Distribution of ex-3DFX and SGI engineers between IHVs?

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
I know this might seem like a strange topic; however, the more I look at old or extremely recent information pieces, the least sense it makes to me. The following is either fact, or highly reliable information.

- NVIDIA proposed 100 3DFX engineers to join them.
- A few key engineers joined, among which one who is responsible for NV40's Pixel Shading and Texture technology, including the L2 cache implementation afaik.
- 60%+ of the 3DFX engineers at NVIDIA work on nForce-related projects, and not on the GPU family of products. Remember 3DFX had a motherboard project in progress, which evantually failed because of the apparent impossibility to manufacture the design sufficiently massively and cheaply, partly because of a too high number of layers. (an ex-NVIDIA source told me all of the ex-3DFX engineers he knew at NVIDIA worked on the nForce chipsets)
- Ex-3DFX's contribution couldn't have been *too* significant for the nForce 1, as it is a direct derivative of the XBox chipset. They would have joined in the last 25% of the project; major contributions to the nForce2 seem more likely.

- Two major projects were underway at 3DFX; Rampage (and Sage, ofc, Spectre as a whole) and Fusion. The Rampage team was extremely dissapointed of the dissolution of the company, as it had working Rampage silicon shortly before that, and initial results were very positive.
- Fusion, on the other hand, was in its early stages and was to exclusively support FP16. This is extremely unreliable information though, but it feels quite likely to me; however, the project was in its preliminary stages, so it might have changed afterwards - it feels likely to me this is where the "FP16-FP32" compromise in the NV30 came from, as sort of a compromise between 3DFX and NVIDIA, who already had working FP32 in the NV20 for specific texture operations)
- Fusion's design was merged with NV30's, which I believe meant that initial rumors regarding the NV30 design came from 3 separate directions: The original, pre-buyoyt NV30 plans, the 3DFX Fusion project plans, and the Work In Progress for the final design at NVIDIA - which changed quite a bit due to a nice amount of fuckups. This, however, is once again speculation from my part.
- Some of Rampage's engineers went to ATI as I said, but I haven't got the slightest clue of the real proportions between NVIDIA and ATI. The only real influence I can see from Rampage in the R300 is the anti-aliasing technology, which does share many common points, although it is obviously improved in the R300 (mostly by doubling the number of ROPs per pipeline, I believe)

Now, regarding SGI:
- SGI's graphics division officially ended when they entered in a strategic alliance with NVIDIA (which is ironic, considering some of their current high-end is ATI-based) and many of their remaining engineers were given to NVIDIA for the NV20.There most likely is an influence from those engineers regarding the shading engines of the chip
- But I speculate not regarding its quad structure, which was already present in the NV10 from what I understand (using a single 4x2 quad has been a defining characteristic of all chips between NV10 and NV38, excluding the MXs that worked in a delay scheme I believe)
- Many SGI graphics engineers had apparently joined other companies - including NVIDIA, ATI and most particularly ArtX - before their strategic alliance with NVIDIA.
- Since the ArtX being buyout by ATI, NVIDIA now has less ex-SGI engineers than ATI. ATI has slightly more engineers than NVIDIA overall, or at least used to.

So anyhow, if anyone else knows something or just saw something on a forum/heard it from soemone midly reliable, please do say so! Recruitment proportions between the different IHVs, and possibly Quantum3D, would be most interesting. Oh by the way, I believe one of the uses of the new NVIDIA design lab in India might be to have testing capabilities nearer to Taiwan, reducing delays between tape-out, testing and worldwide release, including shipment to partners. Any confirmation on that would be interesting also.

Uttar
P.S.: Please? :) I'm mostly curious really, this whole thing has been bugging me for a while; I seem to have a lot of elements that, put together, make a lot of sense but I don't have enough details to really be sure about the big picture.

"Tape out" is electronic, so proximity isn't much of an issue. You might gain a day or so shuttling the wafers from the fabs to the packaging to the brinup / testing facility if it was in closer proximity, but thats probably not a great deal - generally these early test wafers are picked up by hand and flown back with them when they do the bringup.

sireric said:
Sorry, no 3dfx influence on ATI's AA technology -- Either direct or indirect.

