ones is the certification Halo Infinite would need to run local co-op for all the platforms that the game is available on which would present their own challenges as well.

While abilities like the Thruster and Drop Wall have been included in previous Halo titles, other Halo Infinitefeatures like the Grappleshot may have also created some of the campaign glitches that 343 Industries kept running into during local co-op development.
—-
I want to note, the technological issues, vram didn’t come up, or it should have for Xbox one.

If all there is, is a lack of memory, just reduce resolution.

Yea. That mode. Nxgamer shows it running on XBO.

Just because it’s not done, doesn’t imply there was a memory issue. Split screen really is a can of worms.

The official statement on why it was cancelled came down to just unsure if there was an end in sight.

—-
Something that Baron points to as an issue outside the technological ones is the certification Halo Infinite would need to run local co-op for all the platforms that the game is available on which would present their own challenges as well.

While abilities like the Thruster and Drop Wall have been included in previous Halo titles, other Halo Infinitefeatures like the Grappleshot may have also created some of the campaign glitches that 343 Industries kept running into during local co-op development.
—-
I want to note, the technological issues, vram didn’t come up, or it should have for Xbox one.

Occam really needs to put a leather strap to that blade of his. It might save you some work.

Baldur's gate is not Halo infinite. Halo infinite is a game typically pushing graphics (that can be easily downscaled) while Baldur's gate 3 might well push more the CPU and logic side, which is much less downscalable (if that's even a word :unsure:).

Baldur's gate is not Halo infinite. Halo infinite is a game typically pushing graphics (that can be easily downscaled) while Baldur's gate 3 might well push more the CPU and logic side, which is much less downscalable (if that's even a word :unsure:).
On series S the 10GB is split into 2 and 8. The 2 holds the OS. The 8 will hold everything else. Even if the cpu is a larger amount, the biggest culprit of bandwidth starvation would be the GPU as it’s called to render twice.

Which states no reason other than challenges. The rest you’ve filled yourself..

You still don’t know why, but are positive why not. How?
There’s no indication of vram as being the culprit.
PC specs for this title:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 150 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)

I’m not seeing any indication of VRAM in particular being the challenge that split screen can’t work in that tweet and jumping to vram limitations as the reason it’s not ready doesn’t make a lot of sense. Xbox was never announced as a platform for this game at launch and until recently.

I think you’d have a stronger argument if BG3 was announced with Xbox support and then it releases after all other platforms.

I’m not ruling out vram limitations, but among millions of possible issues I wouldn’t bet on it.

Where does that 2:1ratio come from? I thought XBS was selling much closer to PS5.

Yup, but I believe some fair assumptions is that during the announcement of the game back in 2019, before next gen was released, and Larian has been entirely non-committed to any platform but PC during the Early access days. They largely back then seen the landscape of things from 2019 POV.

It was announced for State of Play just a few days ago before all this came to light, which means in order to be on state of play, and to announce for PS5, there must have been a point in time in which there was a commitment to deliver it for the platform. Sometime between 2019 to well before 2023, as it releases this August, the PS5 version has been in full swing development.

The Xbox version still has not been announced in an official manner, which suggests that the platform still remains uncommitted to release despite what the tweets imply here. If Xbox is not announced as a platform from now to release date, and if BG3 craters upon release in August, there may be no xbox variant released if they choose to push resources elsewhere - it is one of the advantages of being non-committed to release. You can change plans if necessary without any public facing backlash.

I'm not seeing this as a technical challenge here, at least, not in the sense that they are wrestling hardware down as we are suggesting here. IMO, they just don't have the resources to release the game on PC and PS5 and Xbox simultaneously in a fashion in which all three versions would be polished. The last time Larian made an announcement for DOS2; it was April of 2018 releasing for August of 2018 for both platforms, a full year after PC was released.

But I think Sony wanted to move their own release date up to release in conjunction with PC. Thus we are in the situation we are in today. If history is to be repeated, I suspect BG3 was not slated for consoles until next year August. Sony moved things up, and there's just not enough there for them to just push the Xbox platform to release as well.

And the reason I think Sony moved things up - well it's in the state of play.

From wikipedia:
Divinity: Original Sin II is a role-playing video game developed and published by Larian Studios.
The sequel to 2014's Divinity: Original Sin, it was released for Windows in September 2017,
for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in August 2018,
for macOS in January 2019,
Nintendo Switch in September 2019,
and iPadOS in May 2021.

You can see a pattern of staggering releases here. Same Larian engine for BG3.

