Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
But the PS4 controller has a blue light for multiplayer detection. PS Eye is not included, but if you have a PSeye, you will have that feature.

It can also act as a boat anchor but the rope isn't included. If it doesn't work out of the box it's hard to sell as a feature. Not that I think the people playing musical chairs while coop gaming is a huge demographic.

But the PS4 controller has a blue light for multiplayer detection. PS Eye is not included, but if you have a PSeye, you will have that feature.

No, this was shown in a demo that I linked prior.

This is completely different, so that if you move from left to right, Kinect will switch back and forth so the left player isn't always player 1 and the right player isn't always player 2. It will actually recognize the individual and then adjust accordingly to where that person is standing in relation to everybody else.

It will also be able to determine if you wear boxers or briefs, and will send the NSA data on what you had for breakfast. So, you know... take the good with the bad.

Article: 10 unique features of the Xbox One.

1) Kinect is pretty incredible this time around

I'll give you that

2) Splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated.

Competitor does that too

3) Kinect included means 100% of people have it. YAY!

Erm.... same as 1

4) Xbox One gamepad tweaked to near-perfection

DS4 seems much better IMO, with more features

5) 15 exclusive games in the first year

Remains to be seen how that will work out. We've only seen a couple.

6) Still has Call of Duty DLC as a timed-exclusive

Don't really care ever since the grand walkout from Activision which marked the series fall.
COD is overrated ever since Black ops. :smile:

7) Xbox One multitasking is slick

Competitor does that too from videos, might not a be a good point.

8) SmartGlass, Twitch integration are established

Competitor does that too, possibly done even better (remoteplay)

9) Xbox One cloud.

Competitor does that too

10) Achievements are carried over from 360

Competitor does that too

RIGHT! YEAH!

It's like SUPER HAPPY FUN DAY for everybody, because now the One and the PS4 are the exact same console, and the only difference is that the One has eSRAM feeding lower latency DDR3 while the PS4 uses larger bandwith but higher latency GDDR5.

And half a dozen shader units ...

Sony announced such a feature before MS :)

but does it work out of the box ? I don't see how it will work without ps eye and since its not included in the console why bother. Unless your saying the ps4 really costs $460

but does it work out of the box ? I don't see how it will work without ps eye and since its not included in the console why bother. Unless your saying the ps4 really costs $460

Oh wow, that's so expensive... How on earth would anybody pay such money or even more for console experience (wait what?!) :D (... this should have launched your sarcasm detector, if not look into mirror)

Although I am really not interested in Kinect, there is one thing that could make me change:

A high quality AAA boxing simulation!

I mean...this seems just a perfect fit for the new kinect, you could make it really detect your fast blows without lag, but highest accuracy!

Furthermore, you have a game, but also a wii fit style training game (include a zumba style mode for all the women out there and Kinect will take over the world). Combine this with AAA polish and realistic graphics that satisfies also the core (and not some realistic toon shit), ask the crazy Klitschkos to do the commercial...et voila!

That's not true.

The 100% demos:

- Forza 5 (real hardware)
- Ryse (real hardware)
- Killer Instinct (real hardware)
- Project Spark (real hardware)
- FIFA 14 (real hardware)
- Dead Rising 3 (PC)
- Lococycle (PC)
- Crimson Dragon (PC)

It is not the 99%.

Yes, that is the case.

However, this has been discussed to death in the other thread, so let's not be bringing that up in here outside of setting the record straight. Thanks.

I thought the PS4 with PSEye only tracked the controller's colored light for splitscreen? It didn't track the person using facial recognition, because that's how the XB1 worked with Kinect. So not only does Kinect track the controller, it also tracks the person. And it can do it in the dark too. The Kinect does provide for an experience that the PS4 doesn't have. To say otherwise is just spreading FUD.

Tommy McClain

I thought the PS4 with PSEye only tracked the controller's colored light for splitscreen? It didn't track the person using facial recognition, because that's how the XB1 worked with Kinect. So not only does Kinect track the controller, it also tracks the person. And it can do it in the dark too. The Kinect does provide for an experience that the PS4 doesn't have. To say otherwise is just spreading FUD.

Tommy McClain

We dont know much about the PSeye. They showed nothing unfortunately. So we dont know what it can and cant do. Yes. The example Sony mentioned about split screen worked by identifying the light bar.. But any game that requires a controller wont make a difference to the user whether its the light bar or the face it recognizes when the result is the same.
If we are talking about other features and possibilities of course thats a different matter

Tommy McClain

Here is a video demoing the ps4 eye. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo
It does way more than just track the colored light.

Tommy McClain
Face tracking isn't hard as long as there's enough light, although at this point we don't know if Sony support that at the OS level or not. As for the point being disputed, there's no difference in tracking controller or player when it comes to solving the crippling issue of players swapping seats that has plagued gamers and rendered split-screen gaming such a miserable chore (ie. is this really an issue that needs solving?!). The end result is effectively the same - the person on the left plays in the left side of the screen for both XB1 and PSEye-equipped PS4s (as demoed. Might a game-level thing rather than OS level for all we know).

Noooo, not another poll 8-(

It depends on what you're going to buy, but I guess you signed the "I'm a true gamer, I'm gonna buy both" option in the other poll about intended purchases, and are not a valid target of this poll (unless you are abandoning one of the platforms next-gen).

Whichever option makes MS look worse, after all B3D is a pro-Sony site.

What I don't get is those people who have said "Why would anybody on B3D want the MS console when the Sony console is so clearly superior, isn't this a tech site?"

Sure. It is. But some of us like tech that goes BEYOND just graphics (see what I did there?). The One was (with a big emphasis on WAS), offering a way to share digital content, to multi task, to interact with all of our media in a completely different way via Kinect2. It was going to change the entire gaming experience.

And for those who don't think the "media" and "entertainment" features of the One would have an impact on the gaming experience, I've got one thing to say to you: Cross Game Party Chat.

Something that has nothing to do with the hardware specs or the "power" of the 360, yet something that makes the entire game playing experience far more enjoyable. It raises the game playing experience, although it technically has no impact on the game itself.

The ability to be playing a game and then quickly snap it into a corner while you bring up ESPN to watch the last 2 minutes of the Cowboys/Redskins game? Huge. If I'm playing a turn based game now, say, Civ Revolutions, and I want to go see if the Cowboys lost their lead because Tony Romo threw his 4th interception, I have to change inputs on my TV and I have to wait while my TV switches. Conversely, if I'm watching Tony Romo get sacked for the 5th time because he can't make decisions quickly enough on who to throw to, and I know there's going to be a time out, if I want to switch back to my 360 to go play a couple of turns of CIV revolutions, by the time my TV switches back and forth, I've already missed not only the commercial break but also the next two downs.

These features would so completely augment the game playing experience, that I don't understand people who are repeatedly bashing them. The only thing I can think of is that they don't have Live! and they haven't actually experienced Cross Game Party Chat to understand how features that go beyond graphic fidelity can have a much larger impact on the gaming experience.

Back