Angle-Dependancy AF on NV Hardware

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
We asked NVIDIA if this angle-dependency is a hardware limitation or a software one, they responded that this is a hardware issue.

Yay! Nice direct answer. We've had hints in that direction, but it's nice to get it that direct, and in a major-site review piece.

I don’t think we’ll be seeing any driver that will help in this area. We did learn that future generation video cards may not have this limitation, though nothing concrete on any details. Obviously NVIDIA don’t comment on unannounced products, but we think it likely that future cards may have better filtering, at least we hope.

This isn't quite as definitive as I'd like re G80 tho. Ah well, info on these things tends to come out in bits.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwMSwyLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Last edited by a moderator:
AF angle dependancy is hardware limitation... is that supposed to be new ?!
afaik It was written long ago on ixbt's interview with NV.

Link? If that's the one I'm thinking of, then I don't think it was quite that blunt --more like "yeah, we took some transistors out for AF going NV30 to NV40" rather than "we couldn't if we wanted to". But perhaps I'm misremembering.

on second thought... MAYBE the "hardware limitation" thing was written on ixbt's forum in comments to that interview from ixbt's editor ... I'll look for it tomorrow

Back