AS5, Geil copper, or generic white paste?

It is not conductive. It is slightly capacitive.

I've been using AS since AS1. It's good stuff, but it's not magic. You won't see more than a few degrees difference between it and the worst paste.

I've been pretty happy with AS. As swaaye mentioned, it a suble difference. More important perhaps is surface finish, and trueness of plane for the heatsink.

AS might not be that much better, but crappy paste has a tendency to dry out with age and turn into a white powder, and then it sure doesn't do one iota of good...

Artic silver doesn't have silver in it anyway it is like silver oxide or something :p that is why it isn't conductive and is only capacitive.

Silver oxide is still silver, and no, it isn't silver oxide. It's metallic silver, just look at the color. Silver oxide is black (or near enough anyway), and doesn't have a metallic sheen to it.

Guden Oden said:
Silver oxide is still silver, and no, it isn't silver oxide. It's metallic silver, just look at the color. Silver oxide is black (or near enough anyway), and doesn't have a metallic sheen to it.

Arctic Silver 5 contains micronized silver, Arctic Silver 5 also contains sub-micron zinc oxide, aluminum oxide and boron nitride particles. These thermally-enhanced ceramic particles improve the compound's performance and long-term stability.

I read their info sheet once and they implied they did do something to it to keep it from being conductive, although from reading the MSDS on the site it seems like it is nothing particullarly special. I misremembered all the other oxides, and I know silveroxide is black, but all that shines isn't silver :p

I used the AS5 since I had it, and spread it with my finger for the first time.

It worked great! Messy, but great.

Just about got done re-installing XP on her, just got the TV working and that's about the last bit before I get to start walking her threw her paces.

lol XD

if you're applying AS with your finger, you should wrap that finger in saran wrap first...

and as an aside to those interested in paying for AS5, might as well spring a couple bucks then for the adhesive variety. it's a little more of a pain to use, but it's so much more useful... my 2c

Just don't use the adhesive on your CPU! :) That stuff is VERY strong. I use it on vid card RAMsinks and for some card's GPU heatsinks (old cards). It's basically a permanent bond and you will rip the chips off before the bond breaks. You can weaken it though by mixing in some regular AS with the two epoxy parts.

poopypoo said:
if you're applying AS with your finger, you should wrap that finger in saran wrap first...
[Homer voice]

Doh!

[/Homer voice]

Good tip, I wish I would have thought of that as it was a biatch to get that stuff off.

BTW-It looked much more black/grey than silver to me, but it's the most recent AS5 variant too.

AS Ceramique ftw.
I have that, got it from heatsinkfactory along with my si97 to cool my 2500+.
Not very easy to spread compared to AS1 that I used before though.

anyone read the title: "AS5, Geil copper, or generic white paste?" and think of a half dozen or so dirty posts? :cool:

epicstruggle said:
anyone read the title: "AS5, Geil copper, or generic white paste?" and think of a half dozen or so dirty posts? :cool:
No and I'm the biggest perv on here.

Back