Anyone with experience using 28" monitors

I'm thinking about joining the 21st century via Samsung's 275T.
The reviews are almost universally glowing but I'm not certain of some aspects of it relative to my current CRT, a Sony G520.

Firstly, I'm one of those weirdo's who prefers to sit in the dark without any room lighting (when it's night time obviously) but some of what I've read suggest LCD's in general are too bright for this. True or not? As a reference point I'm running my CRT at 8000K with Picture Effect set to Standard. Dynamic is too bright and Professional is too dim.

Secondly, one of the reviews I've read made the point that pixel pitch on a 28" monitor is a little to coarse to the point of being distracting. Is this analogous to running my G520 at 1280 x 1024, which as I'm getting older would actually be good, or with LCD's pixels being physically hard wired would the image actually appear somewhat blocky.

Lastly, I'm still slightly apprehensive about making the jump to LCD with issues such as ghosting and lag. Reviewers seem to have consigned these faults to history but I still have doubts lingereing without actual hands on experience (not just two minutes in a shop).

I'd also like to point out I'm not interested in buying a 30" monitor for the simple reason of the SLI/Crossfire GPU power required to drive one, and associated cost, heat and noise. I expect to be runing a single RV670XT if they perform as is being hinted at.

Any constructive responses are welcome.

watching movies with friends in the dark on a crappy laptop's screen was the worst experience ever :) (hard to watch the screen straight from the right angle in those conditions though).
you probably won't be pleased with the backlight bleeding and lack of dynamics in the blacks and dark tints. I have no experience with the big and recent LCDs but I doubt they overcome their weaknesses in what's the worst condition for them.. (and the big size might exacerbate the problem). maybe you should think off lighting that room with a few LEDs, that should be geeky and low power.

as for the dot pitch a 27" should be similar to a 1280x1024 19" LCD or a 22". a 19" shouldn't be hard to come by, yes the razor sharp pixels mean it's slightly blocky and you're gonna choose a fixed dpi to live with. I'd be more interesting in a 24" and it might be huge enough for a PC monitor anyway.

I LOVE THAT ZERO PIXEL DEFECT POLICY!!!!!!!

dot pitch shouldn't be that big of a deal, unless you have eagle-eye vision.

never bothered me...

Will you be using the monitor for viewing or gaming?

For viewing it's fine You can always calibrate the panel if it's too bright for your taste.

I mean, they're not obscenely bright, just a tad brighter than a CRT (IMO)

If it's for gaming, 6ms is kind of pushing it... coz sometimes I see ghosting on a 4ms screen...

I LOVE THAT ZERO PIXEL DEFECT POLICY!!!!!!!

dot pitch shouldn't be that big of a deal, unless you have eagle-eye vision.

never bothered me...

Will you be using the monitor for viewing or gaming?

For viewing it's fine You can always calibrate the panel if it's too bright for your taste.

I mean, they're not obscenely bright, just a tad brighter than a CRT (IMO)

If it's for gaming, 6ms is kind of pushing it... coz sometimes I see ghosting on a 4ms screen...

If you see ghosting on a 4ms screen then it's not really 4ms. I don't see ghosting on my 16ms screen.

If you see ghosting on a 4ms screen then it's not really 4ms. I don't see ghosting on my 16ms screen.

really????

is your frame rate really fast?

coz on the 4ms, if my frame rate goes above the 100s, (specially on doom3), I see that darn ghosting effect.

The usual gammut of desktop duties, a bit of casual gaming, probably a few DVD's.

The trouble with carefully researching each purchase is just when you think you've settled on someting, an even newer and shinier offering comes along...

either one of those monitor should be fine :)

I could totally relate!
specially when I was trying to pick a new gaming HD TV... I thought I was finally contented with what I wanted then those darn 120Hz HD TVs came out :oops:

So I had to rethink everything again :cry:

Back