Assassins Creed Unity [PS4, XO]

Anyone who wants to pay real money over and above the full price game to pay-to-win in a single-player game can go right ahead.
It's a slippery slope. Once publishers realise consumers will accept them putting cool game rewards behind a micro-transaction, with the alternative option of them being free if you sink a ridiculous number of of in, there'll be no stopping them.

It's a slippery slope. Once publishers realise consumers will accept them putting cool game rewards behind a micro-transaction, with the alternative option of them being free if you sink a ridiculous number of of in, there'll be no stopping them.
They spent that ridiculous amount of time getting those items in the past 43 Assassin's Creeds, yet this time they can't control themselves when there's a carrot shoved in front of their face that's only US $9.95 away. This is basically the Star Citizen funding model, sell horrendously expensive ships to backers so they don't have to earn them in game once it's finally released. I have my initial ship I got when I backed SC and I won't be buying anything else because I have self control.

I gain satisfaction from playing a game when I achieve things myself, otherwise games become boring real fast.

They spent that ridiculous amount of time getting those items in the past 43 Assassin's Creeds
Which items, particularly weapons, took a "ridiculous amount of time" to get in past AC games? Because I don't remember any.

If people want to buy it, let them buy it. The only issue I have with micro is when it's online competitive games that become pay to win. In that case, I'm out as a consumer.

Ubi are basically selling a cheat code - shameful
That's as old as the industry almost though, isn't it? Nintendo had their own hotlines where you paid expensive phone minutes and you could get cheat codes in return in what, the SNES days? Even before that? I don't care about that. Let people who have too much money and too little time spend money. In the meantime, I'll complain if the game is no fun and/or I'll have to pay to even get through the main campaign.

I've just been playing my first assassination mission, and have to say, here the framerate is bad and it is
detracting from the fun.

If people want to buy it, let them buy it. The only issue I have with micro is when it's online competitive games that become pay to win. In that case, I'm out as a consumer.
The problem with that is it encourages bad behavior, how long can a company with the morals of ubi resist making the best weapons incredibly difficult to get or moving all the cool stuff to the final 30 minutes of the game because it increases the likelihood of people paying

I don't mind the option to pay for cheat codes, as long as I can access all the content and can finish the game without using it. Basically, keep the difficulty the same as in the previous series and offer those cheat codes for people that just want to end the game quickly. And of course, please no pay to win for multiplayer.

I don't mind the option to pay for cheat codes, as long as I can access all the content and can finish the game without using it. Basically, keep the difficulty the same as in the previous series and offer those cheat codes for people that just want to end the game quickly.

The top-end equipment has always taken a bit of work but not crazy amounts. The Eurogamer mentions there are hundreds of items available and name two which are the Cinquedeas (5 diamond rated sword) for 125,000 francs and the Legendary Brigand Hood (headgear) which is also 125,000 francs.

125,000 francs sounds like a lot for the time period and having watched people complete a few missions it looks like pickpocketing offers nets around 1-15 francs for the most part and missions a few hundred francs reward. So 125,000 francs sounds like a crazy amount of work for one item, given there are hundreds of items. :(

I started played the game on XB1, I don't really get why everyone is in quite such a tizzy over the graphics. The core lighting model gives pretty good results for rough surfaces, but otherwise it doesn't seem too special, and it's not really a standout in performance.

In some ways it's an impressive package, but the chorus that we've finally gotten an eighth-gen game that rises high above everything else confuses me.

Eurogamer have an article detailing what Ubisoft are focussing on in the third patch, these are:
  • Gameplay: this includes bugs like Arno getting stuck on certain areas of the map (including a few more hay carts), problems with getting into/out of cover, character animation bugs, and general camera problems
  • AI & Crowd: in this category are problems with NPC animations, crowd events, and crowd stations, NPC navigation issues, as well as bugs related to NPCs detecting Arno's activities in various situations
  • Matchmaking & Connectivity: this covers a number of issues related to co-op play, including bugs with joining games in-progress and problems that happen during host migration
  • Menus & HUD: fixes in this category will address missing details in certain menus, problems with some of the mission objective and co-op update pop-ups, localization inconsistencies, as well as some of the issues with menus and pop-ups overlapping each other
  • General Stability: this includes fixes for a number of crash situations we've identified in both campaign and co-op modes.

Game has been remarkably bug-free and stable for me.

@DSoup: 125.000 Francs is actually not an awful lot in the game. Just upgrade the Theatre de Cafe and complete its 5 missions. You'll earn 28.000 Francs once every 20 minutes from that point onwards. If anything money is even easier to come by than it used to be. Unlike in past series entries, there's just lots of stuff worth buying in Unity (fighting with an expensive weapon with a big damage stat actually makes a very tangible difference now, whereas in Black Flag your fists were just as effective as any other weapon), so chances are you won't be sitting on mountains of cash for very long.

Game has been remarkably bug-free and stable for me.

@DSoup: 125.000 Francs is actually not an awful lot in the game. Just upgrade the Theatre de Cafe and complete its 5 missions. You'll earn 28.000 Francs once every 20 minutes from that point onwards. If anything money is even easier to come by than it used to be.
Ah it's like the vila in AC2. You never have enough money then you have loads. Check.

Unlike in past series entries, there's just lots of stuff worth buying in Unity (fighting with an expensive weapon with a big damage stat actually makes a very tangible difference now, whereas in Black Flag your fists were just as effective as any other weapon), so chances are you won't be sitting on mountains of cash for very long.

I was much quicker at taking down opponents with a good sword than fists. There are a few times in the campaign when you find yourself without weapons and it's really noticeable how slow combat is using fists alone. Lower damage, lower speed, no combo points - AFAIK.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: Assassin's Creed Unity

Digital Foundry said:
Overall, it's very difficult to avoid the sense that Assassin's Creed Unity was released in an unfinished state. On PC in particular, it really feels like beta code - feature-complete, but lacking in optimisation, with bugs manifesting regularly. On console, the game is more stable, but clearly performance is unacceptable - the frequent dips to 25fps on Xbox One are jarring enough, but it remains truly remarkable that the PS4 game should drop just as often to 20fps.

Not anything that anybody didn't know, but ouch!

This is not the only Assassin's Creed that is plagued by bugs. I experienced bugs with the other Assasin's Creed games too.
Especially in Assassin's Creed 3. So many in that game actually that I wonder how come it wasnt hammered by reviewers and gamers for them. Just to get an idea, I died during a cut scene. Yes you have heard that right. There was a cut scene and my character died while it was playing.
Ubisoft seems to rush with the series in general. But it appears they have outdone their selves with Unity

The last Assassin's Creed I played was Black Flag which did have a few minor bugs but overall was very stable for for me on PlayStation 4. In fact that team were so on top of things that PS4 owners had the day one 1080p patch.

Especially in Assassin's Creed 3. So many in that game actually that I wonder how come it wasnt hammered by reviewers and gamers for them. Just to get an idea, I died during a cut scene. Yes you have heard that right. There was a cut scene and my character died while it was playing.

Hehe that's funny though.

So Ubi discovered multithreading. Surely they'll work out synchronizing threads within a couple of Asscreeds.

Back