Assassins Creed Unity [PS4, XO]

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-9-things-need-know/

2. Including the Parkour…

One of the biggest changes: the ability to navigate down a building. Previously, you’d climb up a building, race across the rooftops, then find a convenient haystack for a leap of faith, landing safely on the ground below. “We wanted to avoid having haystacks all over the place and doing that special move all the time,” says Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand. “Controlled descent is more exciting. It also allows you to do things that are different each time. This also adds to the sense of joy of being free and doing whatever you want.”

You’ll need that extra freedom of movement, as the buildings are now all designed at a 1:1 scale. Acrophobics, beware: You’ll really feel that height when you’re standing atop Notre Dame, staring out over the city.

And that’s just a small taste of how navigation has been overhauled. The way an Assassin will move through Paris will be radically different than in previous games – but we’ll have more on that later.

5. Mission Uncontrol

Mission structure has also changed. Or, to put it more directly: missions no longer have a set structure. In previous games, you’d be given a defined set of goals. You’d achieve them, or you’d start over – either at the beginning of the mission or at an appropriate checkpoint. Assassin’s Creed Unity introduces something called Adaptive Mission Mechanic (AMM) – which is exactly what it sounds like.

To explain AMM, Amancio lays out a typical scenario from previous games. Let’s say you’re tailing a Templar target; if you get spotted, the mission might be over. That’s no longer the case. “We’ve opted for a different philosophy where we won’t tell you Tail this guy,” Amancio says. “We’ll just maybe tell you Figure out where he’s going.” That means you can tail him if you like – and if you get spotted, the tail could turn into a chase. If you lose him altogether, your goal switches to locating your target. If a riot happens to break out and your target is killed, then you can loot his body to, say, find a letter that tells you where he’s going. “So it’s really up to the player to figure out how he’s going to do this,” Amancio says.

Of course, there’s much more to AMM than this. It’ll never be as simple as choosing the easiest path (i.e., killing every target and looting their bodies) because that could have serious repercussions in the world. “If a guy is missing, maybe they’re going to double up patrols in your next mission. So there’s a risk. It evens itself out.”

7. Paris Bound

Assassin’s Creed Unity is set in Paris during the French Revolution – one of the bloodiest, most chaotic periods in world history. This was also a time that set the stage for the modern era, changing everything that came afterward.

But history lesson aside, Paris during the French Revolution was also a bustling, dense city, with amazing architecture and a diverse population. There are various factions in the world, groups of people who will interact with each other – and who the player can use to his advantage. And there are moments when you might see crowds of up to 5,000 NPCs on screen, as opposed to 150 or so that you might find at maximum in previous games.

Assassin’s Creed Unity also introduces interiors. Yes, you can enter buildings throughout the city – some of which will be simple interiors, with others being fully decked out settings for missions. “It’s a game-changer for us,” Pontbriand says. “You can explore Paris inside and out.”

And under. The catacombs of Paris will also be available for players to explore.

Sounds great.

Seems like they're really taking some of the far more annoying parts of previous AC games and re-working them to be actually adaptive and fun.

I don't think it's been dowqngraded from the actual gameplay that was shown at E3, the CG sections of the trailer, sure, but was anyone really expecting that?

The buildings look good, but the models don't look that much better than Black flag in my opinion.

I expect the game to look like that or better to be honest.

Okay I have to be loosing my mind here.

Downgrades?

Characters not looking better than Black Flag?

Has the summer Sun blinded everyone here?

Key words were much better. I never said they didn't look better.

They certainly don't indicate that next gen consoles can't cope

The new PBR materials and lighting are a gigantic improvement in character looks. Textures also look much nicer and I'd say poly count is much higher too. The difference is like night and day to me.

The city being 1:1 scale is the most exciting thing about this AC.

I must admit that I'm normally rather an avid fan of the series, but the sense of scale in the games, or rather lack thereof, always seemed lacking to me.

That was the first thing I noted from the reveal trailer at E3 2014, the sense of scale seemed "spot on", in a way very few open world games get right imho.

The new PBR materials and lighting are a gigantic improvement in character looks. Textures also look much nicer and I'd say poly count is much higher too. The difference is like night and day to me.

Well you live and breathe this stuff so it should be like night and day. To a layman like me there's little difference.

I'm more excited about the changes they've promised on the gameplay front. All sounds rather meaningful actually. Sure, the visuals look amazing, but pretty pictures ain't gonna get me through a game anymore (especially not if the gameworld is that huge). I didn't stop playing WD because I didn't like the visuals (I think that game looks great). I stopped because it started boring me out of my skull halfway through.

Would love to play as a female protagonist with the new engine due to the much improved cloth physics and better lighting. The game really is a big step up from AC4, just hope the missions and story are interesting for me to finish.

Well you live and breathe this stuff so it should be like night and day. To a layman like me there's little difference.

These visuals are night and day compared to AC4 for anyone ! Just look at them ! Look at the lighting in the environment, on the characters, the character models, the cloth simulation ! One doesn't need to know gfx tech to appreciate it. My friend at my workplace was not ready to believe that its realtime ;) , He was convinced its CG. Its only when I pointed out the flat ground, low poly debris etc that he was assured that its realtime and we will see this on consoles this year.

Back