Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That would make sense, it'd be far too good a feature if you could share games with any 10 people.

Having them tied to the same Gold account makes it problematic for people who aren't family to save money in this way - since only one person will be paying for (and so controlling) everyone's IDs.

It is apparently any 10 people, with something about them being on your friends list for at least 30 days. They don't have to be members of the same household or on the same gold account.

It is apparently any 10 people, with something about them being on your friends list for at least 30 days. They don't have to be members of the same household or on the same gold account.

You sure? Remember at the beggining of the generation PS3 DRM for digital games allowed you to share the game with another 5 people and Sony had to take out because of publishers complains. Sounds too good to be true.

You sure? Remember at the beggining of the generation PS3 DRM for digital games allowed you to share the game with another 5 people and Sony had to take out because of publishers complains. Sounds too good to be true.

Yes, but it seems only one person can access the shared copy of a single game at any given time, but you can still access all of your own shared games.
"Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you."

In addition, Xbox One "will enable new forms of access for families" via Xbox Live regardless of location. "Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend's house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games."

By the sounds of it, you'll also be able to play your games in one place while family members are playing them in another. "You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/55479/a-new-era-xbox-ones-pre-owned-and-game-licensing-policies-explained/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/

For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's house—I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

You'll be able to link other Xbox Live accounts as having shared access to your library when you first set up a system and will also be able to add them later on (though specific details of how you manage these relationships is still not being discussed). The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time.

Where is No I will buy both button?
I will stick with the Xbox brand and Xbox One is going to be my principal console, but I also want to play all PS4 exclusives 3-4 years from now, so for the second time around in a generation I am planning on having two consoles.

In the PS2 era I had my first console ever, the Xbox, and also the Gamecube. A brother of mine had the PS2 too, so I didn't miss out. Some of my friends had the PS2 too.

XBOX and 360 user since day one , i'm done with MS .
I'm going to stick to my pc for the time being and play all my backlog catalogue from my 360/ps3 .
I'm going to get a PS4 maybe after a year - the XBONE might be an option when it goes for $250 and have all the DRM removed .

That would be really good if true - I wonder what the catch is. :???:
Otherwise MS can let any 10 people share their game library, which more than makes up for not being able to lend games or sell used games on eBay etc.

I actually think I might wait until the first DF Face Offs come out to see how big the disparity in graphics is between the two machines - I'm hearing it might not be as big as we think and it looks on paper.

I also find Kinect pretty cool and Forza 5 at launch is hard to resist, much better than waiting who knows how many years for GT7.

But then Sony has such a stellar lineup of 1P devs and I don't want to miss out on Uncharted 4 etc.

Sigh, decisions, decisions.

I really want to avoid getting both machines again though, will eat up far too much of my time if I'm able to play exclusives on both systems.

What is my point? My point is - I think, Microsoft success with Xbox One is not a sure thing. PS4 seems it will be able to capture many of the core-gamers - a market that surely must be at least the size they sold the PS3 to. It seems, many PS3 owners will likely upgrade and perhaps gain some at the expense of Microsofts marketshare. On the other hand, Microsoft might be able to expand by catering to a larger casual, tech-orientated market. Maybe I'm wrong, and Microsoft will be able to capture both markets - the casual one AND the fanbase it sold to with the X360. If they do this, this could be a major success - although I think the price-point might be difficult and this time, they will not have a headstart of being the only next-gen console on the market exclusively (assuming they do both launch without delay and within each other).

It's going to be very interesting.

I'm not sure that is necessarily going to be the case. I know a lot of people that bought the PS3 primarily as a BluRay player some bought games some didn't. As a point of reference I know more people that bought a PS3 for that purpose than bought an X360 for Netflix primarily.

Those are obviously not core gamers and won't be influenced by hardware specs or what is bandied about on internet forums. Likely used game resale is a non-issue for them as they don't resell anything they buy or buy used media.

If the primary purpose that you bought a console for was for the home entertainment value, then the Xbox One may end up being a more compelling choice. I can certainly see a lot of the people that bought a PS3 as a BluRay player potentially picking up the Xbox One if it does indeed offer something polished, highly integrated and new for the Living Room beyond just games. And the Kinect voice navigation and gesture navigation will be new to people that bought a PS3 as a BluRay player and never got an X360.

