Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As for the point being disputed, there's no difference in tracking controller or player when it comes to solving the crippling issue of players swapping seats that has plagued gamers and rendered split-screen gaming such a miserable chore (ie. is this really an issue that needs solving?!). .

I would say removing the need to worry about controllers, players and seat position is indeed important. Would I pay an extra 50 to 100 bucks to not have to worry about, probably not, but at least it's a known issue that plagues most folks to one extent or the other.

A high quality AAA boxing simulation!

yeah this type of use case it where the Kinect may be able to shine. I suggested an MS Wizard Simulator ( not unlike Flight Simulator ) where specific gesture and incantations can be used to cast spell or some such. Tracking what the human body does accurately is already accomplished, turning that facility into a game that tens of millions will buy is another question.

In terms of body tracking ( 1 person say ) I wonder how much better the kinect is compared to the PS Eye ( similar lighting of course, kinect has IR ) ?

These features would so completely augment the game playing experience, that I don't understand people who are repeatedly bashing them. The only thing I can think of is that they don't have Live! and they haven't actually experienced Cross Game Party Chat to understand how features that go beyond graphic fidelity can have a much larger impact on the gaming experience.

It's not about bashing things. It about choices and engineering compromises that have to be made because of those choices. MS chose to make a hybrid gaming/computing/TV device and made some compromises to the gaming part of things as a result. This is not the wrong thing to do but if gaming is the thing you are going to be using it for then you might cast a critical eye on those compromises.

We don't don't know how the kinect or pseye will add to the gaming experience, we don't know how the engineering compromises made by the XB1 will affect the gaming experience relative to the PS4 in say cross-platform games. Lots of people won't care one way or the other and will choose a machine based on price/functionality or legacy online stuff.

I would say removing the need to worry about controllers, players and seat position is indeed important.
To date, you just start splitscreen in the order you want, or swap controllers at the beginning of the game and be done with it. This live-tracking, so when you swap positions the screen swaps too, is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. How often do players swap positions/controllers mid game? The only time I ever recall swapping controllers mid-game is playing LBP to help someone past a difficult bit, and that game isn't split screen.

To date, you just start splitscreen in the order you want, or swap controllers at the beginning of the game and be done with it. This live-tracking, so when you swap positions the screen swaps too, is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. How often do players swap positions/controllers mid game? The only time I ever recall swapping controllers mid-game is playing LBP to help someone past a difficult bit, and that game isn't split screen.

Well I was thinking more in general terms rather than splitscreen only. I mean you could have more than 2 people switching in and out of 2 persons games ( game controllers being passed around during a fighting game for instance ) or some other issue involving managing who has what controller in relation to what's going on in the game.

I just think it is one of those things that you don't think about ... until you don't HAVE to think about it and then you don't want to have to think about it again ... and may pay not to :)

It's not about bashing things. It about choices and engineering compromises that have to be made because of those choices. MS chose to make a hybrid gaming/computing/TV device and made some compromises to the gaming part of things as a result. This is not the wrong thing to do but if gaming is the thing you are going to be using it for then you might cast a critical eye on those compromises.

We don't don't know how the kinect or pseye will add to the gaming experience, we don't know how the engineering compromises made by the XB1 will affect the gaming experience relative to the PS4 in say cross-platform games. Lots of people won't care one way or the other and will choose a machine based on price/functionality or legacy online stuff.

I agree with everything you've said except your opening sentence. It's clear that it is about bashing the choices that MS made with the One. MS was trying to transition not only into an always online and always digital console, but also one that actually takes over the living room. Sony, on the other hand, decided not to go that route (although ultimately they have the same goal in mind), and instead offered a PS3+ in the form of the PS4. It's the same thing, with a little 360/Live! thrown in, and better graphics which is hardly a keystone considering it's 8 years later and graphics have to get better just through natural progression.

Nobody who hasn't actually paid for Live! and used it long enough understands the benefits that it provides over PSN or PC networking. Those that have, however, realize the benefits and keep paying for it. Sony realized this was possible, and that's why they are charging for similar capabilities on the PS4. Oh, and saying that these things are revolutionary when they are currently available now on their competitor's system.

