AMD Resolves Issues with DX9 Games

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Jawed, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Jawed

Legend

Grall, pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  2. DavidGraham

Veteran

The tech forums are literally up in arms about AMD's response to the issue of several DX9 games crashing after the Adrenaline driver update. AMD's rep official forum response is:
    "This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules"

Games affected include: Witcher 1, Red Alert 3, C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, Battle For Middle Earth, C&C4 and probably many more (including DX8, DX7 and older titles).

This is truly disturbing, backward compatibility is the ABC of PC gaming, and the possibility of AMD abandoning older games could really shred the remainder of AMD install base, especially for an API as wide spread and invasive as DX9, which still receives games to this day.

https://www.techpowerup.com/240103/amd-unlikely-to-fix-dx9-games-bugged-by-adrenalin-driver

#2 DavidGraham, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Cyan and Grall like this.
  3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

For additional context:

Among the games affected, old as they may seem, are AAA blockbusters, including "C&C3 Tiberium Wars," "C&C3 Kane's Wrath," "C&C Red Alert 3," "C&C Red Alert 3 Upising," "C&C4 Tiberian Twilight," "Battle for Middle Earth 1-2," and "The Witcher Enhanced Edition." AMD blames its inability to fix these issues to outdated API models. The company's full statement reads "This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by outdated API modules."

And more questions about support for dx9 ending: https://community.amd.com/message/2840491

http://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7na5ws

4. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

Wow I don't even know what to say... I guess its good that I rolled back to a pre-adrenalin driver. You're right though playing old games is a staple of PC gaming, I'd call this a problem. I wonder why AMD is going this route... I guess they're really strapped for cash... but Ryzen was a big success and the mining craze must be good for there bottom line too. Ah well I was going to consider both volta and navi for my next video card, but if this is true and volta comes out before navi I might not wait for navi.

Cyan likes this.
  5. pharma

Veteran Regular

List of games growing ....
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7ncr3y

Cyan and BRiT like this.
  6. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

People play C&C4?

Why??

Silent_Buddha and swaaye like this.
  7. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

What the heck amd you have been doing so good

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

The fuck are these assclowns doing? If these games worked before adrenalin, what the hell did they do to their driver in this version to break them?!

Not that I personally play very many games these days, but it would piss me off mightily if I would want to some day, and then be unable to because of AMD's shitty incompatible drivers.

I thought we were past this point where AMD's (or well, ATi's, really) most distinguishing property was their bad drivers.

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

The time is ripe for DX11/DX12 remasters :3

Silent_Buddha and Grall like this.
  10. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

it they don't fix that, as the AMD fan that I've been for years, I am not going to buy a AMD card ever in my life again. Even if I wanted one to mine

11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

I'd just say backwards compatibility is the ABC of PC, just like that.

The Witcher 1 not working well? (it is my favourite of the 3 games in the series) and Skyrim=??????????? One of my favourite games ever.... If they dont fix that, good riddance AMD, forever, my desktop PC is a custom made AMD PC, and if they dont change that, the last ever for me.

DavidGraham likes this.
  12. Sinistar

Sinistar I LIVE
    Regular Subscriber

just tried Skyrim non SE version and Fallout 3, both run just fine here.

Lightman likes this.
  13. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Is it with new cards only or does it effect older cards as well?

14. HMBR

Regular

the DX9 games that I play are working fine with these drivers, but it's worrying for a company to react like this to users reporting issues caused by new drivers,
    tbh I remember some newer Nvidia drivers breaking DX9 games not long ago, but they were eventually fixed.

BRiT likes this.
  15. pharma

Veteran Regular

Effects old cards as well according to some of reddit and forum postings.

16. hoom

Veteran

Not awesome.
    Hopefully the necessary someone in AMD is currently on holiday & will kick some asses when they get back.

On the other hand historically NV abandons old hardware/APIs in drivers much earlier than AMD yet people still buy NV...

BRiT likes this.
  17. DavidGraham

Veteran

Never heard of them dropping support for any version of DirectX (DX6 or whatever) or specific games, care to elaborate?

And no, right now they support more GPU generations than AMD. They have driver and DX12 support for 2010 cards (Fermi and beyond), while AMD only supports GCN cards with those (from 2012), leaving out VLIW5 and VLIW4 cards. NVIDIA also supports more Windows options (7, 8 and 10). AMD only supports 7 and 10.

#17 DavidGraham, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    pharma likes this.
  18. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Did I just see someone say AMD supports hardware longer than NV? GeForce 6 got drivers for ~12 months beyond Radeon HD 4000. You can use a GF6 on Windows 98 to Windows 8!

#18 swaaye, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    pharma and DavidGraham like this.
  19. Ryan Smith

Regular

The honesty is refreshing.

pharma likes this.
  20. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Disapointing