Article: Practical Fluid Mechanics For Game Developers

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
http://cowboyprogramming.com/2008/04/01/practical-fluid-mechanics/

Mike West penned this article:

(This article originally appeared in two parts in Game Developer Magazine, March and April, 2007) Fluid effects such as rising smoke and turbulent water flow are everywhere in nature, but are seldom implemented convincingly in computer games. The simulation of fluids (which covers both liquids and gasses) is computationally very expensive. It is also mentally very expensive, with even introductory papers on the subject relying on the reader having math skills at least at the undergraduate calculus level.

In this article I will attempt to address both these problems from the perspective of a game programmer not necessarily conversant with vector calculus. I’ll explain how certain fluid effects work without using advanced equations and without too much new terminology. I shall also describe one way of implementing the simulation of fluids in an efficient manner without the expensive iterative diffusion and projection steps found in other implementations. A working demonstration with source accompanies this article and can be downloaded from here, example output from this can be seen in figure 1.

figure-1-sample-output-297x300.png

It's obviously not a paper targeted to 3D programmers only, but it still should be relevant to a lot of the local 3D folks I think.

Looks nice. I've been wanting to play with fluid stuff for quite a while, but I never came around actually coding it.

Back