Which bit torrent client do you use?

• Azureus

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • uTorrent

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 8.8%

• Total voters
They also didn't want customers running heavy servers, or sending loads of expensive external bandwidth to screw up their peering agreements.

I think that this is the primary reason these days, it's to differentiate domestic broadband from a business service, and to try to stop businesses getting a web presence on the cheap, or private individuals setting themselves up as mini-ISPs using their ISPs infra-structure without paying the geld.

It's not so much half the capacity, you just need to reserve enough upload bandwidth to send enough ACK(nowledgement) packets so as not to choke your downstream. How much that is completely depends on what your downstream is and how many peers you are trying to deal with. You only need about 6kb reserved on the upload to keep every 1 mbit downloading at full stream, unless you are trying to download from an insane number of peers all at once.

Where most people make a mistake is they have no limits at all on their upload, so it becomes saturated with data, and download ACKs then have to fight for bandwidth. The other peers end up waiting for your slow ACKs, and your download gets choked.
Yes, I know. But if you want to calculate the amount needed, you also need to take the amount of connections and the amount of "bookkeeping" communication needed into account. Slow connections use smaller packets than fast lines, and so send more ACK packets. Etc. And you still want enough left over for browsing, which is also a variable amount (ie. YouTube uses more bandwidth than this forum).

So, simply recommending "less than half" is easier, and generally works. ;)

My max upload before it starts crapping out is about 45KBps, so if I cap it at around 38KBps I get maximum download and upload on my connection. UTorrent has a feature which will set a different cap if you are not downloading so you can max it out completely at that time. Thats with a 386 up/ 4096 down connection (that bits not bytes).

Oft is the cry of the leech "Well, I don't have a big upload so I don't need to bother" which really is the wrong attitude to have to P2P. Some kind soul(s) donated their upload to you and got you a whole copy of whatever it is you've got. So make sure you give it back and aim for that magic 1/1 ratio.

Erm.. You imagine what would hppen to a torrent if all users did that. Yup that's right download speed would crash and burn.

Leeching with P2P is selfish and short-sighted. I don't see why you have to limit to such a degree anyway. Any broadband worth its salt got to offer several hundred kilobit/s upstream so you should have lots of headroom there. 5kB is an insult..

Peace.

Well I don't use it for pirated software, mostly old demos that are hard to get, and there are some companies that use bittorrent to share demo software and max plugins.

hehe definilty not a leech I some times download movies just to preview them before I buy ;) but the movies don't stay on my comp for more then a day after the dl is done anyways. I only turned down my upload speeds when I'm uploading files to my server as well.

If you don't limit your upload to at most half the rated capacity, your download starts to slow down and your whole PC starts to get unresponsive.
Nah that sounds way excessive to me.

Whrn I bittorrented I capped UL at 50K on a 768kbit ADSL link but surfing etc was fine even with UL capped at 80K. Above 80 and it got laggy however.

Gaming of course wasn't so great if bittorrent was running. Ping was bad even with low upload rates so I usually put my torrents on hold if I wanted to play shooting games.

Blizzard downloader is horrible though. It regularly steals all UL bandwidth (~100K for me) and makes all other internet communication impossible while it's running. It has downloaded at monstrous rates though even while maxing out UL bandwidth (close to a meg/sec DL speed).
Peace.

If you don't limit your upload to at most half the rated capacity, your download starts to slow down and your whole PC starts to get unresponsive. And forget about browsing. 5kB is a good limit for a line with an 128kb upload limit.

I never encountered that with a set upload limit to 80-85% of my rated uplink capacity.

It also depends on number of connections being made, if the upload isn't high enough and the number of connection are high, you will start getting slow downloads because the number of connections are spreading out the upload bandwidth and browsing will also be slow (connections take much longer)

Rule-o-thumb for me is 75% of my upline during the day, 100% at night.

I share my net access with my wife and two kids, as long as I keep my up at 75% or below no one notices any slowdowns.

Azureus gave a lot of problems with various virus scanners (slowing systems to a crawl.)
And microtorrent just doesn't show these problems.

Bitspirrit before it gave too much problems but I used that one for quite some time.

I switched perhaps 6-9 months ago. I can't believe how few resources it uses while offering me all the functionality and more than what I could ever want to use. I too was tired of the bloat that Azureus is. Even during heavy usage, uTorrent has yet to go above 30 Meg. Now when its running a couple large torrents, its sitting at 24 Meg. When the torrents are finished, it cleans up and drops back down to under 5 Meg. Under the same circumstances, Azureus would sit at 150-160Meg and wouldn't drop down when finished.

Now if only uTorrent made a uNNTP / uUsenet program so I could replace NewsBin Pro or not have to keep restarting it once a day.

I use GrabIt. it's old news and hasn't been updated in a while (to my knowledge -- i don't autoupdate but i check the site every cople of months), but it works and it works cleanly. It's not a full-featured news client -- will read regular posts but doesn't write replies, and lacks most of the features you'd want in a newsreader. But its real strength is in binaries. it's fast, it's not bloated, it'll wait to compile the binaries you've downloaded until there's ample cpu clocks (i often game with it open), and it doesn't give me any headaches with refreshing gimongous groups the way xnews used to. give it a shot!

Gentlemen, it is just as OT, in a poll about torrent clients, to take the conversation into a defense of warez with personal examples as it was for the earlier derailment towards damning all torrenting as warez (gee, I wonder why some people get that incorrect idea? Might it be because every time they see a discussion of torrenting, that discussion seems inevitably to head straight for personal examples of warez and such?). At any rate, the post has been deleted. We don't really care, btw, what the laws are in some country in which your physical body happens to reside; the Sovereign nation of Beyond3D enforces its own laws when you are within its boundaries.

Lastly, someone complained in a report post about the term "leech". Well, it's actually a technical term that has nothing to do with the content that is being downloaded/uploaded. Torrents are a peer-to-peer network, and survive due to a willingness at the macro level for users to upload to other users at least as much as they download themselves. A "leech" is someone who breaks that social contract, and thus threatens the technical viability of the network.

Just to reiterate what Geo's just said, you don't get to ignore the forum rules, whether your country's laws allow you to do something that's off limits in terms of discussion here or not. There's no wiggle room either, except in the very rare circumstances where we explicitly make it crystal clear, in order to facilitate intelligent discussion of a topic we feel needs an airing :smile:

Just curious... what routers are you guys using?

I've got one of those WRT54G v2 routers (using the Thibor + HyperWRT firmware), and we all know how crappy that line of routers is. :p What's a better brand or model?

Since I'm not in the habit of downloading Linux distros every day, the bittorrent client built into Opera 9.x works just fine so I voted "Other".

I use the Motorola WG850, and have no complaints. I had to reset my router every few days when I had my Linksys router.

And utorrent FTW :D. I used to be a firm believer in Azureus, but then I tried utorrent and never went back.

Back