Oh my god!!!

Hellbinder[CE] said:
What irritates me is that several of you have bought into the idea that his editorial is actually about the *choke hold* issue. It clearly is not. He attacks ATi in several areas, while not mentioning any other company.

If this was a preview about an Nvidia product this *editorial* would have never been written. it is clear that ED is a close minded Nvidia Fan-boy. Plain and simple. Matrox did the exact same thing with their parhelia.. yet no comentary on that.. The ONLY reason this lame excuse for and *editorial* was written is becuases of bitterness that ATi's new card is faster than the current Nvidia offering.

It makes me ill that the only ones defending this slanderous trash are other Nvidia Fan-boys.

Brand loyalty has gotten way out of control. The internet in general is getting to be nothing more than an online version of The Enquirer or Star magazine.

Hellbinder, it is you who unhelpfully reduces the matter to playground rivalry and allegiances, revealing more your own state. You seem to think that people have to write a comprehensive "essay" to be considered valid. This article is of someone waking up to manipulation of journalism, it is not intended as a phd piece on the whole of the industry.
You all could just let the writer blow off some steam about ATi preventing real journalism instead of making yourselves feel superior.

Chalnoth said:
I do know that under Linux with nVidia's drivers you can set any custom resolution you want

I had my TNT runing at 2000x1500 in linux. :D Never made it to 2048x1536. I didn't use that resolution that often though, since the refresh rate were "kinda low". :D

Well, been quite a while since I've posted - been happy just to lurk. However, I have had a bit of an email exchange with Ed - who really is a decent person. Remember, his website is value oriented, so $400.00 videocards are not very appreciated there ;)
Ed has accually been ranting quite a bit lately. Please excuse the length & those parts that are not specific to this discussion.

My email:

Ed, while I agree with you about the total failure of almost all of the internet site to be anything but the manufactures lapdogs, I do have to take issue with your rant on ATI themselves. As far as the Quack 3 thing, is that any worse than the nVidia 3DMark problem?(you know - the fact that GF4's score higher with the title screen enabled than without!) NOT!
I also take issue with the fact than the 9700 is only faster then the 4600 at very high resolutions. If you do not use FSAA and/or anisotropic filtering, this may be true, BUT.....FSAA(4xS) and full anisotropic filtering bring the GF4 Ti4600 to it's knees....believe me, I use one. If the ATI 9700 can run with 4X(or 6X!!!) FSAA & anisotropic filtering(128 samples, no less!) , as most of these "reviews" say, run as fast or faster than the GF4 Ti4600 with nothing turned on, then that is a huge difference. It's not even close, Ed.
Now, don't get me wrong, I take all this with a very large grain of salt.......I will not believe it till I see it. But, I have to say that I am very excited about the possibilities. If this turns out to be BS.....well, we will all know it pretty quickly. I'm sure you will tell us about it...;-)!
As a game player, I have to admit I have never been especially happy with the IQ of nVidia's cards......I really miss the visual quality of my V5........course, I don't miss the lack of speed, to say the least. nVidia has alway gone for speed over IQ.......and, even with 4xS FSAA & full anisotropic filtering the V5 just plain looks better, period!
I will pick one of the 9700's up when they are availible, and let you know.
BTW, I have 6 comnputers set up right now, and they all use nVidia cards.....(2 - TI4600's, 1-GF3, 2 - TI200 & a M64 TNT). So I'm not anti nVidia, at all. However, I can only applaud ATI for finally giving nVidia some real competition .....it can only help all of us.

While I understand your rants, I do believe you have been ranting a bit too loudly recently. Please remind your readers, from time to time, about the value of competition. If not for AMD & ATI, just where would we be right now? Let's pray they both do well.....the worse thing for us as users would be for either company to fail to compete, don't you think?
And, remember the boy who cried wolf.......and mellow out a bit, ok?

Ed's reply:

If you put a gun to my head and said, "Tell me what you think this card will end up really being like," I would probably say, "This card will probably be very suitable for those running at very high resolutions and/or using heavy additional processing like AA." That is not the same as saying "this is a great card for everybody."

You can't give companies free passes from criticism. AMD is not in trouble because Ed Stroligo said something; AMD is in trouble because they aren't doing too well right now.

You want to say the proportion of "rants" has been too high lately, I would tend to agree.

My followup:

I don't think anyone would deny that any $400.00 videocard is not something everyone should have.... no matter who makes it. But, to those that are in the market for a high end "gaming" videocard this very well may be a revolutionary product - worth at least as much as a GeForce 4 Ti4600. As far as it's other capibilities, well, that remains to be seen. The only fly in the ointment would be ATI's history of poor driver development. However, they have been doing much better on that front recently, so lets hope thay are on the ball this time. Again, we will find out shortly.....IF the spin doctors at the major sites can get their heads out of the manufactures butts - which I doubt, but you will hear at least some truth from them....just take it, like all things from the net(your rants included!) with a bit of healthy skeptisicm! If you are interested in a great site devoted to "honest" videocard reviews, check out Beyond3D. The people there are among the most knowlegible group I have seen on the net. And, the Reverend is famous for telling it like it is.

