• Radeon 5850

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • Actually I'll wait for Nvidias gtx300 series

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • Other (aka where's my option)

Votes: 18 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I remember, that some B3D member mentioned, that NV2a had even more arithmetic power than NV25 and it was on top in this point till NV30. But it's many years now and my memory isn't good enough.

Personally I will wait. I always wait till the competition is released if possible. Prices almost always go down (though sometimes directly after introduction they go up). If ATI had the old school thing where the first cards of the 5850 could be converted to 5870 with bios flash then maybe I would buy one, but they don't seem to like that any more.

I've waited for R600 before I bought my G80, and I'll probably do the same now.
Firstly, because prices will probably come down considerably during the first weeks/months. Secondly, because I'd like to get the best card, not necessarily the first card.
Ofcourse this all depends on how long nVidia plans to keep me waiting. My patience runs out after about 6 months...

In the past when a particular IHV has lead another to market on a new generation of parts the first to market typically outperforms (or matches) the card that comes after. Think about
R300 and NV30, G80 and R600, NV10 and R100, NV20 and R200 etc

So I'm thinking that GT300 is going to be another NV30. Their DX10 arch is completely outclassed here, the die size they'd need on 40nm to match the performance of R870 is not economically feasible. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

That said I'm going to stick with my 4870 1GB becuase it's plenty fast for my needs.

In the past when a particular IHV has lead another to market on a new generation of parts the first to market typically outperforms (or matches) the card that comes after. Think about

So I'm thinking that GT300 is going to be another NV30. Their DX10 arch is completely outclassed here, the die size they'd need on 40nm to match the performance of R870 is not economically feasible. It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

That said I'm going to stick with my 4870 1GB becuase it's plenty fast for my needs.

Assuming they'd need something bigger than GT200, it's not technically feasible: TSMC can't manufacture something over 600mm².

But of course that's a big assumption.

is it that big of an assumption? Even on 40nm it would have to be huge to match the 5870. I'm assuming here that they haven't made any big area saving changes between GT200 and now, i guess that's a possibility but I feel that if area savings were possible we would have seen some indications of it already.

That's a very good point. When you're on time, it's a strong indication that your design was fulfilled and your execution worked. When an IHV product is late, that's usually because things have gone wrong. Over ambitious design, process problems, need to cut down the design and do respins taking more time, etc.

ATI hitting their timetables shows that 58xx has gone to plan, where Nvidia's execution on new products (as opposed to old products renamed) has been sorely lacking. I can't believe Nvidia don't have a DX11 product for the launch of DX11 with a new version of Windows. It's a golden marketing opportunity that no PC-tech company should miss out on.

Last edited by a moderator:
its the same size as a 4870x2~, and smaller than a 8800gtx~... If you use big cards you need a server case anyways... well for the love of the cable gods and your sanity to install stuff.
and will get two X2s! .

its the same size as a 4870x2~, and smaller than a 8800gtx~... If you use big cards you need a server case anyways... well for the love of the cable gods and your sanity to install stuff.
and will get two X2s! .

Bah, my little Shuttle SFF has handled everything with room to spare so far. Granted room to spare with an 8800 GTX is only a cm or two. :p

Regards,
SB

I have one of those TT Armor cases which might as well be a freakin non-racked server anyway ;) So I'll have no problem wedging in a pretty egregiously-sized card or three.

A 5870 would do everything I want today; every game I play would have a measurable performance increase over my 4850 CF setup. And in a year when I need / want more, another 5870 will be cheap(er) :)

Hell, I've already started looking around for a 3rd monitor for my setup. :p

LG has a really sweet and seriously thin 23/24 (can't remember exactly) LED LCD for a little over 300 USD. Unfortunately it's only 1920x1080. And it doesn't support Portrait mode. /sigh. So I'll have to keep looking.

Regards,
SB

Thats a good point, in the past you could always at least point to Crysis as a beast of a game that hadn't been nearly tamed by any GPU...

I dont think 5870 is there yet, to the point of "domination" but we're getting closer. I guess there's ARMA II now as well, though thats kind of low budget. But yeah, once Crysis is tamed, there truly wont be much gaming reason for new GPU's..which is a change in the landscape.

Well, there's Crysis and then there's modded Crysis. ;) It's not even historically new: we used to have the Q2 Crusher benchmark when Quake 2 no longer proved a challenge.

Back