"ATI Kung Fu better than Nvidia?"

While it's very clear AMD(ATi) D3D driver(s) in Vista have had more work put into them, it's certainly not clear that their OpenGL drivers have had the same treatment.
Vista actually sees the first implementation of our new OpenGL driver, so there has been much work put into it. Yes, there is improvements to be made, and you'll be seeing more performance increases under OpenGL In Vista Catalyst 7.2:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=367

[Edit] That article also has some interesting stats on our downloads, that gives some insight as to the Vista adoption rate and x64 adoption (at least, among ATI Radeon graphics user community).

Er, what's this about 7.5:
The new MSAA adaptive anti-aliasing is scheduled to be put into the May Catalyst release. This feature will bring their AA options on-par or beyond what NVIDIA currently offers on the G80 graphics cards. This feature timeline is a target, and not yet a commitment from AMD at this time.
I kind of doubt they're going to have 8x MSAA or CSAA-like algorithms. Is this just AAA again?

I kind of doubt they're going to have 8x MSAA or CSAA-like algorithms. Is this just AAA again?
It would appear to be solely about "multi-sampled transparency AA" for ATI cards. The example given relates to chain link fences...

I doubt "CSAA-like", too.

Jawed

Vista actually sees the first implementation of our new OpenGL driver, so there has been much work put into it. Yes, there is improvements to be made, and you'll be seeing more performance increases under OpenGL In Vista Catalyst 7.2:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=367

[Edit] That article also has some interesting stats on our downloads, that gives some insight as to the Vista adoption rate and x64 adoption (at least, among ATI Radeon graphics user community).

Very interesting points Wavey, thanks.

Yeah. On the other hand, I downloaded some 64-bit drivers before bailing out for 32-bit for the moment. . . .

On top of that it is incorrect to assume that quality can be built into any software product in a hurry after the first release. In many cases, the initial design, if rushed, would result in an inherently unstable pieces of software that cannot be fixed by solely debugging after the fact. At least not in a hurry. In such cases, it would take a major redesign to raise the quality up to an acceptable level.
Aha! So that explains ATI's Linux drivers, then? :D

Back