AMD's "Trick" for Summer 2006

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
Anand said:
AMD does have one last trick up its sleeve before the end of the year, and you will hear about it in June. It's not K8L and it's not going to affect the majority of people, but it is an interesting stop gap solution for the high end in 2006

Kyle said:
I would keep in mind that AMD has not let all their cats out of the bag just quite yet. I would expect to see at least one more hardcore enthusiast trick up their sleeve before year’s end.

I quit believing in coincidence in computer hardware rumors some time ago. :LOL:

So what's up?

Okay, a 3.2 GHz Opteron or X2? :)

I'm wildly guessing here. :D

There's been a rumour that it's an fx with a shitload of L3. But I'm sure that's what radeonic meant ;)

Still wont fend off a 3+GHz Conroe. But I don't think they are supposed to launch the extreme edition until much later in the year.

maaoouud said:
There's been a rumour that it's an fx with a shitload of L3. But I'm sure that's what radeonic meant ;)

Still wont fend off a 3+GHz Conroe. But I don't think they are supposed to launch the extreme edition until much later in the year.
actually I had forgotten about that...

Acert93 said:

Those quotes are from the reviews of the new AMD processors. So I doubt thats it. ;)

When is 65nm suppose to come from AMD? I suppose with a new process we could expect decent Mhz jumps, something in the order of 400Mhz or 600Mhz would be nice. Also, I noticed that the L2 cache on the processors is only 512KB per core, bumping that up to 1MB or heck even 2MB would provide good performance benefits and then throw some L3 into the fold and you have a chip that could easily hold its on for a good while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the L3 really have a benefit (for games I mean)? I've searched some articles that investigate the L3 with Xeon and they don't show anything significant and usually only in CPU limited situations i.e. low resolution.

A large (and perhaps slow) L3 cache is really only useful for multiple CPU system where interconnection could be a bottleneck. It could help a little for deskop applications and games, but even so the effects would be quite small because K8 already have integrated memory controller and a large L3 cache will not be able to reduce the latency that much.

Maybe the rumored anti-hyperthreading can be done by driver like CnQ?
A 2.8ghz x2 with that could give a good singlethread boost...

The simplest answer is usually the right one.

My guess would be a 3.0 or 3.2 GHz X2 like some of you have mentioned along with an increase in cache, 1 or 2MB L2 or L3.

Would L3 cache actually help at all though ? My laymans view of L3 is that it's usdd if the memory cannot provide enough data quick enough, but with the AM2 results the extra bandwidth of the DDR2 did not seem to help much apart from the memory synthetic tests.

Maybe they will jump a slot and will put out a 3.2Ghz FX-66 and it is as simple as that ?

Back