ATI RS780 benchmarks

A pretty dinky heatsink on the IGP as well which would indicate relatively low power dissipation. With the UVD, it looks like an ideal motherboard for a HTPC.

NVidia's response will be interesting to see, especially an Intel version combined with a Wolfdale CPU.

It doesn't look as fast as i had expected it to be, considering the onboard 32bit dedicated memory bus and respective IC... :???:
Comparing it with the MCP78U will be interesting for sure.

I still fail to understand why the 32-bit dedicated memory should make it substantially faster in real-world scenarios on a HT3 socket. Well, maybe if you only populated one memory channel...

Either way, impressive results - it will indeed be interesting to see how it turns out against MCP78U & friends.

The sideports have featured on numerous chipsets and they are usually not 32-bit (690G is 16-bit) nor are they really "performance" features, nor often populated on desktop motherboards. Generally these are for mobile implemtations in order to cut down static screen power utilization (even more important on AMD platforms, though these days memory can be accessed without waking the entire CPU).

I still fail to understand why the 32-bit dedicated memory should make it substantially faster in real-world scenarios on a HT3 socket. Well, maybe if you only populated one memory channel...

Either way, impressive results - it will indeed be interesting to see how it turns out against MCP78U & friends.

It wasn't much difficult to be faster than an IGP on R3xx-based tech with a R6xx-based IGP + dedicated memory, don't you think ?
In that sense, i still consider it a bit slower than expected, even though the actual gaming performance might be a different matter.

And why lose 780G without it?;)
I wouldn't be surprised if Wavey talked specifically in the context of using a HT3 CPU on the motherboard. Otherwise your GPU's access to system bandwidth is much more limited and that extra memory chip might come in more handy. And guess what: PCOnline is using an Athlon X2 5000+ to test here. Sigh...

Sorry, it's just me having a brainfart. :oops: For some reason I thought OCWorkbench had ripped the data from there but those were AMD slides.

We know what to expect with Phenom, don't we?? With Phenom, performance gained approximately 15-20%. It says that on the first post. There are rumors around the web that the RS780 is faster than the MCP78.

Power consumption figures for the two chipsets ought to be interesting. I'll be upgrading my HTPC to use one of these two in a couple of months and if one has significantly lower power draw that will be my choice.

Back