As far as free passes from criticism, I agree with you. I never said you were in any way responsible for AMD's problems. However, it's not all doom & gloom. Say your mind, Ed. Just remember that there is an eb & flow in this industry, and keep that in mind. In fact, thats probably the best thing for us, the knowledgeable consumer. It pushes the companys to give us better products, and at the same time for lower prices. If Intel & nVidia had no reason to give us better product for compeditive prices.....would they? Thank the stars for AMD and ATI.....otherwise we'd be using P2 400's with TNT's.......for a bunch of money!
While AMD's fortunes are down at the moment, let hope Hammer is everything they need to come right back to the top. Lets hope it kills the P4.....so we can get even more for our money! And, same thing is true about ATI & nVidia. Hey, if the R300 is all it's cracked up to be, and absolutely slays the TI4600, that great! And, if in 5 months the NV30 comes out and beats the bejesus out of the R300....even better! Those of use that can afford to buy these thing swill have a ball being on the bleeding edge. And, everyone else will make out like bandits as the technology moves down! Think about it: GF3 TI200's for $80.00 & Radeon 8500's for $90.00. Would this have been possible IF ATI & nVidia didn't keep the pressure on each other? I don't think so!

Ed, just think about this when you begin to get in a ranting mood.......don't stop the rant (hey, I love rants myself!). Just give us some objective "hope" at the end of the gloomy tunnel!

I'll post a reply, if there is any.......

Actually, under linux you can basically set just about any card to display at any refresh rate/resolution/colordepth so long as it fits in video memory, and so long as your ramdac is fast enough to handle it. Personally, I run 1440x1080 on most of my monitors, and have the timings set differently depending on which one it is. (I have an old 20" cad monitor at home that can only do 72hz at 1440x1080, but at work I have a newer 21" that I run at 85Hz instead).

This is really neat, because it lets those of us that are willing to figure out the modelines to run in whatever resolution "feels" right to us. :)

Nite_Hawk

Its certainly possible in atis drivers under windows to set any refresh rate and resolution. Not much use to me mind as I've got a 15" monitor that does 1024x768 @ 90Hz max :(

that didn't make sense hit reply instead of new topic. Anyway, most people use 1024x768 as their resolution still ...

Apparently its a pain (or was a pain) to get the Radeon chips to support a number of 'odd' desktop sizes to enable 'pixel perfect' matching for front projection TVs.

Of course, I've got no experience myself with front projectors or ATI cards, but thats the skinny that I've gotten from reading avsforum.com

ATI drivers do not even support 1280x960.

Not correct. ATI's drivers support a flexible resolution scheme. There used to be a util on their site if you don't want to edit the inf/reg manually. The same is the case with Nvidia & 3dfx before them. 1280x1024 is a relic of the "two page dislay" & hence not 4:3 aspect ratio. I agree that 1280x960 is a more pleasant desktop ratio if you're unable to run @ 1600x1200.

Edit: In response to nox.

Chalnoth said:
I am really curious why in the world most resolutions are 4:3, but the "standard" resolution with a width of 1280 is 1280x1024, or a 5:4 ratio...why??
I believe 1280x1024 is a relic of memory constraints. When every bit counted, 12x10 maximized memory usage (it fit closest into 2MB or whatever). Some manufacturers, probably out of sheer laziness (or, less likely, out of a desire not to confuse the consumer), do not support it.

Xmas said:
3d may be a bit stretched as games tend to use a 4:3 ratio in their viewport transformation (while some games allow you to adjust the field of view)
12x10 should not distort 3D images--it should just show them with more resolution. 3D objects aren't fixed-dpi objects, though the HUD and text may be.

You can use PowerStrip to add whatever res you want. 1400x1050 seems to be popular for 19" displays. I'm still stuck at 11x8 on my nice 19" DiamontronNF because my Xpert128 blurs noticably above that res. The day I get that cheap GF3/8500.... :D

I dont know either, but i do know that my crappy viewsonic 19" monitor can display, at 85+HZ (which is the minimum for my personal comfort, i'd prefer 100+)
either
1280x960 (and anything below this, of course)
1280x1024 5:4
1360x768 ~7:4 (weird, eh?)
1600x900 another strange one
1600x1024 25:16 ~ 5:3

The least fubared of these is 1280x1024, with exception on 1280x960.
I find that i prefer 1280x1024 over 1280x960. the difference is minimal, and i get more pixels :)

The last drivers that I installed (30.30) seemed to add a couple of wierd resolutions on my machine. It currently supports the normal resolutions plus:

848x480 (A 16x9 mode...)
1280x720
1280x960
1360x768
1600x900
1600x1024

Of particular interest to me is the 1600x900 mode...I can actually run that mode at 85Hz (as opposed to 75Hz at 1600x1200), and if I properly adjust the display to avoid distortion, I get a very nice, high-resolution display (but, of course, I lose a fair portion of the screen...but that's just fine for 3D gaming).

Back