In a situation like that, it wouldn't even matter to MS if they didn't buy many games or any games at all. As they will be relying on those people to buy/rent VOD/Music/Skype credits/etc.

One thing is for sure though. It is certainly going to be interesting.

I can certainly see a situation where PS4 ends up with the majority of core gamers while the Xbox One ends up with the exact same or greater hardware install base but with a mix of core, casual, and non-gamers. I could also see a situation where they don't if MS fails to offer a compelling Living Room experience and somehow multiplatform games offer a significant visual upgrade on the PS4, although I seriously can't see that last bit happening.

I can also see Xbox One appealing more to females while PS4 appeals more to males.

Regards,
SB

I got a PS3 after they'd mostly sorted out the crap and was quite happy with it. I've got no reason to switch. The PS4 looks like more of that, and the Xbone looks like a more expensive, less powerful, more annoying console.

While I wish there wasn't a power gap between the PS4 and Xbox One, I'm sticking with MS again.

The games they showed appeal to me more and I want Kinect 2.

IMO it's more likely that the console with the most features will have fresher gameplay than simply the console with more flops.

I've stayed with Sony, but i think there is a bit too much negativety surrounding the xboxone. It's a good machine with some great games and very interesting ones i didn't see coming, who knows what other exclusives ms can buy up( Personaly i think exclusive content should be against the law but thats another thread).

Ms have bitten the bullet and have to go with their idea of the future, in doing so they've ruffled some feathers and lost some market share but How much will they gain if they can pull it off- only time will tell.

Im going to see how some of their games come up, I might even buy my first Xbox.

...I can also see Xbox One appealing more to females while PS4 appeals more to males.

From what I can see, the content offered would suggest the exact opposite.

My wife was much more interested in the Sony exclusives on ps3 than xb360 this gen and that will likely continue for ps4.

Being able to change the channel with voice is a cool feature, but hardly a reason to drop $500. The interactive content of the platform will be what moves consoles, and in that experience, xbone will be coming up short in head to head comps.

For exclusives, that is a matter of personal opinion. For my wife, it would be ps4. For me, it would be a toss up. Bungie isn't Exclusive anymore, and Cliffy B. @ Epic isn't either. Neither is a Mass Effect type trilogy nor a promising TooHuman type title. Or a Bioshock.

Those exclusive titles/developers circa 2005 were compelling enough reasons to hitch up with the xbox camp. These days, it seems they are all multiplat and what's left of exclusive talented devs are mostly in Sony's camp.

Which just so happen to have a more powerful platform to code to, better DRM practices, and best of all, a $100 lower price point.

But getting back to your point, I'd say Sony has fostered many more titles which appeal to female audiences over the years than MS. I fully expect that trend to continue. The only basis for which I'd see females en mass to lean xbox would be the tv interaction, but for ease of tv interaction, I'd say a much more reasonable option would just be a harmony remote. ;)

From what I can see, the content offered would suggest the exact opposite.

My wife was much more interested in the Sony exclusives on ps3 than xb360 this gen and that will likely continue for ps4.

Being able to change the channel with voice is a cool feature, but hardly a reason to drop $500. The interactive content of the platform will be what moves consoles, and in that experience, xbone will be coming up short in head to head comps.

For exclusives, that is a matter of personal opinion. For my wife, it would be ps4. For me, it would be a toss up. Bungie isn't Exclusive anymore, and Cliffy B. @ Epic isn't either. Neither is a Mass Effect type trilogy nor a promising TooHuman type title. Or a Bioshock.

Those exclusive titles/developers circa 2005 were compelling enough reasons to hitch up with the xbox camp. These days, it seems they are all multiplat and what's left of exclusive talented devs are mostly in Sony's camp.

Which just so happen to have a more powerful platform to code to, better DRM practices, and best of all, a $100 lower price point.