Well I was thinking more in general terms rather than splitscreen only. I mean you could have more than 2 people switching in and out of 2 persons games ( game controllers being passed around during a fighting game for instance )
In those cases, the player goes to the controller, although I haven't known hot-seating since PS2 days.

Do families game together? In the US at least, the kids get their own TVs in their own rooms, often with their own consoles.

Do adults get together to play video games?

Do they still make as many video games with split screen modes?

except your opening sentence. It's clear that it is about bashing the choices that MS made with the One. MS was trying to transition not only into an always online and always digital console, but also one that actually takes over the living room.

When the PS3 and PSP came out I complained that they were making choices to create a BluRay, UMD and Memory Stick injection systems instead of gaming systems. Now MS is making a MS Living Room Injection system rather than a gaming one. It's not bashing to complain something isn't providing some known value at the expense of things that do.

Nobody who hasn't actually paid for Live! and used it long enough understands the benefits that it provides over PSN or PC networking. Those that have, however, realize the benefits and keep paying for it. Sony realized this was possible, and that's why they are charging for similar capabilities on the PS4.

If you want people to trust you enough to buy your product in a mature market then saying "just trust us you will like it" isn't the way. Being evasive about controversial plans isn't the way either. Steve Jobs can get away with saying People Don't Know What They Want is one thing, it's quite another for that to becomes a mantra for everyone.

Oh, and saying that these things are revolutionary when they are currently available now on their competitor's system.

Now who's bashing.:p Find me Microsoft Halo ( not the game ), Harp and Angel Wings and then get back to me.

Do families game together? In the US at least, the kids get their own TVs in their own rooms, often with their own consoles.

Do adults get together to play video games?

Do they still make as many video games with split screen modes?
http://www.co-optimus.com/

And look at the response to things like the announcement of local coop for Diablo 3 on consoles. And look at any Nintendo advert! Local coop is quite possibly more important now than ever before, with gaming becoming more mainstream and not just the domain of teenagers in bedrooms.

Sure. It is. But some of us like tech that goes BEYOND just graphics (see what I did there?). The One was (with a big emphasis on WAS), offering a way to share digital content, to multi task, to interact with all of our media in a completely different way via Kinect2. It was going to change the entire gaming experience.

These features would so completely augment the game playing experience, that I don't understand people who are repeatedly bashing them. The only thing I can think of is that they don't have Live! and they haven't actually experienced Cross Game Party Chat to understand how features that go beyond graphic fidelity can have a much larger impact on the gaming experience.

I can understand that some people may want those features , ok ... but why can't have both ?
If those features come at the expense of graphics , i don't want them .
Microsoft should add things , not subtract from gaming hardware .

Here is a video demoing the ps4 eye. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo
It does way more than just track the colored light.

While educational I wasn't disputing those AR tracking features. I specifically talking about the Kinect's ability to associate your login with your face & associating the controller with you. I was not aware of PS4 & PS4 Eye being able to do that.

Face tracking isn't hard as long as there's enough light, although at this point we don't know if Sony support that at the OS level or not. As for the point being disputed, there's no difference in tracking controller or player when it comes to solving the crippling issue of players swapping seats that has plagued gamers and rendered split-screen gaming such a miserable chore (ie. is this really an issue that needs solving?!). The end result is effectively the same - the person on the left plays in the left side of the screen for both XB1 and PSEye-equipped PS4s (as demoed. Might a game-level thing rather than OS level for all we know).

It seems I'm having a hard time explaining the differences between what Kinect is doing & the PS4 with PS4 Eye. Did you watch the video I gave? I think if you had you would see what I'm talking about.

