ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Card

martrox

Old Fart
Veteran
Found on V3D:

ATI shot off a press release with information that they have shipped their one millionth DirectX 9 compatible graphics card, based off their new Radeon series. Here's a slice from it:

"We congratulate ATI on shipping one million units. We're pleased to see that all of ATI's DirectX® 9 graphics products, from the RADEON 9500 to the RADEON 9700 PRO, provide the same advanced feature-set," said Mark Rein, Vice President, Epic Games Inc.

ATI's DirectX® 9 rollout was well timed and executed, delivering high-end, mainstream and multimedia products based on the RADEON 9700 and 9500 chips beginning in August 2002, hitting key OEM and retail inflection points. ATI delivered CATALYST(tm), a suite of software including a unified DirectX® 9 driver for its entire range of RADEON products concurrent with Microsoft's release of DirectX® 9 in November 2002

EDIT:Full press release: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=89510#89510

I imagine this refers to ATI branded cards, as opposed to cards sold by others that contained R300 chips.

Wonder how many are stuck in the inventory:)
Being that virtually every major retailer and online distributor was completely sold out for about two solid weeks, ending just a few days ago. I'd say hardly none.

I think the Q1 financials and Market data is going to look a little different than Q4 did.

It may very well be that the OEM design win with the giants MSI/Medion have eaten up inventorys. Speculation I know but very possible.

I think a more plausible reason for R300 "shortages", is that ATI is exercising much tighter inventory control for this particular product, because of the impending RV350 and R-350 launches.

I suspect the R-300 chip is more or less being REPLACED by the RV/R350 across the board for cost cutting reasons. Maybe the R-300 will still be produced for one product line, but I'd have to guess that ATI is purposely cutting R300 chip production down significantly to make room for the new line-up.

ATI doesn't want to be in the position that they found themselves in with the R300 that they did with the R-200...lots of overstock.

Good point Joe. But I believe that ATi is experiencing demand thus creating a shortage that was not forseen. ATi is smart to play it safe with their inventories at this point but if it means that they loose sales that isn't so great. I am willing to wager that this shortfall on the supply end is a result of unexpected demand rather then tight inventory managment. Not that ATi is not worried but rather they were not expecting to run out of inventory they would estimate as accurately as possible to be tight on the inventory but considering the demand for the R300 core ... they would have tryed to balance things rather then short supply themselves IMO.

Sabastian said:
I am willing to wager that this shortfall on the supply end is a result of unexpected demand rather then tight inventory managment.

I'd be more willing to bet that it's actually both. :)

Are the R300 variants really that hard to come by at the moment? (Honest question.) Them seem readinly available on-line...though the pricing trend has been slightly upward in the past couple weeks. (Haven't been in a reatil outlet recently...though I'll be in one or two this afternoon for a completely different reason: shopping for a TV...will check to see if they have R300 boards in stock.)

In other words, pricing shows that there's definitely tilt toward the "higher demand relative to supply" recently, but that does NOT necessarily mean it's not in ATI's favor. In other words, ATI is less interested in unit sold, then thay are in net profit. If selling fewer cards at higher profit means more "net profit", you'll see the pricing adjusted accordingly.

In any case, it will be noteworthy to see how quickly the RV/R350 products become available for purchse, and if ATI does in fact eliminate or significantly reduce R300 chip sales at the same time.

Sorry Joe I don't know exactly how difficult it is to get any varient of the R300 core. But there has been some whom have pointed out that supply on line was lacking. Here is one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=radeon+9700

I have seen others but can't remmember exactly which ones.

I am not so sure that ATi will get rid of the R300 core but rather drop it's pricing. With the introduction of the R350 and RV350 their lineup will be more segmented and inventories of each will have to be closely managed. BTW I can't wait to see just how the R350 performes compared with the NV30 that should be interesting.

Joe DeFuria said:
I think a more plausible reason for R300 "shortages", is that ATI is exercising much tighter inventory control for this particular product, because of the impending RV350 and R-350 launches.

I suspect the R-300 chip is more or less being REPLACED by the RV/R350 across the board for cost cutting reasons. Maybe the R-300 will still be produced for one product line, but I'd have to guess that ATI is purposely cutting R300 chip production down significantly to make room for the new line-up.

ATI doesn't want to be in the position that they found themselves in with the R300 that they did with the R-200...lots of overstock.

I agree, but there's another reason Joe. Better financials.

Better financials being another reason? I don't follow you...everything I said in the above posts is precisely to have better financials.

Whether it's limiting supply to have a better position on the "supply demand" curve (for better financials), or it's limiting supply to make way for the RV/R350 (because they forcast better "financials" with those parts).

Joe DeFuria said:
Sabastian said:
I am willing to wager that this shortfall on the supply end is a result of unexpected demand rather then tight inventory managment.

I'd be more willing to bet that it's actually both. :)

Then we are basically saying the same thing except my perspective is a little more.... optimistic. ;)

I do however have reservations with regards to ATi retireing the R300 core. It makes more sense to keep the core in the market as many are familliar with the product and how good it is. To put it another way the R300 is ATIs greatest achivement to date why would they want to retire it? I am willing to bet that it stays on the market in lower supply while the R350 is injected at a considerably higher price.

If R350 has same architecture and additional features and can be produced with the same yields, why wouldn't they replace the R300?

antlers4 said:
If R350 has same architecture and additional features and can be produced with the same yields, why wouldn't they replace the R300?

I assume that is because the R350 will perform better and so... it is in a different price/performance range.

They are using fully functional R300 ASICs in 9500NPs. I always thought that demand would be so small they'd never run into that problem, but they have and it must be killing them. =\

MuFu.

The R300/350 is a very large piece of silicon, and I'm pretty sure it's fairly expensive. The point is that the R300, as prices drop, is not very cost effective, hence the RV350. I find it hard to see just what advantage there is to KEEP making the R300, IF the costs for a R300 and a R350 are the same.

Did nVidia keep making the GF3 chip series when the GF4 became available?

Trawler said:
Maybe I've completely lost it, but didn't ATI claim they shipped over a million R300s a while ago?

Exactly what I wanna ask... there was some report about 1 million chips shipped, at the time by the end of September or October, wasn't?

T2k said:
Trawler said:
Maybe I've completely lost it, but didn't ATI claim they shipped over a million R300s a while ago?

Exactly what I wanna ask... there was some report about 1 million chips shipped, at the time by the end of September or October, wasn't?

As the thread subject is "ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Card" and not "ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Chip", I think antlers4 was correct, when pointing out that this must be 1000 000 ATi branded cards.

I remember I was impressed last year with how fast ATi got the first million R300 chips out the door..

Kjetil

MuFu said:
They are using fully functional R300 ASICs in 9500NPs. I always thought that demand would be so small they'd never run into that problem, but they have and it must be killing them. =\

MuFu.

too many people trying to soft mod non-pro's? or OEM demand?

Back