Assassins Creed Unity [PS4, XO]

Hehe that's funny though.

So Ubi discovered multithreading. Surely they'll work out synchronizing threads within a couple of Asscreeds.

Going by their presentations at CppCon, couple is an interesting estimate...

The last Assassin's Creed I played was Black Flag which did have a few minor bugs but overall was very stable for for me on PlayStation 4. In fact that team were so on top of things that PS4 owners had the day one 1080p patch.
I havent played Black Flag. Perhaps that game is an exception

Game has been remarkably bug-free and stable for me.

@DSoup: 125.000 Francs is actually not an awful lot in the game. Just upgrade the Theatre de Cafe and complete its 5 missions. You'll earn 28.000 Francs once every 20 minutes from that point onwards. If anything money is even easier to come by than it used to be. Unlike in past series entries, there's just lots of stuff worth buying in Unity (fighting with an expensive weapon with a big damage stat actually makes a very tangible difference now, whereas in Black Flag your fists were just as effective as any other weapon), so chances are you won't be sitting on mountains of cash for very long.

I found playing rifts allows you to generate a ton of francs if you are decent at that game type. I generate a lot of francs by looting just to avoid shopping for smoke bombs and other consumables. Berserks phantom blades costs 250 a pop. And the refill all consumable option can go from just ~100 francs in the beginning to 1000s of francs later in the game.

I have indulged in micro transactions and spent $10 early on just to get a decent weapon from the start. By mid game I had 14K in francs but the sword I wanted was listed at 25K. I played the rifts for about 30-40 minutes to generate the needed 11K. A round in the Rifts can generate as low as 200-300 for poor scores to as high as 6K for excellent ones. And a round only lasts like 2-3 minutes.

125K for a weapons may seem like a lot but the level of grinding isn't anywhere near what you have to do in a game like Destiny for a top tier weapon.

Hehe that's funny though.

So Ubi discovered multithreading. Surely they'll work out synchronizing threads within a couple of Asscreeds.

Well I'm playing Assassin's Creed Liberation in the Vita nowadays and I'd find it very hard to believe they're doing everything in the game with a single Cortex A9 at 1GHz.

But perhaps that was a joke and I'm just ignorant for not getting it.

Game has been remarkably bug-free and stable for me.

@DSoup: 125.000 Francs is actually not an awful lot in the game. Just upgrade the Theatre de Cafe and complete its 5 missions. You'll earn 28.000 Francs once every 20 minutes from that point onwards. If anything money is even easier to come by than it used to be. Unlike in past series entries, there's just lots of stuff worth buying in Unity (fighting with an expensive weapon with a big damage stat actually makes a very tangible difference now, whereas in Black Flag your fists were just as effective as any other weapon), so chances are you won't be sitting on mountains of cash for very long.

I have 5/5 renovations, 55/84 mementos, 5/5 missions done, and 7/7 Social clubs.
My cap is 43,192 and income is 10,798 per 20 minutes. How do you get 28,000 per 20 mins?

oh and I have over 1,000,000 in game already :D

Was this ever posted regarding performance? Apparently a quote from AMD in rebuttal to the Ubisoft PR on working with AMD.

"The game (in its current state) is issuing approximately 50,000 draw calls on the DirectX 11 API. Problem is, DX11 is only equipped to handle ~10,000 peak draw calls. What happens after that is a severe bottleneck with most draw calls culled or incorrectly rendered, resulting in texture/NPCs popping all over the place. On the other hand, consoles have to-the-metal access and almost non-existent API Overhead but significantly underpowered hardware which is not able to cope with the stress of the multitude of polygons. Simply put, its a very very bad port for the PC Platform and an unoptimized (some would even go as far as saying, unfinished) title on the consoles".

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41110...n-s-creed-unity-s-poor-performance/index.html

I have 5/5 renovations, 55/84 mementos, 5/5 missions done, and 7/7 Social clubs.
My cap is 43,192 and income is 10,798 per 20 minutes. How do you get 28,000 per 20 mins?

oh and I have over 1,000,000 in game already :D

Maybe I got it wrong. My cap is 28.000. I thought that was also how much I'm making every 20 minutes. Still, I have more than enough money.

Game is actually a GotY candidate for me. So much more enjoyable than Black Flag.

Was this ever posted regarding performance? Apparently a quote from AMD in rebuttal to the Ubisoft PR on working with AMD.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/41110...n-s-creed-unity-s-poor-performance/index.html

I don't agree with this, I think it has to do with the weaker DX11 path in AMD drivers, NVIDIA is running the same DX11 code much better already and providing much higher performance than AMD.

ACU:
Even with the i5 installed, we also found that the Radeon R7 265 and the R9 280 didn't quite deliver the performance of their direct Nvidia competitors - the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 760.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-face-off

This also happened in COD AW:
Our observation that the use of AMD graphics cards seems to create a much higher CPU load than utilisation of Nvidia equivalents. This week, AMD released a new beta driver optimised for Call of Duty. We saw a boost in frame-rates compared to our measurements taken last week, but the underlying problem remains.

If you have a Core i3 - or an alternative offering much the same processing performance - paired with an enthusiast AMD card, the game often hits CPU limits during both cut-scenes and gameplay, resulting in a collapse in frame-rates.

