AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

http://www.techpowerup.com/191768/radeon-r9-290x-clock-speeds-surface-benchmarked.html

1a.jpg
Sweet. So the average and minimum for the Titan are the same 15.1 fps. That is one hell of a consistent (if low) benchmark run! :rolleyes: Quite a neat trick getting the maximum that high also. I was figuring on....maybe 15.1 fps ?

Sweet. So the average and minimum for the Titan are the same 15.1 fps. That is one hell of a consistent (if low) benchmark run! :rolleyes: Quite a neat trick getting the maximum that high also. I was figuring on....maybe 15.1 fps ?

And under FXAA the average frame rate is lower than the minimum.

I think we can conclude it is faked then.

Yeah those clocks definitely don't jive with either AMD's quoted triangle rates or bandwidth so there's hopefully some mistake. Great to hear its faster than Titan even at those speeds though.

I was do the same comment on an other forum about this.. Thoses information are completely contradict the AMD presentation..

The memory bandwith: 288GB/s is the same of the 7970 (ghz), what interest to pull a 512bit MC for get the same bandwith and it dont match the 300GB/s of their slide.

No "turbo" or higher turbo clock: if it can only lower clock, its more like the 6000 series era..

Core clock speed, dont match the presentation slide " > of 5Tflops", triangle rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graphics score: 10882, almost 1000 more than titan. 9238 total score.

If this was true, why in AMD slide it only showed near 8000 for R9-290X?.

I dont know if it is true or not.. ( i mostly think it is a fake, could be overclocked etc ).. But i will not too much base myself on what we have seen on the presentation about performance.. They was really not give any real precise numbers.. only some hint ( higher of, more of ... )

Was the dual bios rumour confirmed? That's the only way this latest round of "benchmarks" makes any kind of sense I think.

So, with 1050MHz GPU clock, the hint at "over 5TFLOPs" most probably leads to 2560 ALUs (40 CUs) and 4200M primitives/sec.

if it's true Titan looks to stay on top, and r9 290x will fight only vs gtx 780 and no chance vs probable gtx 785/gtx Titan ultra...What you think ?

So, with 1050MHz GPU clock, the hint at "over 5TFLOPs" most probably leads to 2560 ALUs (40 CUs) and 4200M primitives/sec.
Or the R9-290 has 40 CUs at slightly below 1 GHz and the 290X has the rumored 44 CUs@1050Mhz resulting in 5.91 TFlop/s. Would still be above 5 TFlop/s. They had to use the 6.2 billion transistors for something. ;)

wasn't the crossfire bridge about 5GB/s? (or was that SLI?).
and that's probably peak, I'd think 4GB/s real performance might have not been possible, PCIe should be able to handle those 4GB/s.

edit: http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/video/ATI/4870X2/sideport.jpg
5GB/s bi-directional in addition to 5GB bi-directional via PCIe 2.0

Um, sideport != CF bridge. I would be very surprised if the CF bridge interface was even 2x PCI-e. Its been a while since I've looked at it, but I not sure it has enough traces to do anything above 1x PCI-e which would put it the bridge at 1GB/s.

Back