I think that possibly this popular confusion may exist simply because after 3dfx introduced and popularized FSAA shortly before exiting stage left, it wasn't until ATi reintroduced a decent implementation of FSAA (with R300) that FSAA went mainstream as a "must have" 3d feature. Thus the "link" is seen between 3dfx and ATi in terms of FSAA, when in reality the only link is that both companies produced a superior implementation of FSAA (whereas nV has to this day never quite gotten the "hang" of it...;))

When 3dfx was doing fairly good FSAA initially for the period, nV was busy, as usual, arguing against FSAA and trying to downplay its importance to 3d (as if high resolution and FSAA were somehow mutually incompatible within 3d.) When R300 erupted onto the scene with an excellent FSAA implementation (among other things) nV was no longer able to make those arguments as the R300's IQ spoke eloquently for itself and denial pertaining to the benefits of FSAA was no longer possible. So considering how openly anti-FSAA nV was for so long, and contrasting that attitude to 3dfx's and then ATi's promotion of FSAA, it's not surprising that some might construe a direct link between 3dfx and ATi in terms of FSAA implementation, even though, as you say, ATi's FSAA implementation approach was developed independently of 3dfx's and no such direct link ever existed.

(At least, this is how I would explain the opinion that somehow 3dfx and ATi's FSAA efforts were linked.)

WaltC said:
sireric said:
typical "I hate NVIDIA" tripe
did you somehow miss the statement in the original post
Uttar said:
The only real influence I can see from Rampage in the R300 is the anti-aliasing technology, which does share many common points, although it is obviously improved in the R300 (mostly by doubling the number of ROPs per pipeline, I believe)
or did you just feel like wasting everybody's time with the same crap you post in every thread? there's no "popular confusion" to be debunked. there was a statement--"Rampage impacted R300 AA"--which we were then told to be false. will you please grow up and stop with the constant fanboy nonsense?

The Baron said:
or did you just feel like wasting everybody's time with the same crap you post in every thread? there's no "popular confusion" to be debunked. there was a statement--"Rampage impacted R300 AA"--which we were then told to be false. will you please grow up and stop with the constant fanboy nonsense?

Yes, the statement you describe was based on the popular confusion which I described. If you have a better explanation, please share it...;) Ah, if only everything everybody thinks they know about "Rampage" was true...that'd be something, wouldn't it? Rampage is the best mythical gpu I've ever read about, actually...;)

I wasn't aware I'd said "I hate nV" anywhere in my post, btw. It's too bad that the mere recitation of historical fact leads you to make immature "hate-fanboyy" posts--it really is. But it is nevertheless true that when 3dfx shipped the V5.5K with FSAA nV made many loud statements as to why nV didn't think 3d needed anything except high res. I could have also stated that 3dfx disparaged things like anisotropic filtering and hardware T&L for the same reasons nVidia disparaged FSAA in the V5. But you see the topic was FSAA and so I didn't.

As stated there was no "link" at all there--so the question remains as to why anyone might think there was--and that was the subject of my reply. If you want to disagree, that's fine--but I'd advise against letting your emotions turn you down a blind alley...;)

WaltC said:
sireric said:

I think that possibly this popular confusion may exist simply because after 3dfx introduced and popularized FSAA shortly before exiting stage left, it wasn't until ATi reintroduced a decent implementation of FSAA (with R300) that FSAA went mainstream as a "must have" 3d feature. Thus the "link" is seen between 3dfx and ATi in terms of FSAA, when in reality the only link is that both companies produced a superior implementation of FSAA (whereas nV has to this day never quite gotten the "hang" of it...;))

When 3dfx was doing fairly good FSAA initially for the period, nV was busy, as usual, arguing against FSAA and trying to downplay its importance to 3d (as if high resolution and FSAA were somehow mutually incompatible within 3d.) When R300 erupted onto the scene with an excellent FSAA implementation (among other things) nV was no longer able to make those arguments as the R300's IQ spoke eloquently for itself and denial pertaining to the benefits of FSAA was no longer possible. So considering how openly anti-FSAA nV was for so long, and contrasting that attitude to 3dfx's and then ATi's promotion of FSAA, it's not surprising that some might construe a direct link between 3dfx and ATi in terms of FSAA implementation, even though, as you say, ATi's FSAA implementation approach was developed independently of 3dfx's and no such direct link ever existed.

(At least, this is how I would explain the opinion that somehow 3dfx and ATi's FSAA efforts were linked.)

