AMD: Sea Islands R1100 (8*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

GK110 (Titan) might still come in February. I think this rumor concerns the "normal" Kepler refresh. And maybe both companies still have much inventory or would be forced to make larger more expensive chips?
In case of AMD this decision (if true) seems to be very very spontaneous, though. They just said new cards will come out in H1 2013.

GK110 (Titan) might still come in February. I think this rumor concerns the "normal" Kepler refresh. And maybe both companies still have much inventory or would be forced to make larger more expensive chips?
In case of AMD this decision (if true) seems to be very very spontaneous, though. They just said new cards will come out in H1 2013.

Typically, new generations bring improvements in performance/mm², small though they may sometimes be.

So while any given chips may be larger than the ones they replace, overall performance/manufacturing_cost increases, which is good for margins because it means you can sell chips of similar size for a bit more money (since they're faster) or chips of similar performance for the same price but at lower manufacturing cost (since they're smaller).

So I'm calling complete bullshit on this one. Plus, it's not even double confirmed.

Still makes no sense. Both GK110 and AMD's new series are on 28nm. If you have better products ready for production, compared to what you're selling now, it very rarely makes sense to delay them.

Define "better". If we consider that the new cards will use the same process and need to be at least 15-20% faster than the current cards, I would be surprised if the die size would not go up as well. (might only slightly but still) So where is the advantage for NV and AMD? Especially when both know that the next line of cards is still a long way off.

So I'm calling complete bullshit on this one. Plus, it's not even double confirmed.
InfinitePCGaming asked AMD on Twitter, "When can we expect more info on the desktop 8000 series or is AMD going to hold off until NVIDIA makes a move w/ the 700 series?" and AMD replied by saying, "The AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series is our focus for the foreseeable future. ^RH" (the conversation is here).

(Thanks to boxleitnerb mentioning a similar Twitter post. I couldn't find the question that gave this response, and I instead stumbled upon the similar answer above.)

It doesn't seem promising for new chips anytime soon. I wonder if it also means that the retail 7000 series won't be rebranded into the 8000 series, which I guess is not a bad thing.

Not sure why people always try to read anything into canned responses. What would you expect them to say when they don't talk about unreleased products?

The only feedback for this could be negative. I think they are going to bleed even more money because of lack of anything new on the market.

What does that mean ? this is ridiculous !! do they expect they could maintain competitiveness by not releasing anything ? I hope this is just a silly fake joke .

If the competition does release just as many new products, there is no problem.

Ooh no, this is a problem, and i think the same think of David ... How a company who is expected to release new produts for drain sold ( and so money etc ), can live without release new product. Its a non sense, even if they are not as good as they had expect, or if they expect problem with the next process ( 20nm ) ..i can certified you they will release them, because, bad products is better of nothing.. And specially for the stock owners of the company ... they cant take a break of nearly one year as rumored ( Q4 2013 ) like that lol..

Performance of a company is based on 4 quarter.. Q1-Q2 etc.. and on the end you have the whole pictures ( offtly less used, because financial market like to compare Quarter over quarter insted of year over year ).. What will happend to the performance of Nvidia and AMD if they dont release any new series before Q4 2013 ? you imagine how will look their performance for the complete 2013 year and the quarter over quarter financially speaking? its a nightmare.

And its not true Nvidia will not releasing anything... they will drain a lof of marketing impact with the "Titan" ... AMD cant stay there looking at that and do nothing about the plans of Nvidia marketing .. Who can lead in a extreme injury for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple you add value to the current products, hoping some might get a seconf cards, you will get more of the previous generation card owners to up-grade or maybe even some up-grading within your line-up. And you still sell to the OEMs. Has AMD not just "reloaded" a certain program that adds quite some value to their current GPU line-up....

Simple you add value to the current products, hoping some might get a seconf cards, you will get more of the previous generation card owners to up-grade or maybe even some up-grading within your line-up. And you still sell to the OEMs. Has AMD not just "reloaded" a certain program that adds quite some value to their current GPU line-up....

Thoses offers are short term value, offtly used for clean the stocks... rarely made for take a years ..

10 years ago, i will have say ok.. no problem, but with the rythm have take this industry thoses last 5 years ( one new series by year ).. its really hard to imagine it ..

Understand me, i dont say it is impossible to see this happend, i say if this happend it is because something who are over Nvidia and AMD have bring to this decision. Damn, AMD have release the 7000 series in January 2012 .. i really dont see them wait Q4 2013.. this mean revenue from a new series starting on Q1 2014 ... Your revenue will forcibly go down all the way during this 2013 years.. ( and they was not glorious in 2012 ( yes you can let OEM release HD8970, but who are in reality an HD 7970, but how much do you think OEM pay for this ? )

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that smaller manufacturing processes take way longer to be ready (and especially before they get cheaper to use than the older ones) then before. Even if TSMC could keep their roadmap, they expect 2 years between 16nm and 10nm. And when you thought going from 40nm to 28nm was bad, well I guess their are big chances, that every new step will be worse.

Ok, 2 years but let's make it clear- do we expect revision of 7000 series or a new process after Q4 2011/ Q1 2012 when we saw for the last time a new series. If there is launch of update on 28 nm, then expect next series on 20 nm in Q4 2015 or Q1 2016. Which doesn't make any sense. Really, no.

And 2 years is normal- 1st year- 1st generation on new process, 2nd year- improved products on the same process.
So, why do they need two years, does it mean the time gap between 28 and 20 nm will be 4 years?

So, why do they need two years?

Probably a combination of devoting resources/teams to work on Wii U, Xbox Next and PS4 (possibly even SteamBox) and at the same time being stuck on 28nm waiting for smaller node(s) and having to compete for manuf. capacity with those customers (if any of them use TSMC that is) plus the fact that their internal roadmaps and other strategically important documents were stolen by former employees who went to work for their direct competitor and are forcibly changing things around.

Back