But getting back to your point, I'd say Sony has fostered many more titles which appeal to female audiences over the years than MS. I fully expect that trend to continue. The only basis for which I'd see females en mass to lean xbox would be the tv interaction, but for ease of tv interaction, I'd say a much more reasonable option would just be a harmony remote. ;)

I think a harmony remote is a cruel punishment to inflict on anyone living with you. To a tech guy/gal, it seems simple, to a lay person their first thought is "SO MANY BUTTONS!" :LOL:

I think a harmony remote is a cruel punishment to inflict on anyone living with you. To a tech guy/gal, it seems simple, to a lay person their first thought is "SO MANY BUTTONS!" :LOL:

LOL

Indeed Harmony can be intimidating, but sticking with the main activities, it is much simpler than having a half dozen remotes and know what inputs need to be changed etc.

I set one up for my mother in law, she loves it.

So.. how many of the 20 switching to PS4 are now going back to Xbox in light of the news? Let's get a feel for how much DRM really affected you guys now that it's gone :)

(((interference))), Alkohallick, Boke, Dr Evil, Florin, function, HTupolev, James Car, jayco, Kameradschaft, Kb-Smoker, kots, McHuj, menmau, Nisaaru, scooby_dooby, snarfbot, thatdude90210, valioso, Vardant

I think a couple of new polls would be prudent: was the MS decision correct? & update on the are you going to change your platform?

Tommy McClain

I think a couple of new polls would be prudent: was the MS decision correct? & update on the are you going to change your platform?

Tommy McClain

The problem is that that kind of poll would be limited to those that had already made a concious decision to get one platform over the other. But yes, I wish Microsoft hadn't changed their restriction, if only because my poll would be a bit more representative. :p

But I think this poll is still interesting, because I'm sure not everyone voted to *change* for the sole reason of DRM. There's also Kinect and the trade-off of focusing on multiple OS and TV-features (hence using more RAM for OS) as well as going with 8 GB of DDR3 and therefore using eSRAM at the expense of GPU logic.

I intended to get both, but I'm increasingly waiting for Microsoft to convince me that I want to spend that 499 on their console rather than, say, a new TV (our living-room TV is still 768p) or another iPad (my wife wants one for herself).

I'm still waiting for them to:
- show me good software for Kinect 2.0
- prove to me that it will work in our cramped livingroom
- show to me how WinRT turns out on 360 and that it was worth sacrificing memory and having the dual OS setup for
- show me that I don't in fact need to buy ANOTHER wheel for Forza
- prove to me that Live Gold is worth it in Europe this time (because it sure as hell wasn't for me in the last two gens)

I was reluctant getting a 360 last gen (after having a PS2 and Xbox the gen before as well), but got a good deal from someone who won one (basically half price for the 'Pro' model), and have enjoyed some games on it (PGR3, Forza 3-4, Trials HD primarily). This time I was fairly convinced I'd want both day one, but I'm getting more and more doubts.

What I want MS to release is a dead simple box that you plug into the TV and a controller. The only thing it runs is Halo via DD. Nothing else. I'd happily a £150 plus the cost of each Halo as it arrives.

That's all I want from MS, I can get everything else either on the PS4 or the PC e.g. Titanfall etc

So.. how many of the 20 switching to PS4 are now going back to Xbox in light of the news? Let's get a feel for how much DRM really affected you guys now that it's gone :)

I have a pre-order for an X1 right now. I put one in when the news was breaking. I want a new console this year, but I'll get only get one.

I'm going to see how things shake out over the summer, Gamescom, and then TGS. I'm still leaning to getting the PS4, but I could be convinced otherwise. I'd like to see if Kinect can do anything for a core game. I'm not interested in it's media control capabilities nor primarily Kinect-only games, but I want to see if Kinect has anything to offer the core gamer. To what I value in core games, I need to see that the $100 price difference is worth it.

From Sony, I want them to show me more exclusives before launch. They claimed 20-some were in development, but I think we only saw a handful (Driveclub, Infamous, Killzone, Order, Knack, right?).

You would think that Xbox gamers wouldn't change, because the XBL ties they have would be hard to transfer over to PSN.

That and if they liked the exclusives like Halo, it seems even more unlikely.

Back