Ati claiming to show a revolutionary technical advance

Ehmmm why is everyone missing the slightly more obvious connection? Raven ... all she is missing is the x and a crew-cut.

Nalu's face looks weird when she is looking straight at you. You expect her to have a deep voice and a head that spins 360 degrees.

Wow, is that some sort of joke? If that is Ruby, then it is pretty weak imho. :? Her arms look comic bookish 2D and as far as the background goes... I don't see how it is more impressive then that Nalu (or whatever her name is). :oops:

I think the chimp and bear were more impressive than (if so) Ruby. I really hope ATi has something more in the way of ooh and awe, cause they are falling short with this tech demo (if that's what it is). :oops:

I dunno, maybe it will get better... I really hope it does at least. :oops:

How some people talk so much crud about the Nalu demo is beyond me. I remember when the bear and chimp demo's came out for ATi, the hair is what was most impressive. When comparing Nalu to Ruby, at least Nalu's skin looks realistic as the way her hair floats and seperates in the water... seperates!? :oops:

Seems like all some people need is the Chimp demo to have boobs and they'll be set. :LOL:

Nick Spolec said:
If ATI is smart they will actually have her flesh rendered so people can make a nude patch.

lmao... :LOL:

Hey thanks Ostsol, I just noticed there is a alien or ninja type fooker (in the background) in that particular pick. 8) Still, Ruby looks like one of the evil barbies from that Movie Small Soldiers. :LOL:

Malfunction said:
Wow, is that some sort of joke? If that is Ruby, then it is pretty weak imho. :? Her arms look comic bookish 2D and as far as the background goes... I don't see how it is more impressive then that Nalu (or whatever her name is). :oops:

I think the chimp and bear were more impressive than (if so) Ruby. I really hope ATi has something more in the way of ooh and awe, cause they are falling short with this tech demo (if that's what it is). :oops:

I dunno, maybe it will get better... I really hope it does at least. :oops:

How some people talk so much crud about the Nalu demo is beyond me. I remember when the bear and chimp demo's came out for ATi, the hair is what was most impressive. When comparing Nalu to Ruby, at least Nalu's skin looks realistic as the way her hair floats and seperates in the water... seperates!? :oops:

Seems like all some people need is the Chimp demo to have boobs and they'll be set. :LOL:
Um, hello?
Did you miss the whole discussion about how Ruby is PART OF A SCENE?
Not the entire scene?
Dont get me wrong, Nalu is a more impressive CHARACTER.
But she does her thing with nothing in the background.

Two totally different ideas.

if Ruby were actually smiling in that picture shed probably look better. That face she has there is quite a turn off, GI Jane or something.

Surely no one noticed the zillions of Ruby's armpit hairs rendered in real time. That, combined with the calculations of the iridiscence of the sweat in the same zone is the demostration of ATI's superior technolgy :LOL:

Furthermore, the other zones affected by hair and wetness are rendered in real time just for the sake of the demo. I cannot imagine the performance gain when ATI activates the HSR 8)

The hair in the Nalu demo is certainly amazing but other than that the demo is seriously lacking. The Ruby demo looks like it will be much more interesting, sort of a 3d short rendered in real time. Comparing them is sort of stupid, better to compare the Nvidia Timbury demo with Ruby, they are much closer in concept. Actually, any word on other tech demos by ATi? Maybe they have something else up their sleeve?

As for looking good, Dawn easily beats them both.

Dawn and Dusk never impressed me.

Nalu has:
1) long, flowing, well lighted hair.
2) bioluminescent scales
3) Soft shadows
4) very convincing skin

Frankly I've never been impressed with an Nvidia tech demo until Nalu. The level of realism, detail, and lighting just blows my mind.

Ruby...too early to form a solid opinion. No really good pics or movies yet. As far as the pic that has been shown I'd agree with most of the criticism here. Doesn't look very feminine, skin doesn't look right(plastic), and yes her facial expression is adding to her unattractiveness, and she clearly is missing a whip.

Nah, Ruby is Raven's, ahem, domestic partner. They just got married in San Francisco recently. :)

Nothing wrong with that!

I think everyone should chill and wait to see both Nalu and Ruby on their own screens before rushing to judgement. I have seen both and have my preference.

BTW, I have it on very good authority (someone inside ATI) that Ruby has a complete birthday suit. I don't know about Nalu.

AM I the only one who thinks that

ruby1.jpg

and
http://karpo.org/images/Dunno/Ruby.jpg

don`t look anything alike?

Look specifically at the face, eyes and hair (the latters hair quality far exceeds that of the first). That`s assuming both are real time and one is not a prerendered version of the other.

drspangle said:
AM I the only one who thinks that

Look specifically at the face, eyes and hair (the latters hair quality far exceeds that of the first). That`s assuming both are real time and one is not a prerendered version of the other.

One is a scan of a low-res image from a newspaper and has a completely different facial expression. The closup looks to be more of a suprised look whereas the second one, the longshot, says "I'm gonna kick some serious butt in about two seconds." :)

You all really need to reserve judgment until you see them rendered in real time. And that goes for both demos. Both suit their intended purpose well, IMO.

Gollum said:
Hmmm, with every pic Ruby looks a little worse. Guess I just prefer women who are more "realistic" in their proportions. I don't dig the consmetic surgery enhanced Pam Anderson type and Ruby unfortunately has it all. Those artificially inflated breasts and behinds combined with untra-thin hips in game-babes are getting kinda lame. What is the logic behind it anyways, "bigger breasts protect you from bullets and provide additional protection in fistfights"?

Diplo said:
Guess you don't go for girls with tails, then? Talking of which, this always raises the delicate subject of how exactly do mermaids procreate? I guess even Nvidia won't have modelled, erm, all aspects of the anatomy... ummm. :oops:
Hehe, you never watched much Futurama eh? There's actually an episode that explores this idea... ;)

"Why couldn't she be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the woman part on bottom?" - Fry

:D

Back