Last edited:
There’s no indication of vram as being the culprit.
PC specs for this title:
  • MINIMUM:
    • Processor: Intel I5 4690 / AMD FX 8350
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 970 / RX 480 (4GB+ of VRAM)
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i7 8700K / AMD r5 3600
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia 2060 Super / RX 5700 XT (8GB+ of VRAM)

I’m not seeing any indication of VRAM in particular being the challenge that split screen can’t work in that tweet and jumping to vram limitations as the reason it’s not ready doesn’t make a lot of sense. Xbox was never announced as a platform for this game at launch and until recently.

I think you’d have a stronger argument if BG3 was announced with Xbox support and then it releases after all other platforms.

I’m not ruling out vram limitations, but among millions of possible issues I wouldn’t bet on it.
- Here I am reading the minimum specs on PC are 12GB total ram. But then XSS has only 10GB (and like a PC has an OS too). So technically XSS specs are even lower than the min PC specs. It's not vram limitations. It's main ram (making sense for this kind of game + splitscreen) + vram.

- You can eventually always make it work, like in all those Switch ports, problem is do you think people (or devs) will be happy if they get a game looking like an "impossible" Switch port on their next-gen machine ? For reference this is Wild Hearts successfully "running" on XSS:

G2dnYJc.jpg

You can eventually always make it work, like in all those Switch ports, problem is do you think people (or devs) will be happy if they get a game looking like an "impossible" Switch port on their next-gen machine ? For reference this is Wild Hearts successfully "running" on XSS:

Your post reads like someone only using "Life of Black Tiger" in an attempt to show what the PS4/4Pro was capable of. There are higher quality games for XSS that show what it's really capable of.

Yup, but I believe some fair assumptions is that during the announcement of the game back in 2019, before next gen was released, and Larian has been entirely non-committed to any platform but PC during the Early access days. They largely back then seen the landscape of things from 2019 POV.

It was announced for State of Play just a few days ago before all this came to light, which means in order to be on state of play, and to announce for PS5, there must have been a point in time in which there was a commitment to deliver it for the platform. Sometime between 2019 to well before 2023, as it releases this August, the PS5 version has been in full swing development.

The Xbox version still has not been announced in an official manner, which suggests that the platform still remains uncommitted to release despite what the tweets imply here. If Xbox is not announced as a platform from now to release date, and if BG3 craters upon release in August, there may be no xbox variant released if they choose to push resources elsewhere - it is one of the advantages of being non-committed to release. You can change plans if necessary without any public facing backlash.

I'm not seeing this as a technical challenge here, at least, not in the sense that they are wrestling hardware down as we are suggesting here. IMO, they just don't have the resources to release the game on PC and PS5 and Xbox simultaneously in a fashion in which all three versions would be polished. The last time Larian made an announcement for DOS2; it was April of 2018 releasing for August of 2018 for both platforms, a full year after PC was released.

But I think Sony wanted to move their own release date up to release in conjunction with PC. Thus we are in the situation we are in today. If history is to be repeated, I suspect BG3 was not slated for consoles until next year August. Sony moved things up, and there's just not enough there for them to just push the Xbox platform to release as well.

And the reason I think Sony moved things up - well it's in the state of play.

From wikipedia:
Divinity: Original Sin II is a role-playing video game developed and published by Larian Studios.
The sequel to 2014's Divinity: Original Sin, it was released for Windows in September 2017,
for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in August 2018,
for macOS in January 2019,
Nintendo Switch in September 2019,
and iPadOS in May 2021.

You can see a pattern of staggering releases here. Same Larian engine for BG3.
So, Sony just told them to push up the release and they just jumped to it.

With every response you add a new twist that has no relevance to the matter in question, no basis in anything.

It's just ever increasingly apparent that Sony consoles get more attention than their Xbox/PC counterparts. They get exclusivity deals, they get marketing, they get preference. I think MS needs to kick things into high gear if they can and start making improvements to APIs and tools at a faster rate, as well as maybe start putting up money in some cases to ensure that Xbox versions get the time/attention they should.

So, Sony just told them to push up the release and they just jumped to it.

With every response you add a new twist that has no relevance to the matter in question, no basis in anything.
You can sign agreements for this to happen. This isn’t some sort of conspiracy here. The text reads vague enough to imply this.

The Xbox title is not delayed. But it’s also not releasing at the same time as PS5.

If Xbox was meant to release day and date of PS5 and it doesn’t, then it’s delayed. If it’s actually due date for Xbox is next year, then it’s on track, and not delayed. But not on track to release when PS5 is slated to.

And if it releases day and date as PS5 then all of this was just pointless posturing and a poor tweet from a developer. Because it’s nothing more than a marketing deal to announce BG3 now for PS5 for the state of play.

None of it is still relevant to a vram limitation.

Last edited:
Back