ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Card

Randell said:
MuFu said:
They are using fully functional R300 ASICs in 9500NPs. I always thought that demand would be so small they'd never run into that problem, but they have and it must be killing them. =\

MuFu.

too many people trying to soft mod non-pro's? or OEM demand?

The latter (I imagine the number of cards being bought for "Soft9700" purposes is reletively small - less and less now that they've switched PCBs).

The person that told me this was able to confirm it with a board designer and production. Whilst I was suprised, I have no reason to doubt him.

MuFu.

MuFu said:
The latter (I imagine the number of cards being bought for "Soft9700" purposes is reletively small - less and less now that they've switched PCBs).

The person that told me this was able to confirm it with a board designer and production. Whilst I was suprised, I have no reason to doubt him.

MuFu.

I guess that lends a good bit of credence to the "R350 and RV350 replacing R300" rumors. Both are probably better suited for their target markets than using a onesizefitsall method.

Kaizer said:
T2k said:
Trawler said:
Maybe I've completely lost it, but didn't ATI claim they shipped over a million R300s a while ago?

Exactly what I wanna ask... there was some report about 1 million chips shipped, at the time by the end of September or October, wasn't?

As the thread subject is "ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Card" and not "ATI Ships 1 Millionth DX9 Graphics Chip", I think antlers4 was correct, when pointing out that this must be 1000 000 ATi branded cards.

I remember I was impressed last year with how fast ATi got the first million R300 chips out the door..

Kjetil

Hmm... sorry for nit-picking but let see that original press releaase again:

"ATI Ships One Millionth Microsoft® DirectX® 9-class Graphics Product" - yeah, this could be anything, chip, card... even monitor... ;)

"(...)
MARKHAM, ON, — ATI Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: ATYT; TSX: ATY) today reached a remarkable milestone, shipping its one millionth DirectX® 9 compliant cinematic visual processing unit (VPU)."
- here we go! I think it's pretty clear... it's the chip itself not whole card, isn't it?

Kaizer said:
I remember I was impressed last year with how fast ATi got the first million R300 chips out the door..

Kjetil

I'm kind of confused by that...I'd quoted more than once in the last couple of months remarks made at ATI Mojo last October which bluntly stated that ATI had already shipped one million 9700P's--nomenclature used was "9700P", not "R300", which led me to believe that finished cards were the target of those remarks. Apparently, this PR puts a nice coating of egg all over my face....unless someone has a different interpretation.
ATI didn't make the remarks--they were made by an ATI developer in a conference speech--remarks neither questioned, corrected, or denied by ATI at that point or since, even though ATI reps were in attendance at the conference. So.....what's the score????

Here's my take on the two different statements:

Last year they shipped over 1 million 9700P -- remember, for a while there, ATI was producing the boards for OEMs. This was how many boards they produced for OEM consumption.

Now this past pr about them selling over 1 million R300 products -- these are ATI branded video cards [9500/9500P/9700/9700P] sold into retail channel.

I dont see anything contradictory between the two statements.

Back