He was simply pointing out your unnecessary inclusion of jabs (in bold) against nvidia which are totally irrelevant to the context of the topic at hand (Rampage's influence on ATI AA)

trinibwoy said:
He was simply pointing out your unnecessary inclusion of jabs (in bold) against nvidia which are totally irrelevant to the context of the topic at hand (Rampage's influence on ATI AA)

Again, as we know, there was no Rampage influence on ATi FSAA even though the thread incorrectly assumed otherwise, so I feel it entirely on topic to offer an opinion as to why anyone might mistakenly think ATi was influenced by 3dfx's FSAA implementation. I also did not make any comments in bold in my original post. If you'd care to disagree with my opinion, fine--but please try and refrain from complaining that I have an opinion and usually am not shy about stating it...;) (Not to mention that I've always thought that forums were *the place* to share opinions in the first place.)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just don't really know what you're trying to say. You still haven't clearly demonstrated how nvidia's stance on AA has anything to do with people's perception that ATI's AA was influenced by 3dfx/Rampage.

WaltC said:
So considering how openly anti-FSAA nV was for so long, and contrasting that attitude to 3dfx's and then ATi's promotion of FSAA, it's not surprising that some might construe a direct link between 3dfx and ATi in terms of FSAA implementation

If I understand correctly you could've posted this alone to get your point across. All of the other fluff seemed to be tacked-on to take pot shots at nvidia. Also, I would think ATI inheriting some of 3dx's engineers is a more compelling reason for the misconception than 'Nvidia was against FSAA and 3dfx wasn't so therefore ATI's FSAA must have been influenced by 3dfx'.

WaltC said:
Yes, the statement you describe was based on the popular confusion which I described.
I have yet to see an indication that the "popular confusion" you described even exists.

Ah, if only everything everybody thinks they know about "Rampage" was true...that'd be something, wouldn't it? Rampage is the best mythical gpu I've ever read about, actually...;)
Well, I know that most of what I know about Rampage is true... ;)

But it is nevertheless true that when 3dfx shipped the V5.5K with FSAA nV made many loud statements as to why nV didn't think 3d needed anything except high res.
They downplayed FSAA for obvious reasons at that time. Nevertheless, they implemented AA even before 3dfx shipped the V5, and were first to present MSAA in the consumer space.

WaltC said:
As stated there was no "link" at all there--so the question remains as to why anyone might think there was--and that was the subject of my reply. If you want to disagree, that's fine--but I'd advise against letting your emotions turn you down a blind alley...;)
Uttar said:
- Some of Rampage's engineers went to ATI as I said, but I haven't got the slightest clue of the real proportions between NVIDIA and ATI. The only real influence I can see from Rampage in the R300 is the anti-aliasing technology, which does share many common points, although it is obviously improved in the R300 (mostly by doubling the number of ROPs per pipeline, I believe)
wow. I never realized reading a post was this tough. as stated by sireric, there was not a link between Rampage AA and R300 AA. Uttar had pretty good justification for believing that there was, especially considering similarities between R300 and Rampage AA, so either you're not reading posts before you decide to reply to them or you're just ignoring anything that doesn't support your "NVIDIA is evil" viewpoint.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bitboys/page3.asp
When the Bitboys' Dallas office was open, it was comprised entirely of former 3dfx employees.

I haven't followed what happened to guys working in dallas... I do know that Long continued in behind the scenes after signing off from CEO and Dave Barron used to work for the company even after the Dallas Offices were closed.

Right now, Bitboys states around 40 employees and I do know that some of them are business veterans. (I had possibility to have a kind of anonymous chat after Bitboys had their seminar at Assembly 04.)

As Nappe's mysterious ending message: Let's see what we can bring in this year... There's few rabbits to be pull out from the hat. ;)

WaltC said:
sireric said:

I think that possibly this popular confusion may exist simply because after 3dfx introduced and popularized FSAA ...

Errr, I don't believe 3dfx were the first to have FSAA in the consumer market.

Simon F said:
WaltC said:
sireric said:

I think that possibly this popular confusion may exist simply because after 3dfx introduced and popularized FSAA ...

neither do I, though I don't recal any FSAA being available before 3dfx's VSA chips. Still I am sure that there was whole bunch of edge AA implementations before VSA. basically everyone had a one (even 3Dfx had it in Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2), though the effect on image quality can be argued.

Simon F said:
WaltC said:
sireric said:

3dfx had the first one that worked in most games though.(Nvidia's FSAA was out before, but it wasn't hyped the same and had many more compatibility problems)

Mendel said:
I guess he disagrees on the definition of "consumer" then here? :?
No, only the assertion that 3dfx (or NV for that matter) were first.

Back