Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You would think that Xbox gamers wouldn't change, because the XBL ties they have would be hard to transfer over to PSN.

That and if they liked the exclusives like Halo, it seems even more unlikely.

No BC
Weak Hardware
Higher Price
Required Kinect Hookup
Bungie-less Halo
CliffyB-less Gears

XBL transfer to ps4 is hardly any more difficult than it would be to new xbone.

The choice is rather obvious.

The laptop I have now outputs quite a bit better graphics than both the 360 and PS3 maybe even not too far from the next gen and I have to say that is quite good for now. I will wait a bit and see what happens to some of the MS exclusives I am interested in, whether they will land in PCland or not. I might get an Xb1 after a price cut and if there are any children friendly kinect games...

nV Shield, right? ;)

If you're not tied to exclusives enough to stick with a platform moving to PC isn't a difficult transition. It also comes with a convenience cost, but for someone like me the actual dollar cost to outperform consoles for the next 5-8 years is nothing as my current PC will have no problem doing that.

Maybe someone will be able to push the consoles ahead into the digital era before the current paradigm is dead. Maybe it will be products like the shield that actually do it, but I have my doubts.

My thread about switching to PC suggests otherwise for all but solo/online gamers. Couch coop and the like tend to be under-represented on PC. There's a whole thread about that, of course. Just to say there is no 'obvious' choice. Every options has pros and cons and has to be sensibly evaluated (preferably without fanboys presenting biased representations ;))

My thread about switching to PC suggests otherwise for all but solo/online gamers. Couch coop and the like tend to be under-represented on PC. There's a whole thread about that, of course. Just to say there is no 'obvious' choice. Every options has pros and cons and has to be sensibly evaluated (preferably without fanboys presenting biased representations ;))

Sure I'm giving up something to gain something. That's the way it works. Those that wanted their slightly faster horse won out and if that's all I'm going to get from consoles this gen my horse will have 2560x1600 resolution and 4xAA at 60fps. 99% of my play fell into single online anyway. Maybe I'll spend my $500 on a good chair for gaming in front of my 30" monitor.

Now they just need to do another reveal and leave out all the 'console of the future' talk. After all this is now the XBox180 the XBox360 v2.0 but with less going for it this generation than the 360 had. No year head start, no overpriced competition, no hardware advantage...

I guess they will still get good traction in the American market but if they continue to devalue the USP then they will be dependant on exclusive content and first party support. Of course they will buy this kind of support as they can, but it could start to be a very costly generation for them.

first two are true, but i also think things are different now. playstation and xbox are basically equals in all areas, or start on equal footing, where it wasn't at all the case in 2005-6, where PlayStation was the 800 lb gorrilla, the defending champ.

microsoft decisions have arguably not been good but the much vaunted power edge for ps4 didn't show up at all at e3 which is huge as well. they have bf4 and cod now as xbox branded, the list goes on. at the end of the day the drm stuff wont matter imo.

they wont let themselves fall too far, if xb1 goes over like a lead balloon they'll just cut the price until it doesn't. the key imo is the games looked super nice at e3.

imo it might have been better envisioned as a 299/399 games box with a 2D camera and voice recognition, but forget the expensive depth sensing.

it's #1 on amazon at 499. i think at 399 like the competition, on even price footing, who knows where it would be. which too me says a lot given the incessant internet backlash.

It was number 1 on amazon for a bit since the day one editions of PS4 sold out in like 2 days. Also it's one unit up against the competitor's product divided into 6 skews including one that has been sold out since it's become available. The amazon ranking actually hasn't changed since the policy shift.

It was number 1 on amazon for a bit since the day one editions of PS4 sold out in like 2 days. Also it's one unit up against the competitor's product divided into 6 skews including one that has been sold out since it's become available. The amazon ranking actually hasn't changed since the policy shift.

right. despite all the caveats it's not bad.

News and Rumors: seems Amazon has sent preorders a email updating Xbone release date to Nov 27. Scuttlebutt on neogaf says this may be more than a typical placeholder date (not one of the typical placeholder dates I think), IE, it could be the real release date.

kind of late if true, like everything in videogames they take as absolutely long as possible. you're nearly into December.

Thanksgiving is the 28th, so it would be early enough in the States.
Pretty much anywhere else in the world you just need to be on the shelves by XMas.
But I'd expect them to try and get earlier if they can.

Will CoD fans wait? :p Or do they expect the early adopters to be a different breed of consumers? (Why not hit them all at once?)

Thanksgiving is the 28th, so it would be early enough in the States.
Pretty much anywhere else in the world you just need to be on the shelves by XMas.
But I'd expect them to try and get earlier if they can.

yes i bet it will be ~nov 15 after reading gaf. they wont want to miss cod/bf/fifa as was pointed out.