It's not just about seeing the controller in your hand & associating that controller with whatever side of the screen they are on. It's tracking the face AND doing facial recognition to determine your account AND tracking which controller is associated with that face & that account. And it's doing that in real-time all the time, no matter where you are & whether or not there is enough light. It means you do not have to "login" anymore. Kinect recognizes your face, signs you in & then keeps track of where you are in the room & keeps track of which controller you have in your hand. For anybody that has played any number of family party-type games this is a Godsend. There always people & kids swapping seats & controllers throughout the game. With this, there's no signing out of your account & signing somebody else in. There's no worry that somebody is earning achievements on an account that's not yours. It just works. So again, this is something that I think Sony has not shown that they are doing with PS4 Eye. I believe this is one of the unique features of Kinect. It might not be a big feature for some of you, but I think it's pretty cool.

If you guys still don't get it, then I'm sorry. I'll go back to lurking.

Tommy McClain

This board has always had a Europe slant more so than US. With that most people pick the Playstation.

Tommy McClain

I hope you understand why this is the case. The MS reveal was only targeted at the US market, with Europe being treated as the unwanted itching on the balls.

Features being not available for a year, if ever, and with whole European countries being ignored for Xbox Live support at all (e.g. Poland, Hungary, Portugal etc ).

I know that you US people love your country and are proud of everything and favor US products. But I really scratch my head and wonder when you guys, when especially global US corporations like MS realize that there are other people living on earth and that it might be smart to target them as well...because, hey, we have money as well!!! (Although not Dollars, I admit).

It seems I'm having a hard time explaining the differences between what Kinect is doing & the PS4 with PS4 Eye. Did you watch the video I gave? I think if you had you would see what I'm talking about.

It's not just about seeing the controller in your hand & associating that controller with whatever side of the screen they are on. It's tracking the face AND doing facial recognition to determine your account AND tracking which controller is associated with that face & that account...
I understand that, but that's somewhat different to the point raised. Cyan posted an article, "10 unique features to XB1". Point 2 was "Splitscreen seat-switching can be eliminated." That is not unique. In fact reading the source article, which doesn't claim these are unique features, they say the controller has an IR LED that is being tracked by Kinect, so it's basically working in the same way as PS4's controller tracking. Hell, the article even says Ps4 has the same ability, which makes me question why Cyan titled his post "unique things about XB1".

What you are describing is automatic player login when hot-seating, which possibly is unique, but that's a different feature to the one being argued against. ;)

I hope you understand why this is the case. The MS reveal was only targeted at the US market, with Europe being treated as the unwanted itching on the balls.

Features being not available for a year, if ever, and with whole European countries being ignored for Xbox Live support at all (e.g. Poland, Hungary, Portugal etc ).

I know that you US people love your country and are proud of everything and favor US products. But I really scratch my head and wonder when you guys, when especially global US corporations like MS realize that there are other people living on earth and that it might be smart to target them as well...because, hey, we have money as well!!! (Although not Dollars, I admit).

Oh I understand why & I don't necessarily blame you guys. I was just trying to say that the heavy Playstation bias in this forum can't be denied. For me personally it was never about picking the Xbox because it was an American product. It was mainly due to the fact that I was mainly a PC gamer up til then & it felt more like a PC & had the type of games I liked. Granted as time went on it diverged from feeling like a PC, but by then I was already converted & there was no going back. That's another reason I won't switch to another platform: the games. As for Microsoft not supporting more countries, I see it like this: MS wants the console to have a specific feature set & certain kinds of contents. With that design, it's hard to get that to work in every territory since each have their own laws & regulations. That doesn't mean they couldn't do better, because I totally agree they could. So far they seem to support the countries of least resistance like UK & Canada. Easier to do that when English is your primary language. We will ever see more support for non-English countries? At this rate I would say no, but you never know. Maybe at Gamescom we'll be surprised?

Tommy McClain

Oh I understand why & I don't necessarily blame you guys. I was just trying to say that the heavy Playstation bias in this forum can't be denied.
But is it a bias if the criticism is justified?
Before the next gen unveiling I cant remember the B3D forums favoring one console over the other, except some people feeling that way whenever the console they didnt prefer got some praise either because of a good exclusive game or because of some feature.

Back