We saw the same results on both our Core i3 gaming PC, and also when we disabled two cores on our i7, downclocking it to simulate an i3's capabilities. In both cases, the Nvidia cards' performance barely saw any difference at all. Basically, if you're using an AMD card, you'll need a more powerful CPU too - the i5 2500K in the recommended spec, for example.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-pc-performance

We already discussed this problem in the Mantle thread (I will also link to this post there), now two multi-platform games are exhibiting clear signs of less efficient AMD DX11 performance. I don't think this is a coincidence.

I don't agree with this, I think it has to do with the weaker DX11 path in AMD drivers, NVIDIA is running the same DX11 code much better already and providing much higher performance than AMD.
I think it's very accurate and highlights the work Nvidia has done in their drivers. They're almost shooting themselves in the foot as they're highlighting the benefits of Mantle/DX12 (which is probably very true in this case) but pointing out the lack of work they've done in their DX11 drivers in comparison to Nvidia.

It's fine for AMD to keep pushing the drawl call limitations and try to get more usage for Mantle but a) not everyone has GCN-compatible cards for Mantle, b) Mantle support isn't really growing fast enough, c) DX12 (including developer support in games) is a long way off. We're still looking at 12-24 months (minimum?) of DX11 focus for games and Nvidia already seems to have alleviated the issues somewhat.

I think it's very accurate and highlights the work Nvidia has done in their drivers.

On a related note, users of nVidia cards are reporting bad performance on Dragon Age Inquisition, even when comparing graphics cards between AMD and nVidia of the same performance range using the DX11 path. R9 290X beating a Geforce 980, R9 290 beating a 780Ti and 970, R9 270X being very close to the much more expensive 760, all using DirectX.

Now I could also start saying this is about "the weaker DX11 path in nVidia drivers, AMD is running the same DX11 code much better", or that "this highlights the work AMD has done in their drivers".

Or.. I could just take the level-headed assumption that these games were released a couple of days/hours ago, nVidia obviously got earlier access to AC: Unity, AMD got earlier access to DA: Inquisition, and performance in both games will be balanced when the next set of drivers gets released within the next few weeks, from either company.

Unless AC: Unity is using Gameworks. That usually makes everything a lot harder to AMD, of course.

That's quite a general approach. I was staying that based on the AMD comments regarding the draw calls specifically being the issue with performance on AMD and AC Unity.

On a related note, users of nVidia cards are reporting bad performance on Dragon Age Inquisition, even when comparing graphics cards between AMD and nVidia of the same performance range using the DX11 path. R9 290X beating a Geforce 980, R9 290 beating a 780Ti and 970, R9 270X being very close to the much more expensive 760, all using DirectX.

Now I could also start saying this is about "the weaker DX11 path in nVidia drivers, AMD is running the same DX11 code much better", or that "this highlights the work AMD has done in their drivers".
pcgameshardware benchmarked the game before official release, before specific drivers from both parties, post launch the picture is completely different:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-dragon_age_inquisition-test-DragonAgeInquisition_1920.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/rpg/rollevye/dragon-age-inkvizitsiya-test-gpu.html

Also from computerbase:
http://www.computerbase.de/2014-11/benchmarks-und-grafikvergleich-zu-dragon-age-inquisition/

And
again we are not talking about whose got the faster performance, we are talking about specific patterns that arise during testing, one that AMD GPUs require more CPU power than NVIDIA's in COD AW, and the other that AMD GPUs are taking a bigger hit in ACU while also singling out the extensive use of draw calls as the main reason for that.

In fact the same thing can be noticed in ACU, AMD requiring more CPU power to achieve more frames, for example GTX 970 can drop ~10% of it's fps using FX 9590 CPU, while 290X loses ~25% of it's frames using the same CPU:
http://pclab.pl/art59163-16.html
[url]http://pclab.pl/art59163-15.html
[/URL]

Does anyone know if NVidia's PhysX is being used in ACU? If so, could explain some of the higher CPU utilization needed for AMD hardware. Meaning; physics are being handled by the CPU for AMD setups, while NVidia setups benefit from GPU physics handling.

Last edited:
knowing ubi and their associations I would say yes
total biscuit has 2x 980's and a good intel cpu and he has performance problems

Its been well known for year that numerous generations (2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx etc) of AMD vidyacards perform worse with emulator pcsx2 because it place a gargantuan burden on the cpu. So hearing that a very cpu demanding game performs worse on AMD cards isn't too surprising. Certainly not all the blame (not even 40% of the blame) can be placed on AMD, but its one ingredient in the recipe for poor performance in Unity.

pcgameshardware benchmarked the game before official release, before specific drivers from both parties, post launch the picture is completely different:

Yap, my point exactly:

Or.. I could just take the level-headed assumption that these games were released a couple of days/hours ago, nVidia obviously got earlier access to AC: Unity, AMD got earlier access to DA: Inquisition, and performance in both games will be balanced when the next set of drivers gets released within the next few weeks, from either company.

Just read a report that ubi have released a patch (patch 3) the thing that caught my eye is this little gem
While the French company listed 300 bugs that were fixed

The thing to take away is not "great they fixed a load of bugs" but how shocking it is that ubi thought it was acceptable to release a game with so many faults

And for added comedy value the second sticky is entitled
wait for it....

Unable to enter game after Patch 3

Last edited:
Back