Anand states that a lot of NV30 info around is inaccurate

Ty said:
Doomtrooper said:
I just look at facts plus some..other info I have.

But weren't you the very one who earlier had said that the NV30 came back at .15um? Don't get me wrong, I really have no clue as to the status of the NV30 so I'm not arguing for either side but ...

Nope that was Mufu I believe....oh well time will tell :)

Pascal is right, Anand does NOT say NV30 is on time.

Will people stop doing crap like that. Simply annoying and they lose credibility.

Doomtrooper said:
Ty said:
But weren't you the very one who earlier had said that the NV30 came back at .15um? Don't get me wrong, I really have no clue as to the status of the NV30 so I'm not arguing for either side but ...

Nope that was Mufu I believe....oh well time will tell :)

Doomtrooper said:
not to mention a little birdie told me NV30 came back @ .15

Just to refresh your memory ;). Anyhow this just further illustrates why the idea of the NV30 being taped out is sooo prevalent. Everyone believed it. Mass hysteria? Mass hyponosis? Who knows. Russ is right, wait and see.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22036&highlight=back#22036

Its fun to watch the PR fly, especially since CEOs and other execs now have to watch what they say with the new laws coming into effect.

They hafta live up to what is said now, hence the "not taped out yet" comment versus a "oh, its taped out, we are agressively pursuing a ramp up on production" or something to that nature.

Times are changing for companies, this year is definitely interesting. :p

Re: Anand states that a lot of NV30 info around is inaccurat

Snyder said:
Oh well. Seems I've definitely missed something. ;)

Doesn't "on time" tend to lose a bit of it's meaning when a release date has never actually been announced? I can think of quite a few products that were technically released "on time" but not in a real timely manner. I'm not saying that's its going to be "late" but I tend to think that regardless of the EXPECTED time of release, marketing speak doesn't acknowledge lateness unless an initial date has been set and missed.

OK, here's an exercise in spin:

Title: "XP4 in action, R300 soon and NV30 on-time"

XP4 in action (going to discuss the XP4), R300 soon (going to address whether or not the R300 is going to be here soon) and NV30 on-time (going to address the rumor that the NV30 is on-time)

I'm working on a piece about NV30 right now, there's a lot of... unfortunately inaccurate... rumors...

The title is stating that the rumor of the NV30 being on-time is one of the things he will address, and in he mentions that a lot of rumors are unfortunately inaccurate. If the NV30 on-time rumor isn't true, that certainly is unfortunate.

:)

Of course, I personally think the wording of the title was perfectly clear, and it gives me hope that there will be two cards to choose from before Christmas.

Just flexing my spin-muscles. ;)

It is also possible that NVidia is using misdirection in their statements to confuse the competition. As Sun Tzu said, "When the trees move, the enemy is coming; when there are many blinds in the undergrowth, it is misdirection."

NVidia has publically made dismissive comments about a 256-bit bus as if to cause people to think that the NV30 won't have one. They have also said they focused more on computational efficiency rather than bandwidth efficiency this time. On the other hand, several NDAed people have said that the NV30 has a 256-bit bus. Why make dismissive comments about a 256 bit bus if they are implementing one?

Now we have NVidia several months ago saying "already taped out in May", and recently "just wrapping it up", so which is it? One motive for the conflicting signals is to confuse the PR/strategy departments of the competitors so that they can't have any PR response ready when NV30 finally launches, since they will have no idea of the actual specs and schedule. This prevents competitors from doing to NVidia what NVidia has done to competitors in the past, which is release a PR blitz on the launch date of a competitor's launch to try to steal some of their limelight.

In any case, I just don't see why G, D, and H are arguing so much about NVidia's schedule. If they get delayed by a few months, what's the big deal? It happened with GF3 and GF4. If they do make it on time, you'll just end up with egg on your face having wasted months arguing it couldn't be done.

Are you just secretly hoping with every once of your persona that NVidia fails? So you want no competition for the R300 this fall so ATI can overprice it?

There is obviously too litte Kremlology here :rolleyes: so I will make my contribution.

I think Anand means that his article on NV30 will be on time.

:D

LOL - Does Anand have a history of running ontime? What is his normal time from final edit to production?

The public must know 8)

DemoCoder said:
It is also possible that NVidia is using misdirection in their statements to confuse the competition. As Sun Tzu said, "When the trees move, the enemy is coming; when there are many blinds in the undergrowth, it is misdirection."

NVidia has publically made dismissive comments about a 256-bit bus as if to cause people to think that the NV30 won't have one. They have also said they focused more on computational efficiency rather than bandwidth efficiency this time. On the other hand, several NDAed people have said that the NV30 has a 256-bit bus. Why make dismissive comments about a 256 bit bus if they are implementing one?

Now we have NVidia several months ago saying "already taped out in May", and recently "just wrapping it up", so which is it? One motive for the conflicting signals is to confuse the PR/strategy departments of the competitors so that they can't have any PR response ready when NV30 finally launches, since they will have no idea of the actual specs and schedule. This prevents competitors from doing to NVidia what NVidia has done to competitors in the past, which is release a PR blitz on the launch date of a competitor's launch to try to steal some of their limelight.

In any case, I just don't see why G, D, and H are arguing so much about NVidia's schedule. If they get delayed by a few months, what's the big deal? It happened with GF3 and GF4. If they do make it on time, you'll just end up with egg on your face having wasted months arguing it couldn't be done.

Are you just secretly hoping with every once of your persona that NVidia fails? So you want no competition for the R300 this fall so ATI can overprice it?

Why would they try to "confuse" the competition by dismissing a 256bit bus? Honestly if ATi was so stupid that they just decided not to use a 256 bit bus just because Nvidia talked down about it, then they'd deserve to go out of business. Seriously, you are really overanalyzing the situation.

Saying they taped out back in May could possibly be to "worry" ATi, but I'm not sure that accomplished much if that was their intention. But everyone will know at least a week in advance before the NV30 is released, so I don't see how this would prevent ATi from raining on their parade.

But you're right since ATi has no competition, we can expect to pay through the nose for the R9700. :(

Bigus Dickus said:
The title is stating that the rumor of the NV30 being on-time is one of the things he will address, and in he mentions that a lot of rumors are unfortunately inaccurate. If the NV30 on-time rumor isn't true, that certainly is unfortunate.

Now I understand, there is a verb (is) missing.
hehehe, this 3D industry is full of rumours and nobody is responsible for nothing :LOL:

Each company know very well what the other is doing, the rumours doesnt affect them. You dont make money directlly with rumours but you make MINDSHARE that you can capitalize after.

In the end I hope consumers will act like consumers, not like soccer fans :LOL:

Back