I suppose it could be argued that the folks who are rushing to spend lol-dollars on Black Friday are the "casuals", so they'd have to rely on the new IPs/platform exclusives that much more (and just expect crap sales of cross-generation titles :???: ).

first two are true, but i also think things are different now. playstation and xbox are basically equals in all areas, or start on equal footing, where it wasn't at all the case in 2005-6, where PlayStation was the 800 lb gorrilla, the defending champ.

This is true I guess but in a way the PS is still the defending champ having overtaken the XB in global sales. It's just the perception that has changed.

microsoft decisions have arguably not been good but the much vaunted power edge for ps4 didn't show up at all at e3 which is huge as well. they have bf4 and cod now as xbox branded, the list goes on. at the end of the day the drm stuff wont matter imo.

I think they have, in a few short months, developed a whole new level to the FUBAR launch...
I honestly don't think that the E3 showing was truly representative of where Sony and MS are at. 99% of MS's games demos were running on PC's, admittedly 'specced' to the same level, and far more stable because of that. I think that was a decision taken to show the XBone off in the best light because of the positive media advantage the PS4 already had. Sony took the step of running all their demos on PS4 hardware, probably because of the KZ2 fiasco. Also until very recently the PS4 only had 4Gb of memory in play whereas the MS devs have been targeting 8Gb all along.

they wont let themselves fall too far, if xb1 goes over like a lead balloon they'll just cut the price until it doesn't. the key imo is the games looked super nice at e3.

imo it might have been better envisioned as a 299/399 games box with a 2D camera and voice recognition, but forget the expensive depth sensing.

Considering the slow decline of the PC market, the erosion of MS's cash cows, and the move away from monolithic single layer systems, I think that MS is pretty desperate to get into a market that could see rapid growth through multi layer connectivity where, for all intents and purposes, they only have a single competitor. I think they'll do everything they can to remain relevant in this space. No matter the cost.

it's #1 on amazon at 499. i think at 399 like the competition, on even price footing, who knows where it would be. which too me says a lot given the incessant internet backlash.

There is a quote floating around, supposedly from an Amazon rep at E3, who said that PS4 pre-orders were in the region of 7:1. If that was the case you can see why MS made such a massive change to policy.

I honestly don't think that the E3 showing was truly representative of where Sony and MS are at. 99% of MS's games demos were running on PC's, admittedly 'specced' to the same level, and far more stable because of that. I think that was a decision taken to show the XBone off in the best light because of the positive media advantage the PS4 already had. Sony took the step of running all their demos on PS4 hardware, probably because of the KZ2 fiasco. Also until very recently the PS4 only had 4Gb of memory in play whereas the MS devs have been targeting 8Gb all along.

That's not true.

The 100% demos:

- Forza 5 (real hardware)
- Ryse (real hardware)
- Killer Instinct (real hardware)
- Project Spark (real hardware)
- FIFA 14 (real hardware)
- Dead Rising 3 (PC)
- Lococycle (PC)
- Crimson Dragon (PC)

It is not the 99%.

More positive things Microsoft didn't focus on.

Article: 10 unique features of the Xbox One.

1) Kinect is pretty incredible this time around

2) Splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated.

One of the most exciting "why didn't anyone think of this before" features that Microsoft told us about regarded the system's ability to configure the sides of a splitscreen game based on where the players are sitting in a room.

Because the Xbox One controller has an IR sensor in the top and the Kinect picks up on its whereabouts, future games can set up splitscreen matches without the hassle of switching seats.

3) Kinect included means 100% of people have it. YAY!

4) Xbox One gamepad tweaked to near-perfection

5) 15 exclusive games in the first year

6) Still has Call of Duty DLC as a timed-exclusive

7) Xbox One multitasking is slick

8) SmartGlass, Twitch integration are established

9) Xbox One cloud.

10) Achievements are carried over from 360

Read more:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...ox-one-features-you-should-know-about-1160781

Yes!! no kinect. That would be awesome. They have yet shown a reason for it to be force in..

RIGHT! YEAH!

MS should so totally take Kinect out of every One console and then lower the price by $100. Combine that with their backpeddling on the DRM policies and how digital media are handled and you've got a PS4!

It's like SUPER HAPPY FUN DAY for everybody, because now the One and the PS4 are the exact same console, and the only difference is that the One has eSRAM feeding lower latency DDR3 while the PS4 uses larger bandwith but higher latency GDDR5.

The only other difference is going to be which company spent more money buying exclusives, because otherwise, the consoles are just about god damn identical.

So yes. BRILLIANT idea.

It's always the best business plan to not try to differentiate yourself from your competitors.

Back