AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Wow, full Tonga could give Hawaii a run for its money. Especially if they can put 6-7GHz GDDR5 on that 384bit bus.

Im really not sure that this 384bit MC exist in Tonga.... But maybe. ( does thoses cores images are made by PCwatch ? Edit: yes just seen the signature on it ).

I really dont know if this is accurate...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will at least come very close to the R9 290, and at a fair bit lower TDP.

I don' know about that. 14% percent more shaders, 50% more ROPs and 50% more bandwidth aren't going to equal 40% more performance.

Particularly when you considering the new changes to GCN make it less reliant on bandwidth, the main area where performance improvements are going to come from is the 14 percent more shaders.

Compared to the big cards nowadays, the r9 285 has alot of catching up to do.

And I think we could see a card that's about 5 to 10% faster than a 280x(a bit better than r9 285 does percentage wise, vs the r9 280), but that's still solidly behind the r9 290.

I don' know about that. 14% percent more shaders, 50% more ROPs and 50% more bandwidth aren't going to equal 40% more performance.

Particularly when you considering the new changes to GCN make it less reliant on bandwidth, the main area where performance improvements are going to come from is the 14 percent more shaders.

Compared to the big cards nowadays, the r9 285 has alot of catching up to do.

And I think we could see a card that's about 5 to 10% faster than a 280x(a bit better than r9 285 does percentage wise, vs the r9 280), but that's still solidly behind the r9 290.

It needs a clockspeed boost of about 20% to be in the 290 ballpark.

It needs a clockspeed boost of about 20% to be in the 290 ballpark.

That's something I can agree with. 20% on the clocks of the r9 285 along with it being fully enabled could match a 290.

But there is little indication going from the r9 285, that tonga likes clocks. In general, the reviews that I have seen for the r9 285 seem to show it is clock limited.

Radon R9 300 - Q2 2015

AMD has released a 12 point talking point PR piece to counter the GTX 980/970 release.

Article about it here:

http://wccftech.com/amd-promises-competition-gtx-980-gtx-970-12-points-choose-radeon
It is at this point that AMD promised that it is definitely not out of the game and will be back for more, although you might have to wait a bit. The time frame for Radon R9 300 Series Flagships could extend to as much as Q2 2015. Now, AMD also stated reasons why you should go Radeon and for the purpose of this demonstration they chose the R9 285 Tonga GPU vs the GTX 760. Here are the twelve points:

1. (AMD is) The Future of Gaming
2. (AMD is) For those who demand the best for their Money
3. AMD Radeon Graphics – Upto 26% higher performance over the GTX 760
4. Freesync
5. Eyefinity
6. True Audio
7. (AMD Radeon Graphics are) 4K ready.
8. (AMD Radeon Graphics boast) DirectX 12 AND Mantle
9. AMD PowerTune Technology
10. Unique Board Designs
11. AMD Gaming Evolved Client
12. Latest Graphics Core Next Architecture

I thought wccftech was making this up, but the slides seem to be real. It's sad how AMD's PR has gone truly off the rails. As if there's nobody sane left to say 'guys, are you sure this is a good idea?'

That said, I think the decision of AMD to hold on to its prices very courageous. (
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ik8JT2S-kBE)

Last edited by a moderator:
"3. AMD Radeon Graphics – Upto 26% higher performance over the GTX 760"

Nice counter to the launch of 970/980... I'm sorry to say, but more accurate would be

"every Radeon looks like a joke next to the 970"

And to be honest I don't have much hope at the moment that the upcoming watercooled 500mm2 chip is going to look much better against the big Maxwell, but if nVidia only launches it as a Titan for the first few months, then AMD has some breathing room, if they aren't still beaten to the market...

Well 80% of that list is complete rubbish regardless of when it was written.

1. (AMD is) The Future of Gaming - This really makes me want to go buy a Radeon! :LOL:

Anyhow it's not just AMD's marketing department that puts stuff like this out. Marketing in general is a joke.

Back